Do You Shake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to ask whether or not you shake your oil bottles just before changing the oil. Yes or no, and why? Do you see things settled at the bottom? This isn't post isn't meant to disprove someone else's way of doing things. Just trying to get a feel of what people do nowadays.

absolutely! I have sometimes seen a minor amount of particles settled on the bottom. although not as much lately. does it really matter? probably not. old dog. old tricks.

I buy jugs between 1 gal and 2.5 gal. I'm not going to shake those things.

But I do blend my own 2-stroke oil. I'll shake the snot out of bottle after I blend
laugh.gif

Usually not, but I make sure that I let the oil drain out completely out of the jug when I change the oil. I usually turn the jug over with the cap on and let all of the residual oil drip down so that I get 99.99% of the oil out.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I buy jugs between 1 gal and 2.5 gal. I'm not going to shake those things

I've shaken the 2.5 delo jug. After a while it turns into a decent workout making me almost forget I was changing oil.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I buy jugs between 1 gal and 2.5 gal. I'm not going to shake those things

I've shaken the 2.5 delo jug. After a while it turns into a decent workout making me almost forget I was changing oil.

crackmeup2.gif
01.gif

Yep.
What verified my theory of separation was when I changed the tranny oil in my '71 Cougar several years ago. This car takes type "F" transmission oil, which possibly sits on the shelf for awhile because of it being a slow mover. This car allows you to drain the torque converter and I believe I had put in about 3-4 quarts of WM type "F" and then opened up a new case of Pennzoil type "F". The WM oil was in a dark blue bottle and was hard to see through. The Pennzoil was in the yellow bottle and you could see the bottom of the empty bottle if you held it up to the light. I noticed the Pennzoil had a bunch of deposits at the bottom of the bottle. After shining a light in the bottom of the empty WM bottles, they also had deposits. I put some oil in each bottle and shook each one up to get all the deposits out and make sure that all of it made it into the transmission.
After that episode, I always shake any and all engine oil jugs also. It makes me wonder how many deposits drop to the bottom of 55 gallon drums that sit in the warehouse for an extended time.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Yup. I'm not really convinced its important but it makes me feel better.

^^^
This. I don't always remember to. But it bothers me when I see the sediment in the bottom of a jug. I'd like to know if settling is allowed for in the amount of additive added to oil. Until I have that answer, I'll shake.

And if you were wondering, yes. We are a bunch of obsessive sickies. Every single one of us BITOG people.
20.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back