Advice to yourself if you could turn back time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO NOT buy the Volvo that later burned up while I was driving it . . .

If I could have studied computers in the early to mid-Seventies, I could have come out of school and gone to work for one of the many downtown companies that needed in-house computer programmers back then. Could have moved out of the house into a nice apartment, bought a good used car *, purchased a house, and maybe not made the same errors in wives that I did in this timeline.

And traveled and maybe relocated to a better climate, like Denver or the Pacific NW.

* That's a good question. What in, say, 1975-76, would have been a good bet on a used car? A Chevelle Malibu, maybe (a buddy of mine had one, and it was quick)? A 1972 Mercedes 280SE?

Mind your own business and stop trying to save the world on your time and dime.

Learn to say NO to people.

Stop helping people that are in deep brown due to their own decisions.

Don't trust people !!! The ones that you helped the most are the first ones that will stab you in the back...

Keep your mouth shut.

Stop being captain save-o-ho.

Trust your instincts.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Mind your own business and stop trying to save the world on your time and dime.

Learn to say NO to people.

Stop helping people that are in deep brown due to their own decisions.

Don't trust people !!! The ones that you helped the most are the first ones that will stab you in the back...

Keep your mouth shut.

Stop being captain save-o-ho.

Trust your instincts.

My my my. I love these.

My choice?

I would go back and give myself as many books, documentaries, and material on organized crime and the drug cartels, so I would have understood how legitimate business works from a very young age.

Plus whatever on staying single.

Should have gotten an MBA instead of an M Ed.

Should have bought more property and built on to the house when I was younger.

Should have taken the chance and bought a ton of Ford stock in 2008 when I was sitting in my Financial Advisors office and it was < than $2. a share.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What advice would you give yourself if you could go back in time to the day you finished high school ?

Basically a one on one talk about advice and mistakes to avoid in life...

Oh no, I can't do that, no matter how much I would want to.

Here's my dilemma:

I'm in a really good place in my life right now.
Life is great, my relationship with my wife is great, I don't have kids, I have a great job with a great company, I have a nice house, money in the bank, am am loving my life.

If I were to go back in time, and tell myself to avoid anything, I would no longer be where I'm at today, and I wouldn't be able to tell you if that new place would be better or worse than it is today. Part of me thinks that it wouldn't be as good.

And there are quite a few things I wish I could avoid.

Nearly getting killed and having my left hip broken when that lady t-boned me 4 blocks away from my house on Oct 1, 1998 would be #1 on my list.
I was physically broken, financially destroyed, emotionally scarred, and I had my gf at the time dump me within weeks.
But, I got out of that relationship, won a radio contest for $1,067, which allowed me to rent a u-haul and move back to the east cost, where I would up living with my oldest sister, buying a house with her in Queens, buying a new motorcycle, meeting all sorts of new friends via that motorcycle, and eventually putting me on a path that lead to a job that brought me back to Colorado, and ultimately to where I am today.

So no, I couldn't risk telling myself tidbits about how to make my life better, or people to avoid, or even just days to stay home longer, or get out of the house quicker, because it would mess everything up.

And yes, young me would have listened and taken advice from current me, too.
I would have given anything to know that everything was going to turn out okay, while I went through all of the issues I was experiencing at the time.

Just send me back then a picture of me today, with today's date, and the message "Everything's going to turn out okay in the long run, just endure it for a couple more years", and I would have probably broken down in tears, and gathered myself back up, and continued trucking along.

Any advice about finances, people to avoid, or even who to spend more time with, when I graduated HS in June 1992, would change everything that happened over the coming 6 years.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Excel
its a shame young woman are wasted on young guys...

I can think of so many exceptions to that just off the top of my head.
wink.gif

Had I known better in the late 60s-early 70s, I would have avoided a thousand mortal sins leaning into my Catholic faith - stayed in college and invested for the future.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MCompact
I would give beautiful, buxom, and bipolar redheads a very wide berth...

hehehe, they don't need to be redheads.....

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I would have not read this thread.

And what would happen if your younger self accidentally mistook that advice, and prevented you from ever reading this whole website?
An opportunity missed.

BC.

Thinking back on it, the really bad decisions preceded high school. I think that's more the norm than most people realize.

Plenty of mistakes and missed opportunities, or simply, life's disappointments. No one move after High school was catastrophic or not fixable. So that's the good news. Plenty opportunity for repair after High school. It's actually the stuff you do before graduation or even in middle school that kills you.

For the record, my mistake was to reject my parents offer send me to a good private school in the fourth grade, in order to stay with my pals in the public school which was mildly upper middle class, which masked the fact that it was bad. A lot of choices were already closed to me by high school graduation.

If I were to go to college or grad school, the brand and quality matters. Don't waste time on one that isn't "good enough", focus on your career by working more instead of a better degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back