Had to have it, M&P Compact 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped by the Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday just to browse and ended up with this. I had been wanting a 22 pistol that would eat most any ammo but was waiting for all the hoarders to run out of storage room and stop the insanity. Originally considered both the M&P and SR22 but, after buying a Shield 9 last month, this was the obvious choice.

34is7ya.jpg

Originally Posted By: Al
Why? Bigger and more expensive than a LC9 s and no teeth??

Because 22 is great fun. The price difference between it and a 9mm will be gone after the first few boxes of ammo purchased... I've seen some reviews of Ruger's new Mark IV and I have "the itch". I had a Ruger 22/45 Lite some years ago and sold it. Shouldn't have.

I also own a Shield 9, and really like the M&P 22. How close is it in size to the Shield? I hear it's very similar.

I don't like the feel of the Ruger in my hand, not much fun to shoot, only comes with one mag and has a terrible trigger pull. Doesn't sound like you've ever held or shot an M&P Shield or you wouldn't have mentioned a Ruger.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Because 22 is great fun. The price difference between it and a 9mm will be gone after the first few boxes of ammo purchased... I've seen some reviews of Ruger's new Mark IV and I have "the itch". I had a Ruger 22/45 Lite some years ago and sold it. Shouldn't have.

I also own a Shield 9, and really like the M&P 22. How close is it in size to the Shield? I hear it's very similar.

Real close in size but the 22 is larger. Feel is identical in the hand and with the trigger pull. The Shield 45 is next on my list
20.gif
can't wait.

2jcepfd.jpg

2hev90m.jpg

Originally Posted By: funflyer

I don't like the feel of the Ruger in my hand, not much fun to shoot, only comes with one mag and has a terrible trigger pull. Doesn't sound like you've ever held or shot an M&P Shield or you wouldn't have mentioned a Ruger.

Ummm..I own a M&P 9mm Shield. Obviously either you have never shot a LC9-S. Or you don't know much about handguns....or...you have only shot a LC9 The LC9 does have the worst trigger on the Planet.

I don't like the feel of the Ruger in my hand, not much fun to shoot, only comes with one mag and has a terrible trigger pull.

As a fellow Shield owner, I would highly encourage you to go check out a Ruger LC9s, the striker-fired version. The older hammer-fired LC9 had a very stiff trigger, but the LC9s' trigger pull is like pulling a hot knife through warm butter. It's still a long self-defense trigger, but it's actually quite light for its type (about 5 pounds I think) and it's OH. SO. SMOOTH.

Try one. Really. I don't own one because I can't justify another single stack 9mm, but I think it's very competitive with the Shield. Most will say the LC9s has the better trigger. I'd agree.

Ummm..I own a M&P 9mm Shield. Obviously either you have never shot a LC9-S. Or you don't know much about handguns....or...you have only shot a LC9 The LC9 does have the worst trigger on the Planet.

Wondered if you actually read my first post, that's why I added the mock comment about the LC9s trigger just to see. Ruger did get it right on the third attempt, at least with the pro but I still don't like the grip as it's too small. My point was that I already own a 9mil Shield noted in my first post so that's why I got a 22 compact.

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
what is a good price on a .22 Shield?

Such an animal does not exist. The Shield is produced only in 9mm, .40S&W, and, just recently now, .45ACP. The M&P .22 Compact in this thread is similar in size to the Shield, as is part of the M&P family, but it's not a Shield model.

I'd say a good price for an M&P .22 Compact would be anything south of $300. That will vary with location.

All of my "go-to" handguns are from the S&W line. They make a platform that fits every need, with only 1 manual of arms. Curious how the .22 compact does, OP

Originally Posted By: Ws6
All of my "go-to" handguns are from the S&W line. They make a platform that fits every need, with only 1 manual of arms. Curious how the .22 compact does, OP

The single manual of arms is an excellent point...

In my safe are:

Striker fired with manual safety
- Walther CCP
Striker fired
- Glock 17
- Glock 19
- Glock 19
- Glock 20
- Glock 23
DA only (no safety, trigger guard magazine release)
- H&K USP Compact
DA/SA slide mounted safety
- Beretta 92
- S&W 5906
SA revolver
- Ruger single six

And when I add a 1911, or a double action revolver, it'll just keep getting more complicated! Which makes life interesting and shooting fun, but if you were to be focused on defensive, or even competition, use - a single manual of arms would be in your best interest...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
if you were to be focused on defensive, or even competition, use - a single manual of arms would be in your best interest...

Yea..that's where I pretty much am. Only shoot those I carry: LPC (Summer). LC9 s/Glock 43 (Winter). When I am comfortable with the LC9 reliability, I won't shoot the Shield and 43 much at all.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Ws6

The single manual of arms is an excellent point...

In my safe are:

Striker fired with manual safety
- Walther CCP
Striker fired
- Glock 17
- Glock 19
- Glock 19
- Glock 20
- Glock 23
DA only (no safety, trigger guard magazine release)
- H&K USP Compact
DA/SA slide mounted safety
- Beretta 92
- S&W 5906
SA revolver
- Ruger single six

And when I add a 1911, or a double action revolver, it'll just keep getting more complicated! Which makes life interesting and shooting fun, but if you were to be focused on defensive, or even competition, use - a single manual of arms would be in your best interest...

Yep. I keep all my go-to weapons in the same family. M&P pistols, AR carbines. That's it. Sure, I have "fun toys", but the weapons that I will count on, all work the same as each other, with the same controls, etc. Variety may be the spice of life, but routine is how I want the tool I reach for to be, when it's life or death, or even just a "need to kill that coyote FAST before it gets away/another chicken or pet".

Are there better pistols than the M&P? Sure, I think so. The M&P line solves my problems though, and offers me a suppressed .22, a full-size 9mm, and a sub-compact 9mm. It covers it.
Are there better light caliber carbines than the AR platform? I honestly do not think so, or I would use them.

Last edited:
There are certainly better platforms than the AR(merits of the design alone). However, those alternative platforms are often excessively expensive, have poor aftermarket support, and therefore are not cost effective. While they do offer better performance, it is not significant enough to justify the cost.

So for the average joe....it probably is the best platform in a "bang for your buck" kind of way. That is why the six decade old platform soldiers on...its serviceable at a good price point.

Also have the 9mm Shield. I'd like to add that M&P Compact 22 but 22 ammo is limited here when any is on the shelf, but seems lately I go to the few places I hit the shelves are empty of 22LR.
I have other 22s and plenty of 22LR and 22WMR ammo, but have to back off buying any more 22 guns the way thing been going. Don't want my 22 ammo stash to dwindle down to much.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Also have the 9mm Shield. I'd like to add that M&P Compact 22 but 22 ammo is limited here when any is on the shelf, but seems lately I go to the few places I hit the shelves are empty of 22LR.
I have other 22s and plenty of 22LR and 22WMR ammo, but have to back off buying any more 22 guns the way thing been going. Don't want my 22 ammo stash to dwindle down to much.

Out here in Arizona we've got 22LR just about everywhere except Walmart. Mostly in 100 round packs but larger quantities are starting to become stocked again. I plan on consuming a brick or two this Saturday between the new M&P and my trusty 10/22. I'm just worried that after November the paranoia induced hoarding will start again.

I suspect the buying frenzy will begin in earnest after Hillary gets elected (not being political, just realistic, I think she has the better chance). She has made her anti-gun position clear: she wants to look at Australian style confiscation. Whether she can accomplish that, or not, is a separate matter. The perception will be there and demand will spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back