Does caliper grease really do any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know on the pins yes of course.

But on the back of the pads, on the little clips that hold the ears of the pads in, etc. I ask this because I've never changed pads on a vehicle that had any grease left in any of these locations, and the vehicles never had a squeak. Seems like I apply it just to have it vanish in however long it takes, and I've witnessed it be gone in a matter of months, if not sooner.

I put a little on the back of the pads even if they have those liners. Less chance of squeaky brakes. I don't care what the manufacturer or mechanics say.

The OEM specifies brake grease for the pad shims so I have always used it. The grease is still there when I clean up each caliper and grease the pins, pad tabs and shims.

I use the rubber blue anti squeak on the backs of the pads, and UNDER the shims as well.

I unclip the shim, put a thin layer on the back of the pad, and wait until it dries.

Then I clip the shim back on over the dry blue rubbery anti squeak.

Also, I use anti-seize UNDER the pad ear abutment clips to prevent rust growing under the clips as we deal with salted roads in the Winter.

This is to prevent the pad ear from binding in the abutment clip.

The anti-seize under the abutment clips will stay there for a very long time.

If you do all the "sure, why not" stuff during a brake job, it gives everything as long as possible to properly bed in and function.

More of a PITA if you do a "quick and dirty" only to have squeeky brakes a month later.

I only put grease on the ears. I put some on the shims and started squealing as a result. Low moly grease, maybe? I figure, if it doesn't squeal without grease, then I am better off wihout.

I had a persistent squeal in my MG front right brakes that was driving me crazy and would get worse as the brakes heated. I'd ordered pads and rotors a while back, so decided to bite the bullet last weekend and dig into the brakes(front and rear). The drums at the back were at 90%, so I cleaned and adjusted them then called it a day. I then dug into the front, and found better than 50% pad life with no issues on the drums. I couldn't bring myself to change them.

The caliper design is a bit "unconventional" compared to modern cars(I guess that's what a 63-year old design gets you), so it took me a bit of fiddling to get them back together. In any case, I cleaned everything up and greased the back of the pads along with the shims and the cotter pins that the hold the pads in place. There was no grease to be found anywhere. The result is that the squeak is now gone.

BTW, I did flush brake fluid through the system until it came out looking like brake fluid, and fortunately all the sponginess is gone from the pedal.

Originally Posted By: Falken

If you do all the "sure, why not" stuff during a brake job, it gives everything as long as possible to properly bed in and function.

More of a PITA if you do a "quick and dirty" only to have squeeky brakes a month later.

So a theory is that the grease, even if it runs off rather quickly, may aid in allowing the pads to settle easier.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
The OEM specifies brake grease for the pad shims so I have always used it. The grease is still there when I clean up each caliper and grease the pins, pad tabs and shims.

I don't think I've ever seen any left. I currently use 'synthetic' grease, with the green label. Always dry. What kind do you use?

Good question. It must wash off at some point.

I can say that the silicon grease is excellent for rebuilding calipers and wheel cylinders. I lube up the seals, dust boots, pistons and cylinders with the stuff and everything goes back together nice and smooth. And I don't get any brake fluid all over my hands or anything else. I have used both the Sil-Glyde and the Dow stuff.

The copper paste I'm using with much success (doesn't swell rubbers either) is based on a bentonite clay.

Copper%20CompoundNew.jpg

http://www.marly.com/en/store/vetten/pate-de-cuivre-500-gr.aspx

I did the front brakes on my wife's Rav4. The pads said to not use grease on the back of the pads. They squeaked badly when braking going forward. I pulled the wheels and greased the backs, they stopped squeaking when braking going forward but still squeaked a little when in reverse.

I use a lot of grease now when I change brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back