"Perfect" drive to work…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you had what you’d consider a “perfect” drive to work?

Tonight I did… I drove my 51 mile commute to work (at 2AM), hit all green traffic lights (8), cruise control @ 70 mph on the interstate, very few cars on the road, barely had to touch the brakes. My wheels didn’t stop turning from the time I backed out of my driveway up until I backed into the parking spot at work. It was an enjoyable drive in to work.

I guess when you do a long drive on the interstate you can go hundreds of miles without stopping but I'm referring to a routine daily commute that includes surface streets.

I didn't have your luck tonight. I hit every single light on the way to a delivery plus a train crossing. Its a 30km commute. Usually its 25 minutes, this time 35.

My commute to work is 8.7 miles. Usually takes me 10-15 minutes depending on how many lights I hit. My commute home is 9.9 miles since the freeway exit for my house is really bad in the afternoon, I cut through UCSB.

I don't commute anymore but I've had some awesome rides working on a 2nd shift schedule. One of my favorite rides to work was the day a Lotus Elise, that I tried many times to stay ahead of when we would hit the same stretch of highway before a long hard turn, wiped out chasing me through that nasty turn (which I had been plowing through almost every day for a few years). What made it so great? I was driving a 4 door Cavalier with GoodYear Eagle GTs. LOL So many times I would end up having that Lotus cut infront of me before the turn and I would have to brake while riding him through it. I'm sure he was fine, his car probably got some scratches when he went through (sideways) all the plastic markers they lined the inside of the turn with. Never saw that car again though.

On Long Island, the words perfect and drive usually don't go together. At 0200 the roads are usually traffic free, the biggest fear is drunken drivers at that hour.

Got me beat. I used to do my 50 mile commute in my Jetta; 2 miles to an intersection, then I'd be in high gear. I'd get onto one highway, change highways, go through a toll, and change highways again--without downshifting. Last two miles I'd have to shift to go through lights in the city.

In the city part I quickly got into taking nearly all right hand turns, also.

I always kinda sucks driving into the city, but it's always nice driving back out into the sticks. Gets really nice when it's snowing. Traffic starts out miserable, then half way home the traffic has all thinned out, and all I can watch is falling snow. Very serene.

the only thing you have to worry about at 2am is drunkards blowing through redlights and t boning you.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
On Long Island, the words perfect and drive usually don't go together. At 0200 the roads are usually traffic free, the biggest fear is drunken drivers at that hour.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Way to many drunk people on Friday nights. Especially on Nichols rd and sunrise.

When I lived with my parents and worked thr 4am shift at target, I could make the entire 20 mile drive without a stop. Was super easy on the car. Acellerate out of town and dont slow down until at work.

Commute home not so much.

My daily commute is 2 miles country two lane at 50mph, one stop sign then interstate at 70-80mph for 10 miles. Work is just off the interstate exit.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
the only thing you have to worry about at 2am is drunkards blowing through redlights and t boning you.

So, you've met albertson??

If I leave early (I generally do, because I don't trust the Saturn Outlook), I'll generally miss the big traffic rush. Other than three stop signs (and one right turn that's generally green), it's a pretty smooth ride for my 13 mile commute at about 45mph.

I had a really nice drive in to work many years ago between Loveland and Longmont. Back roads looking at the mountains all the way. Most days I was the only car on the road in the old vette.

Most of my working career I worked at home. I took the vette on customer visits though, all the way up to newfoundland once. Would just have fun with it. Had a lot of fun drives.

I'd like to take the trans am out on some projects. Guys laugh when I show up at a substation in a corvette. I don't care what anyone thinks. Life is for having fun.

If you have a commute, drive something fun. Enjoy life.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I have a perfect one every day, walk across the street, jump in the work van Transit, I'm at work! Fifty foot walk.
X2 Transit is my cube on wheels. Winter of '04-'05, I was working an over night 72 miles away. My 1st 528e, the Borman6, was closing in on 350 K miles. It loved it. Mass Pike out to 495 and a few exits north. One night, I did it in 8 inches of wet snow. Another morning I made the trip in 59 minutes. One morning, I ran the engine up to the limiter which shuts off the injectors at 5200 RPM. 72 mph in 2. Most of the 200 K i put on the car was commuting 30 miles each way up Rt 3 into Boston. BOT, books on CD s now, keep me from being on the 5 O'clock news for road rage. I average 200 miles a day in the Transit. The job is driving paperwork around. I just broke 100 K miles in 2 yrs.

3 mile drive to work, 3 stop signs, 5 lights. I get a all green light drive quite often.

My previous job was 30 miles, same 3 stop signs, same 5 lights plus one then 27 miles of freeway @ 65 - 75MPH, exit freeway and turn into parking lot. Easy drive opposite way of traffic both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back