Castrol edge 5w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
Tomorrow im going change oil in my s13...i normally use 20w50
My question is if i do use the 5w50 would that result in oil consumption or in any extreme case destruction to my engine?
The reason why i want to switch is to be able to go longer on oil intervals thanks

I think you should be fine, they are both 50 grade oils. With my old Holdens I use to swap around between GTX 20W50 and Penrite 20W60 and Edge 10W60 all the time. No problems at all.

BTW I've seen M1 5W-50 but never Edge 5W-50. Here it's mostly Edge 5W30 or 0W40 or 10W60.

Well mine has the SR20DET
But it burns any oil thinner thats why i asked
frown.gif

No blue smoke on mornings, no blue smoke at all

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jdavis
Ahh, didn't realize it had that engine. I really wonder how it would do on Rotella T6 5w-40 to be honest..

I agree, or a 10W-40 A3/B4 semi-synthetic or a 15W-40 HDEO.

Have you thought about mobil 15w50? It will be amazingly stable and not burn off as easily as the 5w50. Is cold start a concern?

There may be other factors involved in oil consumption. Make sure the PCV system is in good condition and only use OEM parts. Also, look remove the tubing that connects the turbocharger to the air filter.

The compressor wheel should spin, but if it moves vertically, the turbo failed and needs replacement. Next, put the tubing back together.

You should also remove the pipes upstream and downstream of the intercooler and see if oil is inside the intercooler. That would also be a sign of turbo failure.

Sometimes oil sludge will build up inside the turbo oil drain line. The pressurized oil will come out of the turbo bearings if it can't return to the engine oil sump.

When an engine runs very hot, oil that isn't changed regularly will form sludge on the piston rings and cause oil burning. If this is the case, removal all spark plugs, put some engine cleaning solvent in the bores, and let the engine sit overnight. Remove the remaining solvent and put the spark plugs back in.

Turbocharged engines develop problems more quickly than NA engines if abused. I don't know how the previous owner maintained your car.

OK, no worries.

What didn't you like about it (10W40) ? Just asking, no problem with your selection.

Hold it, just saw your previous post, you had oil consumption issues.

Last edited:
The SR20DET engine is NOT one of those engines to try and play the thin oil game on.

Back in my Japanese import days, I spent a lot of time in the shops of two different guys who built these engines. They will croak driven hard on a 30, and a 40 has to be a very good 40.

This engine should run a good 50, unless used only for commute/grocery shopping.

At 200k miles with a good 50, if you tear down the engine, you'll feel like putting everything back in it will look so good.

What are your oil change intervals currently?

I'd give the Edge 5W50 a try. I think you'll like it. It was my fave oil out of every oil I've tried. I only wish Walmart sold it in 5 quart jugs. Edge 10W40 definitely come in second.

My OCI is 3000 miles...PCV valve is new as well as the turbo and piping.
The 10w40 i used before, i had burn off issues and the 20w50 im using atm is valvoline maxlife (which i have no problems btw)

The reason i asked if i could use the castrol because i wanted to go a bit longer on the OCI

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nissan101
My OCI is 3000 miles...PCV valve is new as well as the turbo and piping.
The 10w40 i used before, i had burn off issues and the 20w50 im using atm is valvoline maxlife (which i have no problems btw)

The reason i asked if i could use the castrol because i wanted to go a bit longer on the OCI

You need to do a UOA to find out if your engine is either a shear monster (causes excessive shearing of engine oil viscosity) or has high fuel dilution. If your engine has either issue, I wouldn't worry about extending just yet.

With a big spread like 5w/50, shearing would likely only become a bigger issue, and fuel dilution would likely prevent you from stacking on any extra miles.

My advice would be to stick with Valvoline, but move up to the VR1 20w/50. You already know your engine likes that grade, and VR1 is about as good as it gets in that grade without going to full-bore boutique oil. I use it for 5000 miles in engines that would eat 5w/50 and M1 15w/50 for breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back