New Truck, oil suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 1990 Chevy C1500 with the 5.7 tbi and 4 speed automatic transmission. It has 180k miles and was used as a work truck for a glass company (it had the racks on the sides for the large glass panes) for a long time. It leaked a little oil to begin with, but that seems to have gone away since I changed the oil to Pennzoil High Mileage 5w-30 and ACdelco filter. I have a few questions and would like some input:

1. What oil do you recommend, I'll probably stick with some kind of HM oil due to the oil drips, but does the brand matter a whole lot with the 5.7?
2. It needed a new thermostat, and front rotors and pads. is there anything else you can think of that should be done as preventative maintenance?

Thank you for the help!

Do you have any maintenance records?

As a 1990 work truck in Wyoming, basically every single thing on it (from bushings to brake/fuel lines) are due for maintenance. Then again, how much money/time do you want to drop into it...

Frankly, what oil you run would be the least of my concerns. Many a 350 outlived their truck with nothing more than SAE 30 in the sump.

Sticking with that oil is a fine choice in that truck.

Drain/fill the transmission fluid and/or drop the pan and change the filter too.

Drain/fill the rear end.

2 wheel drive?

That's what I'd do anyway

I'd probably continue with the PHM or MaxLife in 5w30, I'd probably personally run a Napa Gold or Car Quest red/blue for a filter but that's just a personal preference in filter, nothing wrong with the AC.

I'd also second the above recommendations to service the transmission and rear axle.

Fuel filter would be a good investment too.

If you didn't change the coolant with the thermostat I'd do that.

Tune up stuff is cheap for cap, rotor, wires, plugs. I'd probably buy all AC Delco from rock auto. Check for a discount code to save 5% posted here in the rebate and sale section. Same with the serp belt.

Most of all enjoy your new truck.

Is this truck 4 wheel drive? If so, replace the fluid in the transfer case. Know what kind of fluid it takes, and always remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug.

5 or 10 w30 is a good weight motor oil. Don't forget the change the power steering and brake fluid. Also, flush the cooling system. U may also need new suspension parts, IE: ball joints, control arms, inner / outer tie rods, etc

+1 on continuing with Pennzoil High Mileage

Change transmission fluid, coolant, rear differential fluid, front differential fluid & transfer case if it's 4x4, brake fluid.

My 02 F150 Fx4, the other 04 WJ both use Pennzoil High Mileage and I will be switching back my 02 jeep to Pennzoil HM again.

It's a good oil. I have some under valve cover pics on this forum here somewhere, probably about a month ago. Not the best quality but with running PHM for 50000 miles since I got it, the engine was clean. At least the top end was.

Thank you for all the advice, I put the transmission and differential fluid change next on the list. I tested the coolant and it is good, the truck is a 2wd so I don't have to worry about the transfer case or front diff.

Thanks again guys!

Originally Posted By: Chevy123
Thank you for all the advice, I put the transmission and differential fluid change next on the list. I tested the coolant and it is good, the truck is a 2wd so I don't have to worry about the transfer case or front diff.

Thanks again guys!

Just a quick thought on coolant. Just because it's suitable for freeze protection doesn't always mean it's suitable for continued use. I use test strips to verify the condition of my coolant. I got a huge box of them from work years ago that I'm still using. I'm sure they're available for purchase somewhere. Enjoy your new truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back