Sold my Dodge Ram 2500 with Cummins diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 3 or 4 months on Craig's List I got $4500 for it. Lots of $2500 or $3000 offers without looking.

I think the lack of much rust due to CarWell was a plus. But many wanted a 4WD. This was RWD.

It would have been a good vehicle for towing. Unsure what buyer has in mind. Plates in the mail to DMV. Removed from insurance.

Now to concentrate on Snowcat.

To look at cost of ownership. Vehicle cost(net) $3000 for 50K miles. About $1000 in repairs and then maint like oil changes and tires. Sales tax not included either.

Yep-When I decide to get rid of my Silverado I will have the same situation. I bought it when I lived in Southern California and it's 2WD. I have already talked to a few dealers here in Utah (where I have retired) and they said to look at about a $2,000.00 hit under Bluebook if I decide to trade it in here.

I figured if this is indeed the case I will go live with my Son for a couple of weeks, since he is still in So. Cal and sell it that way. Or, go down to Southern Utah where 4WD isn't a big of an issue and trade/buy there. Selling in So. Cal shouldn't be a problem since it's originally a So. Cal truck and I have all the documents.

If you have lots of time, you can always get the price you want...

Congrats on the sale. I assume mailing your plates to the DMV is the same thing as notifying them of a transfer of title? In my state it costs $10 to basically release yourself of liability once you sell a MV. Helps in the rare event that the buyer feels too lazy to get the vehicle tagged and then it ends up being used in the commission of a crime.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
If you have lots of time, you can always get the price you want...

Congrats on the sale. I assume mailing your plates to the DMV is the same thing as notifying them of a transfer of title? In my state it costs $10 to basically release yourself of liability once you sell a MV. Helps in the rare event that the buyer feels too lazy to get the vehicle tagged and then it ends up being used in the commission of a crime.

There is a form on DMV website to use to mail them back. For $4 in postage I saved a trip (and headache) of going to DMV and they are only open weekdays and I work full-time. The website says you can use the postmark date as the plate surrender date so I did.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I can see the need for A 4x4. I won't buy a 2wd truck as I use 4x4 often. I can't imagine a 2wd where you live.

I have always had another vehicle that was 4WD so the pickup being RWD was not a big deal. Except I had thoughts of getting stuck on boat ramp with RWD.

I won't miss the noise but will miss the simplicity of the engine and especially the exhaust.

2wd trucks are embarrassing, mine will get stuck in the grass if it's a tiny bit wet and you don't have a good amount of speed built up. I did it at a storage facility one time, the tires started spinning and the guy I was trying to get around probably thought I was just screwing around.

You just need weight in the bed, 400-500 pounds would do it. At least most '99 Ram 2500s have posi from the factory, that makes a huge difference. I've often thought of putting a lunchbox locker in the GMC, even though the 6.2 isn't exactly a powerhouse.

People who don't own one don't know, but the weight and the long wheelbase work hard against the truck in low traction situations. Especially in reverse.

4WD in one of these trucks isn't so much about big adventures on the high lonesome, as much as it is about not getting stuck in a stupid situation.

I recently pulled onto some grass without realizing there was a sand base underneath, and I thought I fragged my torque converter for a second because I was giving throttle and there was no motion. I looked in my mirror and saw my tires effortlessly burying themselves. I was able to back right out, but we're talking about sand under grass on a very shallow grade.

These trucks are not meant to be crawlers, and it shows. My JGC would run circles around either of my Rams in anything. When I hit the Everglades, it is not in my Rams.

My Cherokee is more front heavy than most so that may have a negative affect, but even with good Nokians and some weight in the back, I had a heck of a time trying to drive in the snow when I blew the front axle.

My f250 has a Detroit locker in the rear and a clutch type of posi it's front axle. Not much stops it

If I'm thinking right a Detroit is a kind of automatic ratcheting locker right? How does it work towing being in the rear axle? I know they function similar to the Aussie I have in the front of the cherokee and I have always been worried about having one the rear and towing with a lot of tongue weight.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
2wd trucks are embarrassing, mine will get stuck in the grass if it's a tiny bit wet and you don't have a good amount of speed built up. I did it at a storage facility one time, the tires started spinning and the guy I was trying to get around probably thought I was just screwing around.

I pulled over on a snow-dusted shoulder with my 2WD work truck (loaded with at least 900lbs of tools and sand bags), and could not pull back onto the road...

That seems like a fair price for a properly maintained relatively low mileage diesel truck.
A long running joke is that the only bad thing about the Cummins was that it only came in a Dodge.
For $4500.00, I should have bought it. From the UOAs you've posted in the past it's obvious that you took care of it. With what you've written in the past about observed fuel economy, the thing would have made a reasonable commuter as well as a good hauler.
I've not had a diesel since I sold our second 240D in 1999 or so. I miss the clatter on cold starts as well as the way that the 2.4 liter four would vibrate the whole car at cold idle. An old-school fully mechanical diesel is a different sort of beast and is fun to have.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
People who don't own one don't know, but the weight and the long wheelbase work hard against the truck in low traction situations. Especially in reverse.

4WD in one of these trucks isn't so much about big adventures on the high lonesome, as much as it is about not getting stuck in a stupid situation.

I recently pulled onto some grass without realizing there was a sand base underneath, and I thought I fragged my torque converter for a second because I was giving throttle and there was no motion. I looked in my mirror and saw my tires effortlessly burying themselves. I was able to back right out, but we're talking about sand under grass on a very shallow grade.

These trucks are not meant to be crawlers, and it shows. My JGC would run circles around either of my Rams in anything. When I hit the Everglades, it is not in my Rams.

You definitely have a point, My 2wd '97 Dodge Ram Cummins would get stuck on a wet PAVED hill, My 2wd Duramax isn't near as bad & I don't really understand why other than it is not as front heavy as the Dodge. But......I try not too put myself in a situation where I can get stuck.

My f250 has a Detroit locker in the rear and a clutch type of posi it's front axle. Not much stops it

In 4WD, this is very true. I had to haul out a boat/trailer that was parked (and had sunk into) a field on a rainy day, and I sucked that thing right out with barely any wheelspin.

I still prefer my JGC for offroad. It's just amazing at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back