Castrol edge 5w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess M1 5w-50 recently changed when 0w-40 did?

I notice it's now called Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-50 so maybe its GTL now too?

Mobil 1 15W-50 is still the same name and has .1 higher HTHS than Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-50.

Originally Posted By: Nissan101
Thank you all
Unfortunately its almost impossible to do an UOA in my country :-(

Do Blotter Spot Test on DIY instead, it's free and informative.

As most have said, in an ideal world 5w50 is equal or better under all circumstances than hte 20w50. But this world is not ideal. I bet if you look at the specs for reach, you will find that, while both are "50" weight at high temps, the 5w50 is not as heat stable as the 20w50. I suspect they also had to use or use more viscostiy extenders ("VIIs")to make the 5w50, which has several side effects.

If this is for light use and short change intervals it may not matter.

I also ask why such heavy oil. heavy isn't better, its just better under very high temperatures.

Quick update: I grabbed the 100 deg C CSt (viscosity) for edge 5w30 and 10w30. Both 30, should be the same right? No. 10.7 vs 11.3. QED.

But in the long run, who cares, both are fine so long as you dont race or leave them in tooooo long.

With very long intervals, the 20/50 likely better -- but it wont flow well in moderate to cold.

G

Last edited:
I suspect that this oil will shear to a forty just draining through the oilways into the sump.
That is a wide spread.
I have six quarts of this myself that will someday be used for a one-off run in the old BMW, or maybe the next one.

People talking about 5W50 shearing because of the wide spread,wouldn't 0W40 be just as bad if not worse,since it's a 0W base as opposed to a 5W base?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
People talking about 5W50 shearing because of the wide spread,wouldn't 0W40 be just as bad if not worse,since it's a 0W base as opposed to a 5W base?

Nope. 5W50 shears more it has more VII's 0W40 will shear into the 30 grade territory from a 40 grade. 5W50 will shear into 30 grade from 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back