What is the benefit to cutting open a filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Skanky
Four reasons
look for particles and sludge
filter failure (never yet)
Make me feel good about that $49 cutter hanging on the wall
Cause I fly my cars like airplanes!!!!
Ah yes, the $49 cutter hanging on the wall. Or in the tool box or maybe the cabinet. No matter. We like to say hello to that tool we really don't need but drool over once or twice a year. I'm almost certain the person who cleans out our garage for the big estate auction isn't going to have a clue as to that tool's intended use. No matter.

Not listening to the news. I guess it's still possible to listen while cutting, but best to cut in quiet. The insides can be gone over for possible defects in manufacturing, and it also visualizes how much dirt it caught and how the valve looks.

Last year I went 20,000 miles on a cartridge style fram ultra . It was in for 5,000 miles of the previous oil change and the entire last 15,000 miles oil change. A used oil analysis said the oil was still good and wear metals were low (16 ppm iron). If I only had that information, I may have thought of going that far again, but I found a lot of carbon/sludge in the filter. This tells me shorten the OCI. If I had not been able to see the filter, I would not have been aware of these deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back