Getting ready to Make the Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soon my oil will be due for a service and Pennzoil sent me the Make the switch package. I was going to drive the car for 30 minutes and take a sample via the oil siphon way and call it good. It will lose about a 1/10th qt and was going to refill with Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 and drive the 30 miles to have it changed to PUP 0w20. Will that help in cleaning before going PUP? I've seen many people have to add oil due to consumption changing oil brands and thought this might serve as a buffer?Current fill is Castrol Edge 0w20 with FU oil filter going to PUP 0w20 with FU oil filter.
This car has 50000 on a 2015 Civic. Thanks

I'm not sure if I understand correctly but if you're only taking a small sample out and the oil level is above minimum and going to be changed immediately there's no need to top off for just a short drive.

I doubt unless extremely abused that engine is anything but spotless

Why a uoa? Drain out the oil that is in there now and put the new oil in. No oil change voodoo needed.

Brace yourself for the switch!! Shew buddy. Changing brands of oil really isn' that drastic. I'd drive it easy for the first couple hundred miles after the switch. Just to see if your engine likes it.

If you were really this concerned, why not keep using the Castrol?

If you're talking about draining a few ounces of oil for a UOA, there's no need to top it up with anything.
Castrol to PUP?
Well, I tried the original gold bottle Edge years ago when it enjoyed its fifteen minutes on here with many members proclaiming it to be the smoothest oil they'd ever used.
I had to wait for the right deal combined with a rare Castrol MIR, of course.
I switched from PP to the Edge, which wasn't all that and a bag of potato chips after all.
Guess what? I saw negligible consumption on PP, Edge or when going back to PP.
No need to obsess about changing brand of oil. Aside from the now pretty rare sodium add pack Valvoline still uses, they're more alike than different anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back