Replacement for Michelin LTX M/S2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I service the Trailblazer of a good friend of mine. Today while doing an oil change and rear brakes, I told her that she should consider new tires at some point as they are nearing the wear bars. So she asked my opinion on what to get... I'm not much of a Michelin fan as they always seem to crack, but these (LTX M/S2) have been a stupendous tire for her in my opinion. She bought the SUV with approx 70k miles and it has 147k on it now- the tires came with the vehicle and are still not to the wear bars! I asked her if they ride nice, are quiet and so on an she had no complaints. She is also willing to spend some coin on decent tires if that's what it takes since she does a reasonable amount of driving for her job. Her commute is approx 75% hwy/interstate and she will see all conditions except severe snow.

My suppliers do not offer the LTX M/S2, but do offer the Defender LTX M/S and Premier LTX. Also have several Goodyear tires as options (as well as many other brands). What is your input? The Defender LTX m/S looks similar to the LTX M/S2's and has a good mileage warranty to boot and is where I'm leaning.

I'd absolutely put the Defender LTX on it, it is the replacement for the LTX MS2. She liked the old ones and they lasted a very long time. Another set will likely be the last tires she ever needs to buy for the truck.

With that much mileage, she might be planning on trading it in soon? If so, I would just get a set of cheaper tires on it. The Michelin's will be twice as expensive as some cheaper options.

I had Michelin LTX's on a Dakota and they lasted FOREVER! put some on my brother's intrepid and he got double the miles than I did with any tires on my Intrepid...

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
With that much mileage, she might be planning on trading it in soon? If so, I would just get a set of cheaper tires on it. The Michelin's will be twice as expensive as some cheaper options.

No, she plans on keeping it until it's dead. It's been a good vehicle for her and meets all her wants/needs. If it means spending $$$ on good tires to keep herself safe and give good service in all categories then that is what she will do.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I had Michelin LTX's on a Dakota and they lasted FOREVER! put some on my brother's intrepid and he got double the miles than I did with any tires on my Intrepid...

I do all the service and repair work and I see her almost daily and have been comply blown away by their longevity! Looking at all the siping and what appears to be a softer tread compound, I expected them to be gone in no time... but every time I see them, they look virtually unchanged... I'd love to find a reason bag on them, but can't.

If they don't dry rot in your climate and you can get a decent price for them, I'd go for it.

My grandmother's Trailblazer rots Michelins off of it here in Phoenix.

It has Continentals, I have not been thrilled with them either, but not because of dry rotting.

What tire size?
smile.gif

My F150 has Michelin with ~60K and still have good tread. I live in Phoenix and they are not dry rotting. Last weekend I went on a weekend getaway 3 hours north. When I got back was doing my usual walk around inspection checks and saw a nail in the tread. I got some needle nose pliers and pulled it from against the steel belts and no leak. IMO Michelin makes some of the best tires in the world.

Rubber breaks down more in a rough climate but that should effect most tires the same not just a particular brand.

I've had my '04 Trailblazer since 30k and now it has 160k on it. Great vehicle and that Vortex I-6 engine sounds like the day I bought it. When I replaced the stock Continentals many years ago with LTX tires, it increased the ride of the car tremendously. Any extra money for these tires vs. others is money well spent.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Is her Trailblazer the only thing that you service??

For the time being, yes. Until such a time comes that my wife doesn't mind sharing and my best friend and shop partner doesn't mind doing me stepping in, the Trailblazer is the only thing of hers that I'll be putting my hands on...

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What tire size?
smile.gif

Yes, sorry about that. Tires are 245/60-18. This is on a 2007 model.

245/60-18

My choice would be the Nitto NT421Q

The Defender LTX is good if treadlife is the most important thing by far. Michelin's Latitude Tour HP is also good, a touring SUV/crossover tire.

Goodyear's Fuel Max and TripleTred are also good tires that would work for the intended usage.

The BFG Long Trail TA is a popular tire on here for SUV/truck applications.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Any input on the Goodyear Wrangler series?

I've yet to own a Goodyear tire that I've liked. I've had a lot of them over the years.

As for Michelin's, I have three sets of Michelin's on my cars right now. I like them in those applications. I've also had the Michelin LTX M/S, and LTX M/S2. I haven't tried the new LTX Defender.

In an application where an LTX M/S2 is a consideration, I prefer the Toyo Open Country H/T. It's just as quiet as the LTX M/S2, lasts just as long, is great in rain, does well in snow. But in the same size and load range as an LTX series Michelin, the Toyo H/T rides smoother, and seems to hold balance better. It can usually be bought for significantly less the the Michelin's, too.

I have the Goodyear Wranglers on my 2013 Chevy Silverado. Comfort and noise isn't a problem, but with 31k miles, they look like they are nearing the end of their tread life. I expect over 75k miles on Michelin LTXs I have on my HD pickup. Needless to say, I won't go with Goodyear for replacement tires.

Tires are 245/60-18.

Tires are not cheap in that size. My Ridgeline has the same size, and I'm contemplating what I'll do next as far as tires go.

Currently considering both the Defender LTX and the Premier LTX. The Premier should be the better-riding tire of the two. What worries me about the Defender LTX is all of Michelin's marketing about it being more durable under high torque situations, etc. A great thing for folks who tow and tear tires up on gravel roads and such. It seems to be engineered for service it would never see in my situation, and the side effects are likely a stiffer ride.

The Premier LTX tires seem to be engineered to deliver a pleasant on-road experience (ride, noise, etc) rather than durability for guys pulling Bobcats and Ditch Witches. My Ridgeline will likely see the Premier LTXes when it gets tires. Those are certainly what we're going to put on our MDX this winter or next spring.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Any input on the Goodyear Wrangler series?

I've yet to own a Goodyear tire that I've liked. I've had a lot of them over the years.

As for Michelin's, I have three sets of Michelin's on my cars right now. I like them in those applications. I've also had the Michelin LTX M/S, and LTX M/S2. I haven't tried the new LTX Defender.

In an application where an LTX M/S2 is a consideration, I prefer the Toyo Open Country H/T. It's just as quiet as the LTX M/S2, lasts just as long, is great in rain, does well in snow. But in the same size and load range as an LTX series Michelin, the Toyo H/T rides smoother, and seems to hold balance better. It can usually be bought for significantly less the the Michelin's, too.

From what I see through my vendors, the Toyo Open Country HT isn't available in that size. The QC or QT (whichever it is) however, is.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Tires are 245/60-18.

Tires are not cheap in that size. My Ridgeline has the same size, and I'm contemplating what I'll do next as far as tires go.

Currently considering both the Defender LTX and the Premier LTX. The Premier should be the better-riding tire of the two. What worries me about the Defender LTX is all of Michelin's marketing about it being more durable under high torque situations, etc. A great thing for folks who tow and tear tires up on gravel roads and such. It seems to be engineered for service it would never see in my situation, and the side effects are likely a stiffer ride.

The Premier LTX tires seem to be engineered to deliver a pleasant on-road experience (ride, noise, etc) rather than durability for guys pulling Bobcats and Ditch Witches. My Ridgeline will likely see the Premier LTXes when it gets tires. Those are certainly what we're going to put on our MDX this winter or next spring.

Good point about the Defender. I'm betting you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back