What is the advantage of foaming engine degreaser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used the liquid engine degreaser aerosols but I was wondering why foaming degreasers exist. What is its advantage over the ordinary regular stuff that stays liquid after you spray it?

From what I was told it is supposed to be easier to see, so that insures better coverage. The other reason is it is supposed to lift dirt and junk off the surface, and suspend it. Having said that I found the liquid worked better.

Foam works better on a cold engine than the regular stuff, but the regular stuff always works better on a warm engine than the foam ever will. For really heavy grease and crud, get the gel, let it soak and use it on a warm engine

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Foam works better on a cold engine than the regular stuff, but the regular stuff always works better on a warm engine than the foam ever will. For really heavy grease and crud, get the gel, let it soak and use it on a warm engine

That's interesting. I never found that to be the case, but it has been a long time since I had to clean an engine with it. I found it was always better to clean an engine that was warm to the touch, not hot.

"Lather, Rinse, Repeat" just sounds better than "squirt and hose"?

Never used the stuff. I had at least one mechanic swear by just using the car wash. It was a modern car, so pretty good sealed connections; he said one cycle with soap, one cycle on hot water, and call it done. Don't go to town, as one could force water where it shouldn't go--but with a bit of care, it'd be fine. I've done it a few times, but I've been kinda leery about doing it much--but reality is, this is what any dealership is going to do before they flip a car. It's fast and easy.

Only problem is, finding a coin op where this is allowed. Keeps all the grease out of my driveway.

The cheapest and most effective cleaner that I've found is normal degreaser followed up with a power washer. Reports of power washer damage are greatly exaggerated.

The engine brite foaming gel works wonders on anything greasy. I use it to clean up old mowers that I refurbish. Cuts through harder than even Purple Power or Simple Green.

Originally Posted By: supton
"Lather, Rinse, Repeat" just sounds better than "squirt and hose"?

Never used the stuff. I had at least one mechanic swear by just using the car wash. It was a modern car, so pretty good sealed connections; he said one cycle with soap, one cycle on hot water, and call it done. Don't go to town, as one could force water where it shouldn't go--but with a bit of care, it'd be fine. I've done it a few times, but I've been kinda leery about doing it much--but reality is, this is what any dealership is going to do before they flip a car. It's fast and easy.

Only problem is, finding a coin op where this is allowed. Keeps all the grease out of my driveway.

When cleaning an engine compartment, I always remind myself that each and everyone of those electrical connectors was made by the lowest bidder. Clean accordingly.
smile.gif

I just cleaned the engine bays for the first time on the Matrix and the Camry. I could see where a foam would be better for cleaning the underside of the hood. I used the Gunk Heavy Duty Citrus Degreaser which did a pretty good job. I was wondering if the foam would be better. I used plastic bags to cover the alt and air intake. When I started the Camry I heard a slight squeak, prob a belt. Drove it on a nice loop around the neighborhood. Did the same on the Matrix and no noise or anything. Sure is nice to get rid of all that dirt.

I've only cleaned the engine in my car once. To me the risk just seems greater than the reward.

I know there are claims that cleaning the engine will help it run cooler, but I don't really believe this to be the case. Aside from being more aesthetically pleasing, I really don't see the benefit. Its possible in the process of cleaning the engine some of the chemical degreaser may be introduced into the oil, electrical parts may be damaged, and the harsh chemicals can deteriorate gaskets and other non metal parts. Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

The mechanic I went to once and who was adamant about power washing it, didn't like dealing with dirty engines. [No idea how he'd take to oil undercoating!] Also, it does make finding "sudden" oil leaks easier. Anyhow, everything under the hood should be "sealed". When you drive in the rain, it gets wet under there. Presumably any sort of cleaner has to be plastic/rubber safe, at least mild ones.

Originally Posted By: Amirkhat
I've only cleaned the engine in my car once. To me the risk just seems greater than the reward.

I know there are claims that cleaning the engine will help it run cooler, but I don't really believe this to be the case. Aside from being more aesthetically pleasing, I really don't see the benefit. Its possible in the process of cleaning the engine some of the chemical degreaser may be introduced into the oil, electrical parts may be damaged, and the harsh chemicals can deteriorate gaskets and other non metal parts. Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

Part of my annual maintenance includes a Gunk rinse of the engine, trans and suspension. No pressure washing, just a rinse with the hose after the Gunk has soaked for about 5 minutes. Then I use compressed air to completely dry everything. My 01 Tacoma has never had a problem with the electrical connectors or anything else as a result of a good cleaning. A clean engine makes periodic maintenance so much easier and as a retired mechanic I'm here to tell you that you'll get a better job done if everything is clean before taking your car in to be worked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back