Last ditch effort on Honda CR-V K24 engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems hard to draw any conclusion based on 62 complaints of excessive oil consumption on a 13 year old car, although clearly its not an unheard of problem. Man, the auto transmissions on those REALLY logged the complaints. The 01 corolla, which was a terrible burner, didn't show many complaints at all.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Seems hard to draw any conclusion based on 62 complaints of excessive oil consumption on a 13 year old car, although clearly its not an unheard of problem. Man, the auto transmissions on those REALLY logged the complaints. The 01 corolla, which was a terrible burner, didn't show many complaints at all.

Yea I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...
smile.gif
I've always loved Honda's and just can't believe this one eats oil like it does. Other than that, great little SUV and goes wonderful in the snow!

well, you jumped in yourself with your eyes open! your owe yourselves to get your hands on Kroil before giving up and installing re-man in this vehicle.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Originally Posted By: dlayman

Yea I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...
smile.gif
I've always loved Honda's and just can't believe this one eats oil like it does. Other than that, great little SUV and goes wonderful in the snow!

Well, I did the same thing buying an old Civic, same year in fact, and needing a head gasket. Plenty of complaints about that problem too. I had another one of the same generation I took to over 300k and never had that problem. Fortunately, I caught it early and it wasn't as expensive as I feared ($750) and I got the car at a good price. I expected it would need some things. Seems like it will be a solid car now (knock on wood).

Just some advice, not for the OP since he probably knows better, someone suggested loading up the cylinders with a liquid and letting it sit over night and start it up the next day. My advice is crank the car over with the plugs out the next day. If you start it up with too much extra in the cylinders the compression will be very high and you could seriously damage the rings.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Just some advice, not for the OP since he probably knows better, someone suggested loading up the cylinders with a liquid and letting it sit over night and start it up the next day. My advice is crank the car over with the plugs out the next day. If you start it up with too much extra in the cylinders the compression will be very high and you could seriously damage the rings.

Hydrolocked! Good point gasbuggy, not a good thing at all!

In my case, the several oz I put in the plug holes was gone within an hour... I'm thinking the rings are on their way to certain death but compression is still well within spec for this motor?

An 03? 03's dont have VCT, so it's not that. It's probably time to re-ring it, you haven't compression checked it yet?

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
An 03? 03's dont have VCT, so it's not that. It's probably time to re-ring it, you haven't compression checked it yet?

What is this VCT you guys are mentioning? I googled it and still nothing. Are you referring to the VTEC or iVTEC system by chance?

EDIT: Nevermind its a VTC actuator and it wasn't used until the 2008 MY, doesn't affect my 03...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back