Chevrolet struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wanting to change the struts on my Cobalt. I wanted to support local business and called the dealer to get a quote. He said GM doesnt provide the whole assembly and I dont want to try swapping springs. I want to just unbolt the old and bolt-on the new ones. However, on the Rock Auto page they have a left and right ACDelco pictured and for sale complete and ready assemblies. What gives?

You could remove the assemblies and take them to a shop and let them swap out the springs.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
You could remove the assemblies and take them to a shop and let them swap out the springs.

This is probably the cheapest. I can't see them charging an hour for what is probably 10 minutes of work. Just call ahead and roughly schedule when you'd bring them in. Local corner shop is best bet.

The ACDelco quick struts on Rock Auto are not their GM Original equipment line. They are the Professional series, which is mid-grade aftermarket parts. Many ACD Professional shocks are Gabriel.

You should buy Monroe or Gabriel quick struts, along with the rear shocks, as there is a rebate promo going on right now for both brands. Are there any independent auto parts stores near you? Or any CQ or Napa franchises?

Some Napas are franchises, and some are corporate-owned. The corporate Napas will be listed as Genuine Parts Company on their website; everything else is franchise.

The CQ stores that still use the CQ name are franchises (all of the corporate-owned stores use the AAP name--during the takeover, all the corporate-owned CQ stores either shut down or became AAP)

I used OEM ACDelcos (not the professional) shocks on the front of my Silverado. I had to use a spring compressor. First time both newly installed shocks started to leak, had to take them out and return them. Then one of the new-new ones started leaking, had to return that. I mean oil on chassis members leaking. If I had to do it again I would have just put in Monroe Quick Struts. I wouldn't buy on amazon either. Yes they're cheaper there, but I think their handling/shipping can really [censored] up fluid filled car parts sometimes. I had bought some shocks from amazon and they were leaking right out of the box.

After reading on here how some quick struts leave some cars with different ride heights. I went to Oreillys compatability feature and only the KYBs are strictly for the Cobalt. The other two quick struts they sold fit the HHRs as well.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
After reading on here how some quick struts leave some cars with different ride heights. I went to Oreillys compatability feature and only the KYBs are strictly for the Cobalt. The other two quick struts they sold fit the HHRs as well.

There is nothing wrong with using quick struts designed for both the Cobalt and HHR. Any of them will change your ride height since they come with new springs.

Quite a few vehicles have shared suspension geometry. For example, the shocks and struts from the Mazda 5 minivan are the same as the Mazda 3 car (and also the European-market Focus of the time). In particular, the MS3 shocks and springs are rather well-suited for the 5, and a few people have ene used the MS3 parts on the van.

The Corolla and Matrix also have geometrically-identical struts and shocks.

Some people even like the heavier-duty springs used for the bigger models.

KYB is good, but why not save some money and go with the Monroe quick struts on rebate right now
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back