1.6 ecoboost oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My aunt has a 2013 escape with the 1.6 ecoboost, she asked me to change her oil, which I will do tomorrow. She picked up some PYB 5W20 and a Napa Gold 1348. PYB 5W20 meets the Ford WSS-M2C945-A spec that this engine requires, should the PYB be ok to use or should I get some synthetic oil?

Based on how long she wants to go between oil changes. Using synthetic oil and going longer in OCI (say 7,500 miles) can be the same price per mile or even less as opposed to using conventional oil and going 4,000 miles.

As long as it meets the Ford spec it's fine. My Ecoboost, now at 103k has spent most of its life on regular old oil.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
My aunt has a 2013 escape with the 1.6 ecoboost, she asked me to change her oil, which I will do tomorrow. She picked up some PYB 5W20 and a Napa Gold 1348. PYB 5W20 meets the Ford WSS-M2C945-A spec that this engine requires, should the PYB be ok to use or should I get some synthetic oil?
What would make syn oils a better choice?

Turbo bearing would love synthetic oil... Oil hoses around turbo too (less posibility that they get clogged with synthetic oil)

Originally Posted By: itguy08
As long as it meets the Ford spec it's fine. My Ecoboost, now at 103k has spent most of its life on regular old oil.

+1

Do you do filter cut 'n posts here on BITOG?

Originally Posted By: CT8

I'm not a 'synthetic only' guy but in a turbo engine I would use synthetic to combat the high heat......

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: CT8

I'm not a 'synthetic only' guy but in a turbo engine I would use synthetic to combat the high heat......

It meets the ford spec. Why would it not be able to handle the heat required by the spec yet still pass the spec?

She already bought the oil, it meets Ford's specs. Don't burn too many calories over this.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Do you do filter cut 'n posts here on BITOG?

Is his experience disqualified if he doesn't do cut 'n posts?

It's very likely that PYB is a syn-blend anyways so I wouldn't worry about it for 5K or less. Pretty much all 5W-20 "conventionals" have to be syn-blends in order to make spec's. But we know Pennzoil isn't shy about blending Group III in with II...

ILSAC GF5 was specifically formulated for turbo.

Most syn you buy in U.S of A. will be semi-syn at BEST. So you are just buying a "premium" mineral oil.

Me, Id run a good ACEA A5,B5 at minimum. Best would be a MB229.5X.

1.6L engine in a 4000lb GVWR vehicle!

Big assumption here but i doubt his Aunt is tracking this vehicle down the Thunder Road Raceway Park in Gillam, LA. Anything meeting spec will be fine. Nothing wrong with using synthetics if you want to, but it isn't necessary OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back