2016 5.3 ecotec oil suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there

I'm going to be moving out of state, back to central new york... having to sell my volkswagen (many tears). With that being said.... will be getting a new truck for the weather/environment.

Looking at the new silverado or GMC with the 5.3 ecotec..... I know the 5.3 is new engine design features and has special oil requirements.

I've read GM recommends 0w20 oil on a v8, blows my mind. I'm certain has to do with fuel consumption and to get max out of it.

Can I run a 5w20 oil that is more commonly avail?

I'm looking at running either:

Kendall 5w20 syn blend
or
Mag1 5w20 full syn

I'm sure I could even run PP or M1 EP oil...

Thoughts?

PS: I know its rather premature to ask.. considering I'll have free oil changes for quite awhile. But like to stock up
smile.gif

5w20 will probably work just fine, but 0w20 is so widely available that there's no reason to do so, as the 0w20's are usually better than the 5w20.

Kendall is Motorcraft, both made by COP.

Mag1 full synthetic is also good stuff, and it even comes in clear bottles
smile.gif

But I'd use the cheapest synthetic on sale and run it to the OLM's suggested intervals. Napa Synthetic often goes on sale for $3-4/qt. It is rebranded Synpower.

Gotcha! Yeah I was aware Kendall made by COP, definitely underrated oil. Same can be said for Mag1 (Warren).

I guess its me being paranoid, I drive my vehicles hard. Especially my current VW (k04 upgrade, full bolt on...etc)

You can use any oil that has the dexos cert. Both will do just fine. If I had to choose between the two I would go with the full syn.

Question, how many free oil changes do you get? Last I checked it was only 2. I think 2016 they went from 4 to two.

If you can run 0w20,it's brand new and it's in central New York, why would you want to run a 5w20?

Afraid it's going to leak out because it's a 0w?

Afraid it can't handle towing and truck stuff because it's not a heavy duty 15w40?

I could see the logic behind doing lots of heavy towing and moving up to a 0w30 but not the anxiety of giving it worse cold weather performance but still having a 20 weight oil.

Originally Posted By: ntoxicator
Hey there

I'm going to be moving out of state, back to central new york... having to sell my volkswagen (many tears). With that being said.... will be getting a new truck for the weather/environment.

Looking at the new silverado or GMC with the 5.3 ecotec..... I know the 5.3 is new engine design features and has special oil requirements.

I've read GM recommends 0w20 oil on a v8, blows my mind. I'm certain has to do with fuel consumption and to get max out of it.

Kendall 5w20 syn blend
or
Mag1 5w20 full syn

Thoughts?

PS: I know its rather premature to ask.. considering I'll have free oil changes for quite awhile. But like to stock up
smile.gif

That's not how 0w-20 works, friend. It's still a 20 weight, it just has better cold flow/pumpability and get to top end of your motor quicker on cold start. Ow-20 is better than 5w-20.

That's a great engine and Dexos pedigree comes in plenty good flavors that will get you xxx,000 miles from that mill ...

Why is a truck needed they are the worst vehicle for on road winter conditions.

Consider winter tires/wheels for your current vehicle..

Current vehicle is lowered, coilovers and summer performance sticky tires.

I would have to tweak car suspension and change tires/wheel combo for winter driving, etc. But moot point!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
5w20 will probably work just fine, but 0w20 is so widely available that there's no reason to do so, as the 0w20's are usually better than the 5w20.

Kendall is Motorcraft, both made by COP.

Mag1 full synthetic is also good stuff, and it even comes in clear bottles
smile.gif

But I'd use the cheapest synthetic on sale and run it to the OLM's suggested intervals. Napa Synthetic often goes on sale for $3-4/qt. It is rebranded Synpower.

Just because it's made by Valvoline Doesn't mean it's rebranded synpower.

I also chose Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE, because I feel that the additive package is least likely to increase LSPI (low speed pre inginition) events.

If you're buying new you should get 24 months free maintenance from GM. Go by the OLM and take the "included" oil changes until after 24k miles and then run any dexos 0w20.

It's a GM truck in Central New York. It will rust in half before it quits running as long as it is even remotely maintained.

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif
Its a budget oil designed by Valvoline. I think on Valvolines website faq they say they do use PAO in their oil.Napa Synthetic does not. Its more likely VWB hydrocracked and that is it.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
thumbsup2.gif
Its a budget oil designed by Valvoline. I think on Valvolines website faq they say they do use PAO in their oil.Napa Synthetic does not. Its more likely VWB hydrocracked and that is it.

You might be right.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Why is a truck needed they are the worst vehicle for on road winter conditions.

Consider winter tires/wheels for your current vehicle..

Try that in my area and I will come down the road and pull you out with my 3/4 ton. With the drifts I get in my area, along with rural roads getting the hind tit for cleaning, most folks don't get around too well with a car and the best winter tires made. Might be the worse vehicle in winter for typical city driving, but there is a lot more of the country that doesn't have a city, or a small town, in sight.

Hey there

Kendall 5w20 syn blend
or
Mag1 5w20 full syn

Thoughts?

smile.gif

It's news to me that 0W-20 isn't commonly available (check the local Wal-Mart). Just keep your 100,000 warranty intact and use a quality syn like Mobil 1 AFE or EP 0W-20 using rebates. What do you think you gain by using a 5W-20?

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Hey there

Kendall 5w20 syn blend
or
Mag1 5w20 full syn

Thoughts?

smile.gif

It's news to me that 0W-20 isn't commonly available (check the local Wal-Mart). Just keep your 100,000 warranty intact and use a quality syn like Mobil 1 AFE or EP 0W-20 using rebates. What do you think you gain by using a 5W-20?

+1

Ive been running 0W20 or 5W20 in mine since 1200 miles when I changed the factory fill out. Currently I have M1 EP 5W20 in there and its no different than the PP 5W20 or 0W20 I ran before that. I'm most likely relocating from FL to ID in a few months so I'm sure the 0W20 will make me sleep better than the 5W20! Enjoy that truck, Love mine so far no issues at all. 18K miles

You must choose, But choose wisely

Other than having a laugh at GM dubbing a honking V-8 "ecotec", I'd run what the manufacturer recommends without worry.
If I were looking for a 0W-20 grade oil ATM, M1 AFE would be hard to beat for price, performance and availability.
Now, if the truck is really used like a truck, as few are, then a thirty or even forty grade might be more appropriate especially for hot weather hard use.
Still, the engine will likely be the last thing to die if you run a 0W-20 and change it per the IOLM for the life of the truck.
Remember also that this V-8 has lower specific output than do many engines for which 0W-20 is the recommended grade. For example, if this Chevy had the specific output of our '12 Accord, it would make about 410 bhp. You already know that it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back