keep in your (opposing) lane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
'morning BITOG.

what is so hard to keep in your lane and not waiver over the double continuous lanes into opposite traffic on a 4 lanes?
here, the usual contenders are some school buses, some taxi/livery, semis and big vehicles in general.

and all this time i'm driving the tinny yota yaris sedan....
grrrr.....

and don't get me started about keep in your lane while your front wheel studs are the size used in the war chariots of ben hur movies...
come on , the lines are designed to accommodate a semi with ease...

it must be the luck of vitamin D, cloudy without brain meatballs and crazy-cocko coffee in the morning

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, been one of those eh?

What chafes me is people just moving over when their lane ends. AFAIK it's still considered a lane change for them; but maybe I'm wrong. Still, I hate it when they just go to the end of the lane, then expect everyone to move for them. Just as bad as people merging onto the highway. Actually, some of those guys can be worse--they'll merge at a speed 10 less than you, then want to go 10 faster than you--??? why not just hit the gas in the first place?

It also bugs me when someone will cut across a solid white line so as to pass me on the right when getting off the highway--I'll wait until it goes dashed, then move over.

Too many things to get worked up over on the roadway...

Originally Posted By: supton
Heh, been one of those eh?
they'll merge at a speed 10 less than you, then want to go 10 faster than you--???

try merging at 35 and the traffic is 65+ (with bursts of 80-90)

then some change lanes (2 to 1) exactly when you are merging from ramp to lane 1
or just not move to the left while 4 lanes open to theyr left..

but the opposing lane jumping is till scary when theyr vehicle is bigger than mine....

Last edited:
Sloppy, careless, inept, distracted, stupid, reckless driving?

I never heard of such a thing. Kira

ps Those spikey front lugs on trucks are incredible. Like the " front bullets" on older Cadillacs, they should be illegal.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

here, the usual contenders are some school buses, some taxi/livery, semis and big vehicles in general.

Here, the usual contenders are.......everyone.

But especially gravel trucks.

Racing line on mountain roads with blind corners is absolutely standard procedure here. It beggars belief.

"the lines are designed to accommodate a semi with ease..."

^ "the lines are designed to accommodate a Yaris with ease..." ^

Fixed it for ya

Last edited:
School buses are the worst offenders I see crossing over the yellow line. I've noticed a lot of people wondering over the yellow line and quickly correcting. My guess is that they are on the cell phone not paying attention.

Atleast your car is agile, practice driving onto the shoulder at 55 or 60mph, the last thing you want to do is swerve then fish tail across into the opposing lane and go head on into the guy behind him...
You should do some autocross then you will get some practice swerving at maximum grip inches away from an obstacle at 50-60mph.

Originally Posted By: gman2304

Fixed it for ya

nope, these are new streets enlarged which feeds some of the terminals and industrial areas around O'Hare airport.
They DO FIT VERY EASILY a semi

ESteering is poor on most new cars. Then add garbage strut suspension and soft ,compliant bushings on the lower locating arm pivot point with NO BRAKE force reaction arm ( poor triangulation) and the car is all over the place with a five-degree turn of the wheel.

I merge at least 20 MPH over the interstate speed. I was doing 90 on the on ramp just this morning. Seems many on the road are numb, dumb and ready for slaughter.

Time to cull the herd bout 50%.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Atleast your car is agile, practice driving onto the shoulder at 55 or 60mph, the last thing you want to do is swerve then fish tail across into the opposing lane and go head on into the guy behind him...
You should do some autocross then you will get some practice swerving at maximum grip inches away from an obstacle at 50-60mph.

yep it is agile (newish CS5 shoes on it).
but i'm between opposing traffic lane (no island or divider, just 2 yellow lanes of paint and air), and second lane to the right. no shoulder (regular street 35-40 mph, 4 lanes, no middle/turning lane)

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
ESteering is poor on most new cars. Then add garbage strut suspension and soft ,compliant bushings on the lower locating arm pivot point with NO BRAKE force reaction arm ( poor triangulation) and the car is all over the place with a five-degree turn of the wheel.

I merge at least 20 MPH over the interstate speed. I was doing 90 on the on ramp just this morning. Seems many on the road are numb, dumb and ready for slaughter.

Time to cull the herd bout 50%.

yep you're right.
my problem is very big (full school bus and full 53' semis doing this). and i don't have a lot of space to avoid them to the right.

The trouble today is that a lot of people use their car for activities that don't involve driving. Driving and paying attention is secondary to what they have going on.

Fixed it for ya

maybe on the other hand you wanted to point that I may have a tooth to grind with others on the road/busy streets:
nope
any meeting between any of them and me would mean my little yaris doing a lot of spin around or ping-poing-ing/sandwiched between them and the line to my right.
so i'm humble in traffic (i'm just a little ant, i'm just a little ant...) and use my honk just for real emergencies (after avoiding maneuver finished safely for everybody)/wake up sleepy texters at green light

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Oh bull excrement.
All cars can be well controlled by everyone on the planet, IF they are paying attention to what they are doing with the steering wheel.

Electronic steering is not the cause of people crossing over lines, it's their desire to rummage through their purse, read and write texts on their cellphones, or do countless other things that are not actually part of the task of operating a car on the public roadway that causes them to be distracted, and not keep proper lane discipline while driving.

My wife and I have now owned 5 different vehicles with electric power steering and strut suspension, and not once have we suddenly found ourselves out of control, and sliding into other lanes, and we live in COLORADO with actual mountain roads, that you can drive on for fun, if you so felt inclined.

And I would happily put up both of the cars in my signature that have EPS and strut suspension against both of the cars in your signature for steering response, cornering ability and road feel, all day, every day, in street use, track use, mountain use, etc.

BC.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I think EVERYONE should have to learn some real evasive maneuvers and perhaps some skidpad or track work. And it could be fun!

Police always say that most folks do not use their car's full capability to avoid accidents, they just brake. Learn what your car is capable of, you might surprise yourself...

'nope, these are new streets enlarged which feeds some of the terminals and industrial areas around O'Hare airport.
They DO FIT VERY EASILY a semi'

^ The key words being new and enlarged. Trucks often have to drive on old narrow side streets and secondary roads to make deliveries. The 'interior width' of a modern 53 foot trailer is 102 inches. That's 8 1/2 feet and excludes the thickness of exterior sides. The next time you're following a semi down the road, notice how little room there is between the inside line and the outside line of of the lane it's in. Less than a foot either way and it's out of it's lane and into yours. It takes constant diligence to keep that beast in it's place.

It's distracting to have to stay in your lane when you've got so much more going on. Isn't that why cars have air bags and other gadgets that help you drive your car and insurance for when others get in your way?

I missed a light because the young lady(or more politically correct, a person that has not as yet self declared their gender preference) in the vehicle ahead of me was not done with her smart phone, yet. Several others honked their horns but her response appeared to be that she did in fact get her message competed. When she looked up, she suddenly made her left turn and others joined in with their horns. The left turn light had changed from green to red. She apparently was upset that all this traffic stuff was getting in her way and she had more important things to get done.

'nope, these are new streets enlarged which feeds some of the terminals and industrial areas around O'Hare airport.
They DO FIT VERY EASILY a semi'

^ The key words being new and enlarged. Trucks often have to drive on old narrow side streets and secondary roads to make deliveries. The 'interior width' of a modern 53 foot trailer is 102 inches. That's 8 1/2 feet and excludes the thickness of exterior sides. The next time you're following a semi down the road, notice how little room there is between the inside line and the outside line of of the lane it's in. Less than a foot either way and it's out of it's lane and into yours. It takes constant diligence to keep that beast in it's place.

so i take it you are a trucker and you think i have an axe to grind with truckers/semis being on the road.

nope. wrong answer. large part of my paycheck comes from those truckers delivering to my place of work. and food in my belly...clothees on my back. shoes in my feet. "shoes" on my car.

my axe to grind was from the school busses (remember those yellow BIG things capable to take a hit from a loaded semi)
and semis/half trucks [b]which do not control[/b] their vehicles and cross over the double yellow line and into my lane, while they have a full width lane available.
again, i'm a small vehicle comparing with them. they will just get a scratch. i will get a total vehicle or worse.

This just in: It's too easy to get a Drivers License in this Country. As a result there are a lot of distracted or just plan bad drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back