Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 Acura TSX K24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my UOA, Thanks to Genna for the free Pennzoil Ultra UOA kit.

I had Castrol 0W30 Belgian for 7,500 miles on this car before switching to PU 5W-30 for 9,500 run , seems like the engine revs more freely after the switch. Can you guys tell me what is the better oil for my car? This is my first ever UOA done on any of my cars and not really sure at this point what the numbers mean but I have a rough idea. Should I switch to PU or stick with BC 0w-30?

Thanks guys.

Hi Mate,

Both oils look good and the difference is down at the random noise level, you could run the same oil a second time and get a similar variation as between the two oils. However both are obviously working for you. They are quite different oils even though both are synthetic 30 grades. You can see this reflected in their 100 C Viscosity.

The Castrol 0W-30 is a Euro A3/B4 long life oil, high TBN and high HTHS. At the high viscosity end of the 30 grade.

The Pennzoil is a Resource Conserving GF-5 oil. At the low viscosity end of the 30 grade.

Both are good, which is more suitable depends on your application. For harder applications like towing and tracking, I would go the Castrol. For fuel economy and commuting I would go the Pennzoil.

If you are not pushing your car hard, and you like how the Pennzoil revs a bit more freely with this oil, then I would stick with the Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30. That 6 ppm of Iron in 9,500 miles is a good result.

I would take the 2nd batch of pup and see how it goes.Its two different oils from two different companies made for two different reasons. I agree with SR5 and include that Pennzoil giving you oil to try is far more impressive and you should be willing to give back on the basis you got a good uoa from them and its good business to act on a company taking a chance on us. I too received the Pennzoil Analysis Kit with 0w20 and that alone shows good faith in them and I intend to respond accordingly. Uoa looks great
01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Marco620
I would take the 2nd batch of pup and see how it goes.Its two different oils from two different companies made for two different reasons. I agree with SR5 and include that Pennzoil giving you oil to try is far more impressive and you should be willing to give back on the basis you got a good uoa from them and its good business to act on a company taking a chance on us. I too received the Pennzoil Analysis Kit with 0w20 and that alone shows good faith in them and I intend to respond accordingly. Uoa looks great
01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

+1, yeppers and good point to return the favor.
thumbsup2.gif

Thank you guys, I have learned a lot reading on BITOG. I am very grateful of getting the free oil from Pennzoil. In fact, I bought 5 - 5qt jugs of PUP from Wally world, they were constantly going in and out of stocks , it was hard to track, but I believe they are back in stock now, plus there is a rebate!

On a different topic, I had PPP 5w20 on the wife's MDX with the J37 (known oil consumption problems) that calls for 5w20. First OCI was PPP 5w20, it had 35k miles when we got it, it did some cleaning as I can see from the dipstick the very slight tint of varnish from conventional was gone. 2nd OCI on the MDX, I put PUP 5W30 , I burned half a quart of the PPP 5w20 for about 5,000 mile run on the J37. Wanted to go thicker , do you guys think PUP 5w30 would be OK instead of the 5w20? I know using this oil will void my warranty but I don't really care as long as the 5w30 will not burn as much as the 5w20.

With the MDX I'd still run the 5w20 esp while it's under warranty. You don't want to be on the hook for an expensive engine repair bill with that suv. A guy on here with a 2012 TL just had to have an engine block replace due to oil consumption. They will look for any excuse to put the blame on you. Here's the THREAD on that.

With the TSX and the Accord F23 in your signature be sure to replace the pcv valve with an oem unit. Usually the internal spring breaks on those around 60k miles. Again go with the oem version.

Bernardi Honda parts online offers very good pricing or see if your dealer will price match.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
With the MDX I'd still run the 5w20 esp while it's under warranty. You don't want to be on the hook for an expensive engine repair bill with that suv. A guy on here with a 2012 TL just had to have an engine block replace due to oil consumption. They will look for any excuse to put the blame on you. Here's the THREAD on that.

With the TSX and the Accord F23 in your signature be sure to replace the pcv valve with an oem unit. Usually the internal spring breaks on those around 60k miles. Again go with the oem version.

Bernardi Honda parts online offers very good pricing or see if your dealer will price match.

Thank you for the tip and info. I have been messaging with "majorcavalry" , his block was changed due to excessive oil consumption. He actually recommended 0W40 for the J37 since he suspects the 5w-20 is not sufficient enough since upon his research, all other J37 from Honda around the world, recommends 0W30 or 0W40. Even in Switzerland where it gets really cold. This can mean nothing, and it can also just mean that the J37 with the silicon/aluminum piston sleeve is the reason behind this. Some J37 have no oil consumption, some have excessive oil consumption, I am just concerned since we just bought this car and it was not cheap.

For the F23 Accord and the K24 on the TSX, both engines I think can run forever, my TSX , I rev that thing to the redline almost everyday on my commute, I love the TSX, it is such a fun car to drive. To this day, it has 130k miles and it drives like 10yrs ago when it was brand new. Religious up keep of maintenance and the use of OEM parts are the secret to longevity of Honda built cars in my opinion. This is the main reason why we went for the MDX.

There is a TSX out there that has 500,000 miles. Here is the link..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdNjT_JKK7s

Originally Posted By: SR5
The Castrol 0W-30 is a Euro A3/B4 long life oil, high TBN and high HTHS. At the high viscosity end of the 30 grade.
The Pennzoil is a Resource Conserving GF-5 oil. At the low viscosity end of the 30 grade.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

I would prefer Castrol 0W30 and push OCI further to 10-15K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back