Esso Synergy Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that's Esso's answer to Shell's V-Power NiTRO+. I haven't seen any ads, but a couple mentions in the trade publications and some Esso signage. I've read of it appearing in the UK and have seen it here, but not tried it. Has it appeared at Exxon-Mobil affiliated stations in the States?

I'm not in a giant rush to try it yet. The Shell fuel in my tank isn't fighting with the Mobil Delvac 1 yet, so all should be okay.
wink.gif

For my sins, I used to put additive packages together for so-called 'advanced' gasoline. If I'm honest, I didn't believe in them then and that view hasn't softened as the years have ticked by. As far as I was concerned, they were additives that did nothing to solve problems that didn't exist! Don't get me wrong. I do know why the oil companies sell premium brand gasolines and I do understand why a percentage of the population will fill their tanks with nothing else. A convinving technical story has been married up to a strong marketing narrative to stimulate a response from A-B's. However I'm going to continue doing what I've done for the last thirty years which is buy the cheapest unleaded I can find, regardless of who's selling it...

I usually use Shell but I pass an Esso and a Gulf on the way to work soi use them occasionally - Esso regular fuel over here is synergy, their premium/high octane/top tier is called supreme. Must be marketed differently over there..

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
However I'm going to continue doing what I've done for the last thirty years which is buy the cheapest unleaded I can find, regardless of who's selling it...

I don't shy away from the Top Tier or other "advanced" gasolines, since here, the price is usually the same regardless of the source. Last time I checked, Esso's premium was a tiny bit cheaper than Shell's, but my Shell credit card wipes that difference out.

Olas: I'll have to check at a station and see what they're calling individual grades here. I know they just Synergy flags all over the Esso stations now, but they're still doing things small time, at least in comparison the Shell. The flags are small and it took me a while to figure out what it was. Shell leaves no confusion about the fact that they think you should buy their fuel and that V-Power is a fuel trademark.
wink.gif

Back tracking a bit, saw the 7 key ingredients commercial again recently a couple times. This time it did show Exxon and Mobil.

As for top tier gas, same price or less in these parts with many different brand choices, so no down side to using it imo.

I haven't seen any commercials up here, on American or Canadian TV, but that really means so little. Lots of American TV gets Canadian commercials broadcast over, and I don't watch enough TV these days. The flags seem to be all over the stations, now.

I've been putting it in my S2000 and Expedition the last few tanks. They seem to be running.
smile.gif
Exxon has the cheapest gas around the house, often 20-40 cents cheaper than the Shell nearby, which seems crazy.

robert

I regularly fill up both VW's at Esso using their Premium. I'm sure the new Synergy Gasoline is doing what it is suppose to be doing, but the ol' but-o-meter hasn't noticed anything, nor did I expect to.

I put a tank of this in the Soul the other day.

It 'seemed' to run better...but that is just an impression from one tank, nothing behind it at all.

Will probably try it again...

I've always found the Esso (and Shell, for them matter) fuel to run really smoothly in the G37. The old truck doesn't care much about anything, as long as it's something close enough to gasoline.
wink.gif
I've had a few hiccups with other brands in the G37 before. Shell and Esso work out to be fairly convenient for me.

Now seeing new high tech Mobil fuel pumps moving back into the Houston area - as XOM & Shell continue to share a major portion of the sales. (Like 80% of mine for fuel & lubes).
Considering the Infineum JV - gives rise to the question of how many of the same fuel additives they both use as they market what "sets them apart" ...

I haven't tried it yet - but a few 76 stations switched over to Mobil the past few weeks, I did see a lot of marketing for Synergy in Vancouver. I did read about a Uber-XOM partnership and seeing how every other car in SF/Oakland is an Uber I don't blame the franchisee for switching over. Maybe I'll skip my usual Chevron or Costco fill up, since that former 76 station was a good $.05-.10 cheaper than the Chevron nearby.

https://newsroom.uber.com/partner-fuel-card/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back