Growing pains (and gains) of P&W's Pure Power eng.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bombardier just announced a reduction in the number of deliveries this year (15 down to 7) of their CS100 to Swiss Air.

They cited P&W as the source of the problem. P&W, in turn, cited supplier issues in delivering their geared turbofan engine to Bombardier.
My source is based on a Wall Street Journal.com article from earlier today.

P&W says the fan-to-LPC gearbox is a lifetime, sealed item. Where have we heard that one before?
smile.gif

I'm an A&P at Embraer's heavy maintenance & overhaul facility here in Nashville. The next generation of the E-Jets will have a version of this engine. Big change for us, as the current E-Jets have always had the GE CF34. From what I've heard, Embraer was looking for more performance for the new generation of aircraft, but GE didn't want to sink any funds into improving the CF34 any further.

There seems to be alot of engine development delays going around. Cessna and Dassault both have programs being held up by availability of new powerplants. SNECMA/Safran is the maker in those cases IIRC. Continually pushing tech to decrease fuel consumption/emissions while maintaining durability and the resulting new materials and non-recurring engineering expense is proving to be harder than the original schedules/budgets forecast. Tough job and a lot of smart people working their tails off.

Pratt has been in the unfortunate position of being the third horse in a two-horse race for some decades now among builders of commercial airliner engines.
The GTF engine program has the potential to put Pratt back into the position they enjoyed fifty years ago, when nobody bought either GE or Rolls engines as a matter of choice.
The Pratt GTFs do offer measurably better fuel burn than do other engines on the same frames for the same routes.
The GTF does deliver measurably lower fuel burns than do other engines.
If Pratt can overcome the current fault code reliability problems of their GTF engines, then GE and RR will have some catching up to do with new GTF designs of their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back