Tire replacement cost...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you know I am tire shopping, they shop I have been chatting with has given me quotes on various tires and the tire that makes the most since to me is the Pirelli P7 Centurato 17". This is probably what I am going to go with. I can get other brands for less but they aren't THAT much less. I was quoted $800 installed for the Pirellis. It this a fair price? I don't want to get hosed. Keep in mind these tires are around $150 per tire.

High prices due to larger wheels, low profile, and a higher end tire. After rebates I got my General altimax RT43 tires for my Camry last year for $218 OTD at Discount Tire.

I'm guessing you haven't used Discount Tire before.

IMO, customer service can't get better with them. They'll beat anybody's prices too. Also, they always have a Black Friday sale, with rebates. Below is a link to last year's sale. It's almost always the same deals.

Lifetime rotations and balancing, doesn't matter if you buy the warranties. They rotate and balance without question. They'd also own up to any wheel damage if it were to happen.

Link to DT

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
High prices due to larger wheels, low profile, and a higher end tire. After rebates I got my General altimax RT43 tires for my Camry last year for $218 OTD at Discount Tire.

IMO, customer service can't get better with them. They'll beat anybody's prices too. Also, they always have a Black Friday sale, with rebates. Below is a link to last year's sale. It's almost always the same deals.

Lifetime rotations and balancing, doesn't matter if you buy the warranties. They rotate and balance without question. They'd also own up to any wheel damage if it were to happen.

Link to DT

Just checked discount tire and not a substantial savings.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Link to DT

No really, they'll match anyone.

Also, don't you pay for rotations? Free free free...

Also, if you happened to have a tire problem like user Ivebeenrued had, you'd have no issues getting the problem solved, where he went to a no-name shop and can't hardly do anything about it.

Link to DT

Also, if you happened to have a tire problem like user Ivebeenrued had, you'd have no issues getting the problem solved, where he went to a no-name shop and can't hardly do anything about it.

I find it hard to believe that a large chain would treat their customers as well as a local indy. I hold you in high regard Nick, so Im not questioning your experience with DT. I just find it hard to believe they would all be like that. Plus I do believe the shop I am looking at purchasing through does free balance and rotations as well.

Nick, just read some reviews on my local DT...very positive! Ill have to give this place a second look.

I'm in there all the time. So is my family members. Countless sets of tires. They do all of my rotations and everyone else's. I take my mom's car in there, both of my grandmother's cars, my grandfather's, my aunt's, my dad goes there, my brother goes there. My 97' Camry went there, the Beetle got 2 sets of tires and countless rotations, my truck went there, just got 2 new tires for my Camry there this past month. I've literally been in there at LEAST 13-14 times this year. Getting family member's cars tires. Also had to chase down a defective General tire replaced on the Camry, then got a screw in the sidewall of another one.

But if a local shop does do free rotations, that might be alright.

I'm not one to brag about a chain store. I'm the last person to take my car to a Jiffy Lube or one of those places too.

I'm also not affiliated to Discount Tire in any way.

You're not going to get hosed on the price. No matter where you go, your out the door price is going to be about the same as anywhere else. Buy from a reputable shop that provides good service, free no hassle rotations, and all of the other free niceties. A smiling face and a good cup of coffee go a long way. For me, that is a local shop called Little Tire. They do great work, with great service. Better than anything Discount or Big O, or any other chain can offer.

I will throw in the 2cents that you get what you pay for in terms of "free" lifetime rotations.
Every chain I've been to that offers this ends up having a 3-4 hour turnaround time to get taken care of.
You are guarenteed that since they're not getting any money from you they're looking to do this as cheap as possible; i.e. you get the unmotivated high school dropout kid rotating your tires with minimum care.

I've since switched to an independent who does charge $15 for rotations; or only free with other wheel related service (e.g. brakes) or discounted with an oil change for example. but for this payment you get an appointment and in and out of there quickly.
I suppose I am of the camp where I believe the benefits of frequent tire rotation are slight but that is a different thread.

Last edited:
I buy from DT often - but my first rotation is done at my Goodyear where experienced guys that take pride in thier work will laugh and rebalance the tires. After that, eat breakfast at Denny's while DT rotates the tires. 3rd time - I want to do myself and look at brakes and more (Goodyear always does, that is potentially work for them).

I will say that I have had excellent service at Discount Tire and I take advantage of the free tire rotation and balance every 5,000 miles on all three of my cars. The longest I have ever had to wait is 45 mins on a busy Saturday. The great thing about Discount Tire is that no matter what city I am in I can take the cars to any Discount Tire for this free service. I have recently considered purchasing a set of Tires at my local Costco as they now fill the tires with Nitrogen but I am just hesitant because I have gotten such great service from Discount.

Honestly I'm after the best price. I don't want the free rotations, I do my own. I'd rather not tie the car up for half a day because cash paying customers are going to be treated before the free rotation customers. Then after my last experience with Mavis F'in up my center caps, and trying to hard sell me ball joints on a van with king pins, the less someone touches my vehicles the better. But after reading this thread I might give Discount Tire a shot.
wink.gif

DT/Discount Tire is very nice. All they do is tires. Most other tire shops want to upsell unneeded services. Even their free air pressure checks are nice because they program the exact tire pressure amount in each tire. Free flat repair for anyone. They even clean the hub when doing tire rotations.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
I will throw in the 2cents that you get what you pay for in terms of "free" lifetime rotations.
Every chain I've been to that offers this ends up having a 3-4 hour turnaround time to get taken care of.
You are guarenteed that since they're not getting any money from you they're looking to do this as cheap as possible; i.e. you get the unmotivated high school dropout kid rotating your tires with minimum care.

I've since switched to an independent who does charge $15 for rotations; or only free with other wheel related service (e.g. brakes) or discounted with an oil change for example. but for this payment you get an appointment and in and out of there quickly.
I suppose I am of the camp where I believe the benefits of frequent tire rotation are slight but that is a different thread.

not at costco
first come first served, tire rotationa and balance in about 1 hour

As some of you know I am tire shopping, they shop I have been chatting with has given me quotes on various tires and the tire that makes the most since to me is the Pirelli P7 Centurato 17". This is probably what I am going to go with. I can get other brands for less but they aren't THAT much less. I was quoted $800 installed for the Pirellis. It this a fair price? I don't want to get hosed. Keep in mind these tires are around $150 per tire.

$200 for install? Sounds pricey to me.

Looking at tirerack, the 94V is about $150, but for the same size, there's the 98H XL that is $215 (make sure the shop does not order that).

Check out the prices for the Pirelli P7 on discounttitresdirect.com. They are often less than the quoted prices at the tire shops and they have free shipping. But I found that most tire shops will match their tire prices. I'm guessing the Independent shop you're looking at using will also match their prices. This way you're only shopping the installation costs which is much easier to compare among different shops.

Good luck.

As mentioned, DT is generally known for good prices and great service and they're very good about matching and beating prices.

Their very best deals are if you wait for one of their holiday sales and combine it with a rebate for using a DT card. If there's also a temporary manufacturer rebate at the same time, then you're getting into really amazing deals in some cases.

I've learned to make an appointment on Discount Tire's website before going in. I did this when I took my grandmother's van in for new tires that I brought in that I ordered on DTD. 3 people were ahead of me in line, 2 were buying new sets of tires. They were told there was a 1-1/2 - 2 hour wait (busy day) and when I got up there I was told 45 minutes, because of my appointment. But I was out of there sooner than that.

Link to DT

I find it hard to believe that a large chain would treat their customers as well as a local indy. I hold you in high regard Nick, so Im not questioning your experience with DT. I just find it hard to believe they would all be like that. Plus I do believe the shop I am looking at purchasing through does free balance and rotations as well.

Their work is okay but they are a high volume production shop. Employees are always running around (and rushing) and their technical knowledge is limited. I haven't had any issues myself but keep in mind that it is one of those places.

My recommendation is to take a car there that you don't care about. Evaluate your experience and then make the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back