2017 Elantra No Direct Injection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mike7139
Is it true that the 2017 Elantra uses Port Injection instead of Direct Injection? What are the pros and cons of this?

2.0L - non-GDi

1.4T - Turbo GDI

Pros and cons? My opinion is they are minute either way.

Port injection has a longer track record for reliability. That said I have a direct injected Vehicle.

Direct injection usually produces more power and has better gas mileage. Some say that bad gas will cause problems later with direct injection so port injection would be considered more reliable but it's an older technology.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
I would agree.GDi works if your maintenance is consitant but otherwise its troublesome.

Really brah?

Just about every new vehicle on the market these days has direct injection.

I haven't had any engine issues except an oil leak since I purchased my Sonata new. Car has 114k miles.

My folks have 55k miles on a 2014 MDX they bought new, with direct injection. Despite the recommendation for premium fuel, dad uses only the cheapest regular he can find. Seems to tolerate it just fine.

Get a car without GDI. Save yourself from the intake valve clogging carbon gremlins. Unless you're leasing or are a short term owner, of course.

Port injection is not a lesser or outdated technology. That's why so many of the latest GDI engines use both port and direct injection.

Biggest problem with DI is that it is under-utilized. Until emissions Controls allow for a true lean-burn mode, it's not as big of a deal.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Port injection is not a lesser or outdated technology. That's why so many of the latest GDI engines use both port and direct injection.

Biggest problem with DI is that it is under-utilized. Until emissions Controls allow for a true lean-burn mode, it's not as big of a deal.

Great points mentioned. My 17' Elantra utilizes a modern version of the Atkinson Cycle aka the Otto Cycle design where the intake valve is held open longer for reverse air flow into the manifold. This cycle at the expense of total power output however the Otto cycle is only part time. Pair that with the six speed automatic and you also have sport mode for it which makes for an excellent combination of economy as well as sport driving depending on conditions and mood. Highest mpg I was able to achieve was 40mpg, average is north of 32 combined city/highway.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
My folks have 55k miles on a 2014 MDX they bought new, with direct injection. Despite the recommendation for premium fuel, dad uses only the cheapest regular he can find. Seems to tolerate it just fine.

Too soon to make any conclusions that it tolerates it well. Why would he buy such n expensive vehicle and then not use the proper fuel?

Is this a fact? I know Toyota does this but I haven't heard of anyone else.

Audi does as well, in Europe to further reduce emissions.

Now, more are developing a bi-injection engine as well, and fuel system companies are developing bi-injection for the next generation of engines.

I should have been specific that I was referring to the latest engines in development.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10

Is this a fact? I know Toyota does this but I haven't heard of anyone else.

Ford redesigned its 3.5 EcoBoost engine for 2017 and it has one direct and one port injector for each cylinder. Hard to say if this was done to solve a problem or make a good thing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back