Tired of tires that are too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I have a 1998 F-150 work truck I got in a trade. Instread of the stock 235-70-16's, the previous owner is running 265-75-16's. Thats too big especially for a single cab with just a 4.2L V6 under the hood. Not only does the trucks performance lag, but the handeling is poor too. At least it does have a manual trans, that helps some.

FWIW, I think stock sizes are better for pickups. Just wanted to share my opinion for those who itch to "go big" with their tires. Think it out before you do.

The good news is that you can drive to a tire store, and get the size you want installed today. The tire store might even give you something for your old tires, if you ask.

everyones choice for sure but oversized overweight tyres + rims is for looks + costs more, likewise big wheels with rubberband tyres on a car is the same issue, its your $$$$$$$

Yeah, most people get larger wheels/tires for their vehicles just for looks. I always get a chuckle when I see a pickup that has huge tires on it, and it probably never leaves the hard surface road. Just a city cruiser. My 2500 is on gravel roads daily and off road several times a week and I never felt the need to put excessively larger tires on it.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Yeah, most people get larger wheels/tires for their vehicles just for looks. I always get a chuckle when I see a pickup that has huge tires on it, and it probably never leaves the hard surface road. Just a city cruiser. My 2500 is on gravel roads daily and off road several times a week and I never felt the need to put excessively larger tires on it.

And some of us live in places where we DO need 35x12.50x15s. [censored], most places in AK 35's are street tires and 40's and bigger are where the real buggies start.

FullSizeRender_zpswyu7hu4s.jpg

When shopping trucks last year factory tires were mainly 20's and 22's on any of the more well equipped rigs. Put a 285/60 on either and they are certainly big enough.

Bigger tires are usually a fashion accessory, many of these guys don't even go off road.

These guys are cool with a lot of fitment videos & examples. www.customoffsetwheels.com

I'm on my second set of 275/65/20s on my D-Max, and 3rd set of 265/60/20s on a 2013 GMC 1500.
With a little work on the inner fender behind the tires,
I should be able to fit the 275s on the 1500, and move up to 295/65/20s on the HD.
The 1500 has the max towing option with lower gearing than the stock set up.

Just look at your owners handbook tyre size page for a list of options and don't forget that the winter tyres (If you use them) size might be different to the summer ones. Wide tyres can be bad news in snow.

If you decide to fit non standard size tyres ask your insurance company if that is OK, cos many cheaper ones regard fitting non standard tyres as a Mod that requires approval. That can result in the hull part of the policy being invalidated under the undeclared Mod, negligence or failure to describe the vehicle correctly sections.

Many OEM tyres are selected for max fuel economy, which is why they list options that might be better for cornering, off roading or winter use. Some of them might be listed for use with approved lowering kits, towing or active suspension options.

Last edited:
The giant tire thing is idiotic on trucks and cars. I don't mean 31-37+" flotation LT series tires on actual off-road vehicles... I mean every pedestrian vehicle being shod with 18-20" wheels and big, wide tires. You know what they say about fools and their money?

I get it that a bigger wheel allows a bigger brake, but if that's not part of the deal, I'm not seeing the benefit, especially if unsprung mass comes with it.

Big wheels and tires on econoboxes are equally stupid.

I'm all for high speed rating, high quality tires for the purpose of handling and safety, but often this goes beyond a point of diminishing returns, and actually decreases safety as those with fewer means compromise on tires because they have these obnoxious sizes on their vehicle.

UPDATE:

I finally made the change. The 265's truck tires are GONE, and replaced with highway tread 235-70-16's.

Ah. what a difference! I am totally happy. The old truck rides like new again.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
The stock 235/70/16 size in the F150 is a bit on the puny side if you intend to haul or tow. It makes for great highway mileage and easy steering but that's about it.

I believe the Sport models had 255/70/16 which looks a bit more proportional and is less bouncy.

But yeah the trend of putting swampers on a truck or Jeep that never leaves the pavement is getting ridiculous.

Then upgrade to LT tires. No problem hauling a 30 foot enclosed trailer with a racecar in it across country on 235's.

Certainly a popular topic. FWIW here is my experience on my 2011 F150 with 5.0L and 4x4.

Stock 235 pizza cutters lacked traction all the time. Rode ok, but lots of flex in all corners, even running Bilstein shocks.

Optional stock size of P265/70r17 rode great. Seemed like "the right" size for the truck when driving. Looked small with the leveling kit on the front, looked small with stock rear suspension.

Bigger LT285/70r17 tires looks great with the leveling kit and stock rear suspension. Handles great, traction is great. Snow traction is great (tire model is a big part of that snow performance). These tires are HEAVY, though, and you can feel that in braking and acceleration. These tires are heavier than some competitors. In this truck, the braking system and drivetrain can handle the extra load just fine... but you can feel it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back