10 year anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe I've been daily driving (summer only) this little gem for 10 years now. We've gone through 3 transmissions, and this is the third engine (third time's a charm), but I still never drive it without a big silly grin on my face. Reliable, quick, unique and just plain cool. This is "Old Rattle & Haul".

1_zpse8cummug.jpg

6_zpsgrfpchlo.jpg

5_zpswoeorqmd.jpg

3_zpsiil2yk4x.jpg

Those are cool. There is one here at a car lot, they want like $6k for it.

Why so many transmissions? When I had my 91 Jetta diesel, it had 255k on it with one engine rebuild and the transmission was in good shape according to the UOA I took on it.

I got rid of it for a more comfortable daily ride so I got a used Cruze diesel. Not to mention the place that rebuilt my 1.6 in the Jetta did a pour job and it was using a qt of oil in 400 miles.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
3 engines and 3 transmissions in 10 years, and reliable?

My thoughts exactly... What is my wife's civic that's 19 years old and still on it's original Tranny and motor?

Oh wait it's a VW!!!!!

Originally Posted By: JC1

My thoughts exactly... What is my wife's civic that's 19 years old and still on it's original Tranny and motor?

Oh wait it's a VW!!!!!

Point made....but the guy loves his nice looking little pickup. It's actually pretty neat.

1.6 NA diesel to 1.6 turbodiesel to modified 2.0 turbodiesel.; All were reliable, I was just on the prowl for more power.

The transmissions were all different ratios. Once again, reliable, but the search for the right ratios for my driving style
wink.gif

ROFL! There must be something left of the factory install which is.

Originally Posted By: DC_Stewart

1.6 NA diesel to 1.6 turbodiesel to modified 2.0 turbodiesel.; All were reliable, I was just on the prowl for more power.

The transmissions were all different ratios. Once again, reliable, but the search for the right ratios for my driving style
wink.gif

the 1.6 NA surely lacked power, no doubt about that.

The car looks to be in excellent shape, a credit to it's owner!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Bashing VW seems to never go out of fashion.

Yeah, that seems to be the case, but my mom taught me never to argue with idiots.

Originally Posted By: DC_Stewart
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I'm partial to the Dodge Rampage myself....

The trouble with them is they're just too much Dodge (AKA: K-car)

Actually they're L-body. Omni/Horizon. I wish I could find one that I could afford, even thought my minivans are far more practicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back