Oil recommendation for Predator 212cc OHV - Gokart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, Im a new member but a long time reader.

New Predator 212cc. OHV. 6.5hp.

Some breather mods, rejet, lightweight flywheel, stiffer springs and governor removed puts it at about 9-10hp and up to 5000 rpms.

Future mods would be shave head for higher compression ratio and more aggressive cam. So maybe 12-14hp and up to 7000 rpms.

Its installed with a torque converter on a tractor style gokart i made. It gets ripped around on the culdesac with the kids and used as a pit vehicle when i go to the race track. Looks like it will get 20-30 hours of run a year.

Temp used in will be 40-100°F. Planning on ripping it around in winter too but my garage is heated so oil will be no less than 40°F.

0-3 hours was Supertech 10w30 (blue bottle)
3-12 hours is same.

2 things that worry me. Sump holds just 0.5 quarts and being a flat tappet cam with stiffer springs.

Factory recommends 10w30 but thats for ungoverned motor that barely sees 3500 rpms.

I know i need high zddp and possibly a synthetic.

What oil should i use to change once a year with my use?

I've been running T5 10W30 in my Predator 13 HP (retrofitted a log splitter), zero issues so far. Oh, and,
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I've been running T5 10W30 in my Predator 13 HP (retrofitted a log splitter), zero issues so far. Oh, and,
welcome2.gif

welcome as well! T5 sounds like a good choice to me!

I'm not a huge believer in overkill when it comes to small engines. They use so little oil that it's not like you're emptying the bank account to fill them.

All of my small engines have Schaeffer Supreme or VR1 synthetic in them. I have this rig that that funnels the leftover oil out of old containers into another container. Any leftovers from fills of high performance boats from my business end up in the crankcases of my small engines.

But even if I didn't have that, and actually had to buy oil at retail, it would still cost me nickels to do top-tier fills.

My girl's big-bore 49/72cc scooter loves Schaeffer Supreme. Runs measurable cooler than other oils.

Originally Posted By: Serge
Thoughts on something like M1 HM 5w20 or Redline 20wt for a little horsepower boost?
I'd be little scared to run a 5W20 in a Predator, can't believe the clearances are all that tight, but Redline straight 20 could probably handle it.

I built a 212cc predator for a friend's go-kart. I run Rotella T6 5w40 and it has been great.

-removed governor
-lighter billet flywheel with timing advance
-stiffer valve springs
-bigger cam
-bigger carb jet
-exhaust header/air filter mods
-ARC billet connecting rod

The thing really screams and gets quite hot when run at full throttle for a few hours. I'd strongly recommend a heavy duty engine oil like Rotella.

I guess someone is guessing on prices of oil... the AMSOIL for Briggs engines retails for only $14.99 so now you can adjust your guessing. Preferred customers get it for $10.

Originally Posted By: Serge
Originally Posted By: Click
Consider a specialty synthetic that AMSOIL makes for your sport

Yeah but $20 for a quart of oil on a $94 new motor is over kill, dont you think?

Although i'm sure it's great stuff. Not a chance i'd put something that expensive in there with so many other great oils available at a substantial savings. Not a chance.

I run the Rotella T6 for the zinc content in my snowblower. It's quieter running and starts right up with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back