Getting out of a lease

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother hates her car. She has a leased Corolla she can barely drive safely (mostly, the seat gives her horrible back pain after about 15-20 minutes) and despises it. So...short of either paying the entire lease off and turning it in or parking it in the south Bronx for a few days, is there any way for her to get out of it?

Lease a different car like a Camry through Toyota Financial. Otherwise there won't be any break. Call Toyota Financial and tell them the issue. Then work with the dealer. If TF is being communicated with then the dealer might not be as likely to try any funny business. My friend pays $169/mo and $800 due at signing for a Camry. His wife stopped leasing Hondas and finally switched over to a Rav4 lease. He's a repeat customer so they give him a good deal.

Of course you can buy it, sell it, or trade it in.
A good dealer would try to resolve the issue as well.
Aftermarket seats or covers etc.
if its a 2016 and new- I have found you need 5-10K miles for seats to break in- really.
I had many cars that killed my bad back and later to find out seats need broken in. Good Luck.
A higher Trim model may have better seats you can switch out as well. They say on a new C Max
the SEL seats are superior to the SE versions.

I'm not sure as to the wisdom of modifying a leased car. I would see if something could be worked out with the dealer first and foremost.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'm not sure as to the wisdom of modifying a leased car. I would see if something could be worked out with the dealer first and foremost.

This

Last edited:
Start by going to dealer and telling them the seat is defective. Put the ball in their court. Maybe it really is.

I am sure one trim level of the Camry will have nice seats. Maybe they will let you end the lease early and lease a Camry.

They do not want to loose a Toyota customer.

How many months does she have remaining in the lease?

You can always try to negotiate for another new or used car from a dealer, contingent on them clearing you of your lease. I did that with a 2012 Subaru Legacy I leased. I liked the car, but was going to be way over on miles and would have needed to replace tires, brakes, etc. very soon. I turned it in on month 29 of a 36mo lease and had 38K miles on it, with used snow tires. I had basically done some homework and picked out a new car on the lot. I stopped in and said I'll buy that vehicle today if we can work out a deal on it and you take in my lease free/clear. They did.

Originally Posted By: JTK
How many months does she have remaining in the lease?

You can always try to negotiate for another new or used car from a dealer, contingent on them clearing you of your lease. I did that with a 2012 Subaru Legacy I leased. I liked the car, but was going to be way over on miles and would have needed to replace tires, brakes, etc. very soon. I turned it in on month 29 of a 36mo lease and had 38K miles on it, with used snow tires. I had basically done some homework and picked out a new car on the lot. I stopped in and said I'll buy that vehicle today if we can work out a deal on it and you take in my lease free/clear. They did.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This-see if the dealer can payoff the lease(may need a little cash from you) to swap for a Camry.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
just add or remove foam as needed. Leaving the original seat cover.nobody would know

What's the root of her back pain? Not enough lumbar support, or what?

Honestly I have a hard time believing that a different seat would make all that much difference. Is that really the reason she wants to get rid of the car, or does she just not like the car and that is the excuse she's using?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Start by going to dealer and telling them the seat is defective. Put the ball in their court. Maybe it really is.

Already has. "There's nothing wrong with it, they're all like that."

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
What's the root of her back pain? Not enough lumbar support, or what?

Spot on. The seat has ZERO lumbar support...in fact, it is concave where the lumbar support should be. (It feels like Toyota took the high-end seat and removed the lumbar support.) AN hour drive means she can barely stand when she gets out. I agree with her: the back support is nonexistent.

Quote:
Honestly I have a hard time believing that a different seat would make all that much difference. Is that really the reason she wants to get rid of the car, or does she just not like the car and that is the excuse she's using?

She hates the car, but the terrible seat means it is and will remain basically driveway art. (It has ~1000 miles in six months.) There is also the problem that she is too close to the airbag...she cannot move the seat back as far as she should, because she can't reach the pedals if she does.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Donald

Already has. "There's nothing wrong with it, they're all like that."

THAT IS an accurate statement
if all the Corolla seats sitting in the lot are the same.

This really sounds more like a medical issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back