DI fuel injectors and fuel dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2015 DI Honda CRV has a fuel dilution of engine oil problem. My dealer has done every test they can think of and brought Honda national into the discussion. No defects have been identified: engine software is up to date, no codes are registered, injectors aren't leaking post shutdown and Honda shows no similar problems reported nationwide (tho the percentage of CRV owners that do UOAs is surely minuscule).

The one thing that Honda can't test for short of disassembling things is a fuel injector that, because of a manufacturing defect, is spraying an imperfect injector pattern. Could a poor spray pattern contribute to fuel dilution? The car has no driveability issues and fuel economy is good. I'm tempted to pay for injector replacement, but don't want to do so if the odds of success are close to 0.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

No this, no that, no nothing, but you say fuel dilution. What exactly leads to this analysis?

Originally Posted By: Danh
The one thing that Honda can't test for short of disassembling things is a fuel injector that, because of a manufacturing defect, is spraying an imperfect injector pattern. Could a poor spray pattern contribute to fuel dilution? The car has no driveability issues and fuel economy is good. I'm tempted to pay for injector replacement, but don't want to do so if the odds of success are close to 0.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Every time I've sent out fuel injectors for cleaning and testing they have tested the spray pattern. Do you include removing the injectors as "dissembling things"? Because yes, they would have to remove the injectors to test that.

Originally Posted By: user52165
No this, no that, no nothing, but you say fuel dilution. What exactly leads to this analysis?

UOAs from Polaris. >5% fuel dilution from samples taken immediately after a 400 mile highway trip. Same result for 3 samples taken at different times. Seems convincing.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Every time I've sent out fuel injectors for cleaning and testing they have tested the spray pattern. Do you include removing the injectors as "dissembling things"? Because yes, they would have to remove the injectors to test that.

That's the point. Honda isn't willing to remove and test the injectors absent some other indication (trouble code or driveability issue) that they may be the problem.

Last edited:

UOAs from Polaris. >5% fuel dilution from samples taken immediately after a 400 mile highway trip. Same result for 3 samples taken at different times. Seems convincing.

I guess good ole times when Japanese companies simply waited for Europeans to solve newborn issues are gone. Now they just copy technology and do not do any fixes.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Switch to 5w30, shorten the OCI to 5k max and keep on trucking. Honda is not going to look at or act on result from a third party oil analysis.

To the credit of my dealer and Honda, they did take the UOAs seriously but could not come up with a fault to correct. I suppose they could have replaced the injectors but I can see why that would be a stretch.

Moving to a 30 weight oil seems to be a reasonable plan. It'll at least provide protection for the viscosity consequences of fuel dilution. Interestingly, wear metals are pretty good despite the fuel dilution: last sample at 2400 miles into the OCI had 3ppm of iron, 2 of aluminum and nothing else. Maybe these things thrive on fuel dilution...

Switch to 5w30, shorten the OCI to 5k max and keep on trucking. Honda is not going to look at or act on result from a third party oil analysis.

changing to thicker oil is never a proper fix

Originally Posted By: double vanos
You might want to check the HPFP for leaking internally. They're under a lot of stress creating the necessary pressure..

Thanks. But as fuel pressure checked out okay, shouldn't that rule out the HPFP as a culprit?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I guess good ole times when Japanese companies simply waited for Europeans to solve newborn issues are gone. Now they just copy technology and do not do any fixes.

I guess they cannnot wait anymore with the upcoming regulations. Gotta meet those 2020 fuel economy standards.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Yeah, manufacturers know it all, and here we are discussing a brand new vehicle having 5% fuel dilution.

What is your suggestion then, since Honda claims everything is normal?

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Seems like it'd fix thin oil.

Which is what he's got.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Going to a 30wt may be cause for them to deny a warranty claim down the road if the engine does fail so I'd be very careful going down that road.

Since it seems the OP has a reasonably positive dialogue with Honda, it might be worth asking. Verbally first (in case they say no and you might want to do it anyway), then (if they say yes) in writing.

Exactly. With no performance issues, and no codes, Honda is not going to tear into an engine because a $25, third party UOA says there's fuel dilution.

Assuming the 4 percent fuel dilution report is correct:

I must ask what may be a dumb question or two.

Has anyone verified that the engine is reaching normal operating temperature?

What type gasoline is being used?

Is the PCV system operating correctly?

Yes I know the ECU should tell us if there are problems with temperature,and maybe even the PCV.

To get that much fuel dilution without any other symptoms is darn peculiar IMHO.

Maybe get an oil analysis from another source?

Good luck.

Rickey.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Exactly. With no performance issues, and no codes, Honda is not going to tear into an engine because a $25, third party UOA says there's fuel dilution.

Excuse me - it was closer to $30!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back