Tired of tires that are too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 F-150 work truck I got in a trade. Instread of the stock 235-70-16's, the previous owner is running 265-75-16's. Thats too big especially for a single cab with just a 4.2L V6 under the hood. Not only does the trucks performance lag, but the handeling is poor too. At least it does have a manual trans, that helps some.

FWIW, I think stock sizes are better for pickups. Just wanted to share my opinion for those who itch to "go big" with their tires. Think it out before you do.

I've been running the stock 255's on my truck, and at times, looking at shoulder wear, I think it could have used 265 or 275's. 255 is good for snow and mpg, but toss this thing into a corner* and it seems not so great.

[Yeah I know, truck and all. The more I drive it though the more I drive it like it's a car.]

Obviously you are going to have performance issues when you change your final drive ratio. Even if you re-gear to compensate for the tires, you're going to have handling issues. The OEMs design vehicles as a system. Suspension mods are for offroad use.

The stock 235/70/16 size in the F150 is a bit on the puny side if you intend to haul or tow. It makes for great highway mileage and easy steering but that's about it.

I believe the Sport models had 255/70/16 which looks a bit more proportional and is less bouncy.

But yeah the trend of putting swampers on a truck or Jeep that never leaves the pavement is getting ridiculous.

I put 275/60R20 Hankook DynaPro ATM on my F-150 in the signature versus the stock 275/55R20. The 275/60 is an inch taller than stock, making it 33 inches. My truck still handles identical to how it did on the 275/55. My speedometer is only off about 1-2 MPH at high speeds. My truck is 0.25 seconds slower for 0-60 (yes, I timed it) & I only lost about 0.5 MPG.

Meanwhile my truck looks way better with the bigger tires. I can't say I miss any "performance" or handling lost with the bigger tires.

If I was going with a lot larger tires, I'd most certainly re-gear & get a performance tune but this is perfectly fine on a stock truck.

heavy 4k pound jeep wj with an inline 6 and automatic trans with bigger tires and I absolutely do not care.

I had a jeep when I was a kid that I got used and the PO had huge mud terrain tires on it. Wouldn't go anywhere. In the snow it just floated around like it was on skis. And it was even worse in mud. Absolutely useless. I put on regular high profile snow tires and it was unstoppable. High and narrow is the way to go for any surface except possibly sand. And even in sand I'm not sure high and narrow isn't better.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
The stock 235/70/16 size in the F150 is a bit on the puny side if you intend to haul or tow. It makes for great highway mileage and easy steering but that's about it.

Thats what I need. I drive 40 miles and back each day on the interstate. The big tires effectivly cause overgearing, which makes it hard to pass someone. My front end is good and tight, but the steering is really numb and sloppy due to the tires. I wish they would wear out soon, LOL.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Think it out before you do.

It's one reason why diesel trucks are so popular; throw a big lift and/or tires on, and it'll still go down the road just fine with all the low-end power available. Take a gas truck though (with the vast majority already set-up to turn minimal RPM's at speed), and with the larger rolling stock, it'll be completely out of the power band. No bueno without an appropriate re-gear.
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I absolutely do not care.

You should.
OaQryVH.png

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1512-what-concessions-are-made-when-adding-big-tires/

"The Volant intake, Rugged Ridge exhaust, and Diablosport Trinity tuner, working with the new Yukon 4.88 gears, brought the average 0-60 mph time down to 20.0 seconds!"
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine...g-larger-tires/

I always understood something like a jeep was light already and big wide tires make it float around in mud and snow. Great for rock climbing though. If you have a big SUV or truck that weighs much more then the big tires perform much better. That said I once had an F250 regular cab 4x4 with narrow street tires on it and they were great in snow. Put the larger mud terrain tires on same vehicle and snow performance decreased significantly especially in 2wd. Light rear end tend to float around too much. Put some weight in back end and it completely changed the snow handling though.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
If you have a big SUV or truck that weighs much more then the big tires perform much better.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html
"The Turtle Expedition who has literally traveled around the world used a 255/85 R16 (33.3 x 10) for many thousands of miles on their full size Ford. Land Rover uses narrow 7.0 R16 XCL tires in most of their Camel Trophy events. The Rain Forest Challenge and The Trophy challenge have all been won by the aggressive Simex Trekker tire (35x11.00). Tom Sheppard often uses the 7-7.5 R16 Michelin XZL and XCL for many of his expeditions. All very narrow tires in relationship to their height…"

20" stock on a F 150? Heh heh Charlie's '46 Ford off road dump truck had 6.50 20's on the front and 7.50 duals on back. That was a 5 tonner. Big wheels are a fad. In an era when MPG and emissions are a big deal. Why add weight and drag ? Like me clothes pinning 20 cards to the back of my bike. Lotta noise but mucho drag. I learned a lesson about function over form early.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
On my 96 Dodge 1500 I went from stock 245 16 tires on 7 inch wheels (stock) to 265 70 x 16 tires on 10 inch wheels Traction & handling much improved. Tires are same diameter.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Think it out before you do.

It's one reason why diesel trucks are so popular; throw a big lift and/or tires on, and it'll still go down the road just fine with all the low-end power available. Take a gas truck though (with the vast majority already set-up to turn minimal RPM's at speed), and with the larger rolling stock, it'll be completely out of the power band. No bueno without an appropriate re-gear.
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I absolutely do not care.

You should.
OaQryVH.png

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1512-what-concessions-are-made-when-adding-big-tires/

"The Volant intake, Rugged Ridge exhaust, and Diablosport Trinity tuner, working with the new Yukon 4.88 gears, brought the average 0-60 mph time down to 20.0 seconds!"
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine...g-larger-tires/

There is a YAWNING CHASM between going from 31" to 35" tires and going up one or even two sizes! I went from 215/70 to 235/75 on my Cherokee with no ill effects. (If anything it helped kill some highway RPMs.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
There is a YAWNING CHASM between going from 31" to 35" tires and going up one or even two sizes! I went from 215/70 to 235/75 on my Cherokee with no ill effects. (If anything it helped kill some highway RPMs.)

My response wasn't to you, was it? Gotta make it about yourself...

I realize doing any research whatsoever before replying isn't your style, but...

The vehicle in the article is a 2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon; easy to find the stock ratios (transmission/axle) on these. From there, you can figure out RPM/overall gearing with the known tire sizes.
JeepWJ19 has a 2002 WJ 4 liter. Again, easy to find stock ratios on these, and as well, what tire size he went to with that lift he's running.

Now, do the math, and tell us what you find out.

Jeez, ease up. The folks are trying to find out what works and what doesn't ... Some will toss in anecdotal comments and we'll breeze right through them. Others will throw numbers at it as we may read it a bit more carefully. Why the nasty tone ...

In the end, it's all about application and use. There are lots of pickups out there with what are basically passenger car tires. 2-ply sidewall, very flexy and soft. Nice ride, but no durability or load carrying capability and poor handling (think Firestone and roll-over Exploders ...). If the need is to haul, go to a LT tire first. Up the load rating, not the overall rolling diameter.

If the vehicle has power to spare, upping the diameter by 1/2 inch or so may make it more enjoyable on the road, especially if you can reset your apparent final using the ECU programing. That way your engine will be happier and your speedo will be on.

Going for ground clearance and approach/departure angles is a thing for off-roaders. No harm, if done right. Also depends on if you have a two-speed transfer case... A lot of off roaders will take the highway hit because they can Lo-Range it off road and they'll have enough torque to roll the bigger rubber.

Yeah, tall narrow is best in most situations but sand. Sand is all about foot print area and tread/terrain conformance. The finer the sand, the bigger overall (both height and width) the tire needs to be. I have 265 70's on my big bronco, and even at 12 psi, they were marginal in the Oregon Dunes in some back country slip-faces with fine sand.

It's a bummer getting down into a bowl and finding out you don't have enough tire to climb back out ... But this is entirely different than highway performance.

The OP might be right, but I have never been happy with OEM tires on most trucks. I might not go much taller, but Ill usually go a bit wider and reach for more sidewall durability, even if the ride suffers a bit ...

Last edited:
The LT's can have pretty big "ears" too - when I stepped up from P265 to LT285 - had to come up 3" inches - it is like a double size upgrade with the broad shoulders - Already had 4.10 + 2 speed case and 5.3L in small truck ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back