Keller-Heartt TrueGard Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't really seen much discussion on this. Amazon has a 55 gallon drum of this synthetic 5w20 for 744.50. That is cheaper than SuperTech synthetic locally. Is this any good? Any VOA's? it's GF-5 and SN rated...

True...I was thinking for 2 vehicles. It would give me roughly 20 changes for both. Meaning, it would last a little over 2 years. Doing 4 changes each per yr

Last edited:
That works out to $16.92 per 5-quart "jug" which is indeed slightly less than the current $17.47 for Super Tech, but personally I wouldn't find the savings substantial enough to justify tying up over $700 and having to deal with dispensing out of a drum.

That is not a good price for a drum of some off-brand oil.
Check around online. You can do better.
You can also do better buying real oils with MIRs and store deals. There is really no need to buy a drum, but if you do at least do so at a better price for a known-good oil.
Why are you changing both of your four wheelers four times a year each.
Do they do that many miles, or are you one of the stuck on shorter than needed drain guys?

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
True...I was thinking for 2 vehicles. It would give me roughly 20 changes for both. Meaning, it would last a little over 2 years. Doing 4 changes each per yr

I don't quite understand your math. If you're doing 4 changes per year, for 2 vehicles, for 2 years, that means you're doing a total of 16 oil changes in 2 years.

In order to use up the 55 gallons of oil in 2 years, each oil change would be 3.4375 gallons. (55/16).

I'm wondering if you did the calculations as if it's a 55 quart container.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
That works out to $16.92 per 5-quart "jug" which is indeed slightly less than the current $17.47 for Super Tech, but personally I wouldn't find the savings substantial enough to justify tying up over $700 and having to deal with dispensing out of a drum.

... or Castrol GTX Magnatec for $17.88 for a 5-qt jug.. I would personally choose to buy the 5-qt jugs of Magnatec and have the empty jug to pour the old stuff in and drop off at the local AutoZone, and then not have to deal with an empty 55-gal drum.

Originally Posted By: kohnen
Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE

I don't quite understand your math. If you're doing 4 changes per year, for 2 vehicles, for 2 years, that means you're doing a total of 16 oil changes in 2 years.

In order to use up the 55 gallons of oil in 2 years, each oil change would be 3.4375 gallons. (55/16).

I'm wondering if you did the calculations as if it's a 55 quart container.

Possibly...i fugured my truck takes 7qts, the corolla takes 5. that means 48 qts/yr. It would actually be good for about 4 years. Yeah I'll pass.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
That is not a good price for a drum of some off-brand oil.
Check around online. You can do better.
You can also do better buying real oils with MIRs and store deals. There is really no need to buy a drum, but if you do at least do so at a better price for a known-good oil.
Why are you changing both of your four wheelers four times a year each.
Do they do that many miles, or are you one of the stuck on shorter than needed drain guys?

Me and my gf average about 20-25k a year, each. I do 5k oci's on my truck because of the infamous phaser issue on the 5.4 3v's. I do the same on her corolla since she has a lot of idle hours that she puts on the car during her events.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back