Shop Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to a friend of mine that has been an auto mechanic since 1981 and he has
worked for many shops and now runs his own. We were talking about my new car and why I don't want my dealer
doing basic maintenance on it.

He said that he would have to quit many places and ended up working for a dealership in the end
that did things right. One of his stories was about a tire chain that had a special oil change regimen.
Of course the young kids did the oil changes and filters were optional unless the customer was watching.

He said they bought the cheapest bulk oil they could get and sold it as a premium brand and their special trick was for every 20 quarts new oil they would mix in 5 quarts of used customer oil. That's what you got for your oil change.
It got worse and he quit in 2 weeks........ Nice!

I hate to say it, but it's stories like these that ruin it for people who want to trust their car to a mechanic or shop. I have yet to find an honest one that's nearby. I'm glad that you and your friend are honest though. Hard to find good people these days.

I'd say 90% of shops are dishonest scum, unless it's patently obvious you're not a mechanical idiot, and they figure this out before trying to sell you "blinker fluid".
wink.gif
(Hey - sometimes I'm just too lazy / short of time.)

My wife went to go buy a battery from the local Canadian Tire, and being mechanically-retarded (and it's pretty obvious), the salesman made up some baloney that only the top-of-the-line battery came with a warranty. So we now have a $100 battery in a $500 lawnmower.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I'd say 90% of shops are dishonest scum, unless it's patently obvious you're not a mechanical idiot, and they figure this out before trying to sell you "blinker fluid".
wink.gif
(Hey - sometimes I'm just too lazy / short of time.)

My wife went to go buy a battery from the local Canadian Tire, and being mechanically-retarded (and it's pretty obvious), the salesman made up some baloney that only the top-of-the-line battery came with a warranty. So we now have a $100 battery in a $500 lawnmower.
mad.gif

Yeah I got one of those too. Wives that is. OTOH, she's been worth it despite this flaw.
grin2.gif

I am not sure 90% are dishonest, but some are. Probably less so for dealers. Indy shops are best but you have to check them out, talk to them, get a feeling. If they suggest the same repair to your wife as they do to you, then they are probably honest, or at least it's a good sign.

My wife went to go buy a battery from the local Canadian Tire, and being mechanically-retarded ......... we now have a $100 battery in a $500 lawnmower.
mad.gif

And maybe it cost you $50 extra to remember why you should take care of this kind of stuff and not her? Harsh words.

Up-selling is so much a part of retail it's to be expected, especially at large chains. If an employee only tries to sell the cheapest/lowest quality product he's not doing his job properly. Fraud is something different. How can people not find a mechanic to trust, do they not talk to friends, neighbors, co-workers?

Quote:
How can people not find a mechanic to trust, do they not talk to friends, neighbors, co-workers?

That's easy. Some of the worst doctors I have ever seen have a big following and tons of patients boasting on how great they are..........

Which is why I like DT for tires. They don't try to upsell a bunch of different services. All they do is tires.

My dad and I went to a Goodyear tire place for new tires and an oil change. I was in the bay watching. I caught him not changing the oil filter. Oil changes at the Ford Quick Lane, Toyota and Honda dealers were always fine. No real funny business there. When I brought the Matrix to the Quick Lane the advisor came out a short time later and said they didn't have the correct oil filter in stock for it, an 822 and would have to go to the auto parts store and get one. He later said the tech found one that fit an 836 which is a bigger filter. At least they were being honest and upfront about it. The first time I went there one of the first things they mentioned was having a filter for it.

You got a PM
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Which is why I like DT for tires. They don't try to upsell a bunch of different services. All they do is tires.

My dad and I went to a Goodyear tire place for new tires and an oil change. I was in the bay watching. I caught him not changing the oil filter. Oil changes at the Ford Quick Lane, Toyota and Honda dealers were always fine. No real funny business there.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

My wife went to go buy a battery from the local Canadian Tire, and being mechanically-retarded ......... we now have a $100 battery in a $500 lawnmower.
mad.gif

And maybe it cost you $50 extra to remember why you should take care of this kind of stuff and not her? Harsh words.

Up-selling is so much a part of retail it's to be expected, especially at large chains. If an employee only tries to sell the cheapest/lowest quality product he's not doing his job properly. Fraud is something different. How can people not find a mechanic to trust, do they not talk to friends, neighbors, co-workers?

I sent her there with a specific battery to purchase. He sold her one through outright fear and manipulation tactics, not upselling. It's called honesty. Glad to see this is beneath you.

Believe it or not there are some honest shops out there.. Those are the shops that some people say are rip offs because they use good parts and actually charge for them..
Shops are like Plumbers ,Electricians ,Doctors, A/C repair guys, accountants etc. There are some honest people still around maybe not as many as there used to be but we are still out there.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

mad.gif

I sent her there with a specific battery to purchase. He sold her one through outright fear and manipulation tactics, not upselling. It's called honesty. Glad to see this is beneath you.

Did he hold a gun to her head? She could have called you, but apparently didn't.

I sent her there...

Rather than sending your wife to do your errands, perhaps you should consider just taking care of it yourself. Or send her to a company that is a bit more honest than the one to which you sent her.

In 25 years driving I have used quick lubes, Walmart, gas stations, dealers, and independents.

I never was ripped off because they requested permission before performing a suggested repair. Just a polite but firm no thank you always worked. All vehicles went 200k without serious problems so they did not screw up.

If you ever take time to read the different complaints on YELP, and other sites that review goods/services (and read between the lines) some complaints are groundless.

IMHO there are many HONEST SHOPS. In my experience I find new car dealers (contrary to the opinions on here) to be more honest than some independents. They have a vested interest in selling you a new/used car at sometime in the future.

Of course, many cars here on BITOG have "aged out" of where a dealer could do a satisfactory job of servicing/repairing them.

Last edited:

mad.gif

My wife is not "mechanically inclined" nor do I expect her to be. I have too much love and respect for her to ever call or think of her as mechanically-retarded. Much less on a public forum. I guess you and I are from a different generation or was brought up differently. If it's the latter, kudos to your parents.

Quote:
for every 20 quarts new oil they would mix in 5 quarts of used customer oil
I hold automotive repair industry in contempt but I still have problem on believing this part! To do this on an on-going basis they have to setup a system and it has huge risk of being dropped a dime.

I recently found a good mechanic on the recommendation of a trusted friend. I had a head gasket on the way out that only showed itself under certain conditions. At first the guy couldn't duplicate it, but he insisted on continuing to try and running as many diagnostic tests as possible. He finally duplicated it and located the leak. Repaired as good as new. It was there almost two weeks as it is my winter beater car and I wasn't in a hurry. Total charge of 750 dollars. He had planned to change out the timing belt and tensioner and water pump, but when he got in there he found they were OEM and almost new and saw no point in replacing them, saving me several hundred dollars on parts that would be a few thousand miles newer than what was on it. This was on a car I had just purchased.

It's a family shop. Two ASE certified brothers do all the work, and their wives do the office work. So you know exactly who is working on your car, not new people coming and going constantly. An honest shop is an invaluable find.

I have found most dealers do good work, but the up sells and such are a real pain. Most of that can be avoided by reading your owners manual and following what the manufacturer recommends and a polite but assertive "no thanks".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back