Finasteride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anybody is taking this medication for hair loss. Save me the ridicule on the side affects, I'm well aware of them.

Finasta-what? Never heard of it. I'm balding like an Eagle and cut the hair short with a #2 trimmer. Do my own haircuts. Keep it short and tight. Wear a hat a lot and keep in shape. No issues! Have a nice day.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
If you knew how many women absolutely LOVE bald men you'd probably not worry so much about your hair...

Zactly! Hair is overrated!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Finasta-what? Never heard of it. I'm balding like an Eagle and cut the hair short with a #2 trimmer. Do my own haircuts. Keep it short and tight. Wear a hat a lot and keep in shape. No issues! Have a nice day.

I had to Google it. It's Propecia and it pretty much kills your male hormones.

Finasteride is a testosterone analogue - supposedly it competes with DHT to treat certain types of baldness or enlarged prostate glands. I knew a few people on it.

I took it for a couple years and it seemed to stop my hair loss. I haven't been on it for about 5 years and haven't noticed any additional hair loss in that time. To keep the costs down my Dr. prescribed me the 5mg tablets, used to treat enlarged prostate, and had me cut them in fourths to get down to the 1mg dose for hair loss. No side effects for me.

I began to lose my hair at a young age, around 21, and took it for about 7-8 years along with Rogaine. It really worked well, it stopped my hair loss and even grew some back. I got sick of spending money on it as well as the hassle, I quit taking it/Rogaine around the age of 28-29 and let nature take its course. I'm 34 now and am really thinning on top. I don't care anymore and just buzz it super short.

Some women like bald men and some don't but plenty of them out there that don't care either way. My wife certainly doesn't care and it was a very liberating feeling to just not care anymore.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach
Finasteride is a testosterone analogue - supposedly it competes with DHT to treat certain types of baldness or enlarged prostate glands. I knew a few people on it.

Took it for 4-6 months to treat BPH. Finally gave up on it due to no improvement. Don't recall any negative side effects. Life went on the same way. And my balding head didn't grow any new hair either...lol. It's been falling out since I was 17. I long ago stopped worrying about that.

I've been on it for years for a softened and enlarged prostate. Works great for that.

I still have most of my hair. I had a receding hairline in my 20's, but have not gone bald yet (68), so take that for what it's worth.

If you are having prostate issues, it's a go-to drug. Be glad they make it
smile.gif

The guy I know who takes it swears that its a miracle from God himself. And seeing the pictures of his father and uncles at his same age, I tend to agree.

Seems to be important to start treatment as soon as possible. The more delay, the more irreversible the loss becomes. For some people, this may very well be in one's early 20s. Not exactly a time when young men feel like going to the doctor and taking pills, but its a lot cheaper/easier/safer than regretting it later.

I think when he started, a prescription for the medication was $300-$400/year, and he obtained a concentrated super-strength version, cutting the pills up to the dose for hair loss. But prices have come down when the medication went off-patent. Treatment costs him all of $30-$35/year now.

Only one big side effect, and that is, do not let the fertile females in your life anywhere near the stuff. The birth defects can be severe if they are exposed, even inadvertently to it in pregnancy.

Was going to say that the most successful way of preventing hair loss is to become castrati in your early years.

This is just the chemical version of it.

Do the former, it's cheaper in the long term probably.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
If you knew how many women absolutely LOVE bald men you'd probably not worry so much about your hair...

Zactly! Hair is overrated!

Wow, you two found the perfect wifes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back