How to open oil filter in least destructive way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best way to open an oil filter then close it without destroying it?
I want to open it to add a different filtering media, as an experiment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
What is the best way to open an oil filter then close it without destroying it?
I want to open it to add a different filtering media, as an experiment.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
https://amzn.com/B005S39PWS

I need to close it shut afterwards. How do I do this?

Trolling?
Trolling.gif

Last edited:
Are the lips usually rolled on an oil filter and if so is it possible to unroll them, then re-roll them afterwards?

If you're actually serious, I think your best bet would be to start with one of the reusable billet filters.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
If you're actually serious, I think your best bet would be to start with one of the reusable billet filters.

Thanks for the tip. These are $200 and beyond my budget.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
https://amzn.com/B005S39PWS

I need to close it shut afterwards. How do I do this?

Gorilla tape ... not really. You would have to weld the can somehow, and that would probably damage the insides.

What's the goal of this experiment?

could try a pipe splice- pipe patch from hardware. Basically a rubber boot that slips over the joint and couple of big hose clamps. There are several kinds. One has a metel band to cover and support the entire boot. I bet if there was a sub mariner here abouts they would know what I am trying to talk about.

???
Add different media? Just buy a new filter with different media. Or buy a vehicle with an element filter.

If you cut a filter open, you won't get it back together in a useable fashion. Sure you may be able to weld it, but I would not do that.

Cutting open makes sense. Putting back together and trying to reuse makes no sense.
IMHO of course.

LOL I was a submariner ...they called those band-it kits and strongbacks to cover holes in pipes. I see the problem as the diameter of the can. any rubber boot would have to fit snugly and then be able to contain some pressure without exploding or leaking. If I had to mcguyver that I would try to find a metal pipe same circumference or larger than the filter can with caps on both ends. Cut the filters can off and leave a small skirt then cut a hole on one ogf the pipes end caps and weld the filters base to it. Now you can just screw the large pipe onto the threads that are welded to the filters base and put a cap on the opposite end.

Last edited:
Might as well open up the louvers or de-burr the center tube hole while your at it.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Might as well open up the louvers or de-burr the center tube hole while your at it.
lol.gif

Lol!

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Sounds good to me. Tig weld would help keep heat down and prevent warping etc.

What's a Tig weld?

Originally Posted By: tig1

What's a Tig weld?

Tungsten arc, inert gas weld

Originally Posted By: kjbock
Originally Posted By: tig1

What's a Tig weld?

Tungsten arc, inert gas weld
crackmeup2.gif
"tig1" is literally a tig welder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back