Truck / SUV tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are aggressive (non severe snow rated) A/T tires any better then a top quality all season tire in the snow on a SUV or light truck?

I'd expect better performance. However, my understanding is that it's the siping that matters for ice. Ice traction is what worries most in our climate--black ice being hard to spot and all. It's tempting to compromise ice traction for snow traction, since we (at least up here in NH) seem to get more snow than ice conditions--but IMO it really should be the other way around.

I found my LTX MS2's to be awful in snow, so I went with cheapie snows (Hankook iPikes). Very happy on a light-rear end pickup. A more tail-heavy SUV might do better, but still.

My Goodyear Wrangler Adventure are fairly aggressive as far as road/all terrains go. They were stellar in deep snow (even though they aren't snow rated). but in lighter snow/ice, not so good. the siping just isnt that great. I still managed OK since the 4x4 is pretty great on the jeep, and snow mode changes alot of aspects that keep things in check.

On my older jeep, I have more of a light truck tire, in the Michelin LTX MS2. They seemed to do better in the lighter stuff.

Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor - premier GY with the DuPont Kevlar ...
Lots of reviews of folks who don't swap for winter ...

I got 60k from my last set of 265's ... Still had tread when I swapped them ...

Depends on what your driving and where you're driving. If you're in the market for a truck tire that will handle tough roads and still give you a decent ride I would go with the Firestone Destination ATs. Solid tire. I have also heard good things about the General HTS. More of a highway tire but also offers good traction in tougher conditions.

I never really found them to be much better, I run all terrains 3 seasons of the year and dedicated snow tires in the winter months in Michigan. Too many trade-offs with aggressive tread AT's. What may be good in deep snow can work to your disadvantage in light snow with slush or ice underneath it. Sipes help more on ice and slush than anything. A narrow tread also helps putting more pounds per square inch of the vehicles weight to the ground as well.

It really depends. Some AT tires like the Duratrac, Discoverer AT3 and Grabber AT2 are excellent in the snow. I've always been amazed at the performance of the unstudded Duratrac in the ice.

I still don't think you can beat a proper snow tire, but some ATs come darn close

Originally Posted By: Miller88
It really depends. Some AT tires like the Duratrac, Discoverer AT3 and Grabber AT2 are excellent in the snow. I've always been amazed at the performance of the unstudded Duratrac in the ice.

I still don't think you can beat a proper snow tire, but some ATs come darn close

I bet many of the AT tires that have a decent amount of sipes would pass the the snowflake test. Some do carry the snowflake symbol and a few only have the snow flake in particular sizes?
I have multimile xtx sports on the CRV with the plan to run them year round. Obviously they will excel in deep snow and I like the square edge to dig in once they get some slip angle going. Ice is the real concern, hopefully they do well as the tread compound is soft atleast.

I must be picky or something, but I didn't like MS2's in snow. Not on my pickup. Which has like zip for weight in the rear. Once the rear wanted to kick out, it felt like game over. I have a tough time recommending those for a pickup in snow, period. I understand that most will just put it into 4WD, which greatly tames it--but I just felt like it was asking for trouble. Maybe I've just driven FWD for too long.

OP asked about SUV or truck. YMMV if it's an SUV or a truck.

I have had Firestone Destination A/T on two of my previous vehicles and loved them. They were quiet on road and were unstoppable in the snow and ice. I have buddy who tried the General Grabbers and dumped them after one season for the Firestones when he almost got stuck in his own driveway.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Are aggressive (non severe snow rated) A/T tires any better then a top quality all season tire in the snow on a SUV or light truck?

Nope. Compound is different and that is what really matters.

As mentionned above, no matter how agressive the thread or amount of siping,
it's the rubber compound makes the most difference in the cold.

There are many 'cheapo' winter tires that don't perform well at all because the rubber used is too hard.

In my experience, even by 10°C / 50°F you can start feeling the difference when a harder tire just won't stick as well.

Last edited:
I don't think the question was what is best. I think we all can agree a dedicated winter tire is the best answer.

The question was whether an AT tire can be better than an all season tire. In my experience, yes, they were better if you selected an all terrain tire with decent snow traction. When I had a 2WD truck, I often ran A/T tires in the winter for better winter traction with the benefit I could run them year around.

In terms of current AT tires, the Firestone Destination AT is one that we've had good service in fleet use and I liked them on my previous truck, though I still ran dedicated winter tires on that one. They work fine on our fleet though...

You need to judge each individual tire. The Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor has both a great compound and tread pattern. I just put a set on my work truck for the winter.

The second best from my experience is the General Grabber AT2. I've had those on two personal vehicles (including a Subaru!) and they did very well.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
I don't think the question was what is best. I think we all can agree a dedicated winter tire is the best answer.

The question was whether an AT tire can be better than an all season tire. In my experience, yes, they were better if you selected an all terrain tire with decent snow traction. When I had a 2WD truck, I often ran A/T tires in the winter for better winter traction with the benefit I could run them year around.

In terms of current AT tires, the Firestone Destination AT is one that we've had good service in fleet use and I liked them on my previous truck, though I still ran dedicated winter tires on that one. They work fine on our fleet though...

Everyone is talking about moving forward. Compare that A/T tire with decent AS tire in braking in snow and you will see why compound is important.
This kind of narrative is why when snow hits Colorado most vehicles in the ditch are pickups, JEEP's etc.

Sigh...

The question was not are winter tires better? They are.

The question was are All-Terrain tires better than top rated all season tires in winter snow and ice.

I'll leave it at that, not worth arguing about it.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Sigh...

The question was not are winter tires better? They are.

The question was are All-Terrain tires better than top rated all season tires in winter snow and ice.

I'll leave it at that, not worth arguing about it.

And I know, and again, AS tire has better compound when it comes to braking in snow.
A/T tire has compound that is primarily made for variety of terrains including off-road, and it is much harder. Going forward in 4x4 is not problem with A/T tire. Stopping on other hand is different story. Questions is: what is more important in winter: braking or moving forward?
Personally I think AS tires are biggest scam considering they are compromise, but still better in cold, snow, ice then A/T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back