Odd noise in Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove home from a church meeting last night and the driver front sounded like I was dragging a metal rebar along the pavement. Stopped and looked and nothing was hanging from the vehicle. The noise did vary a little while driving. No noise with engine on vehicle stopped.

Subaru cleaned the calipers and replaced the front pads a week ago. Stepping on the brake did not make it better or worse (beyond what slowing the engine would do).

Vehicle is under warranty.

Do I call and have it towed or spend some time figuring it out.

Limited daylight in the evening these days.

Could be a bad wheel bearing. I managed to catch two on separate times on a Chevy HHR. Call your support and probably get it hauled in.
Good luck

You sure you didn't catch a rock between the pad and rotor? Boy the sound that makes will have you changing your underwear if you aren't expecting it.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
You sure you didn't catch a rock between the pad and rotor? Boy the sound that makes will have you changing your underwear if you aren't expecting it.

After the brakes are used a few times following brake work, the pads are almost touching the rotor when the brake pedal is off. Not a lot of room for a rock to slide in there and cause trouble. And it did not get worse with brakes applied.

sounds like the "techs" misassembled the brakes. Of course the tech left off a few bolts holding the underside tray on to the chassis after performing a trans/diff fluid R&R.

check your oil level, you could have stuck a chain tensioner.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

After the brakes are used a few times following brake work, the pads are almost touching the rotor when the brake pedal is off. Not a lot of room for a rock to slide in there and cause trouble. And it did not get worse with brakes applied.

Sorry I said the wrong thing.

Eddie asked the right thing - maybe there is a rock between the rotor and the splash plate. Easy spot for a rock to hang around and make all sorts of terrible noises.

My sisters 2015 Forester did this at 3 months old. She has about 1 mile of gravel road to drive before getting home.
Brought it back to dealer, they found a rock between rotor and backing plate, no charge.

I did not drive the car until tonight and the noise was not there. The only thing I heard tonight sounded like a twig rubbing on the wheel and it would come and go and I heard it on both sides.

If the noise last night was a 10, today's noise was a 1.

Perplexed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back