How do you get under your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your preferred methods? Jack stands, wheel ramps, something else? I'd like to start changing the oil on my wife's 2011 Accord, but can't access the drain plug or filter. I can easily slide under my own 4Runner to get to both. My driveway has a small slope, and I am most concerned about safety and stability while under the Accord.

Thanks,

I use Scepter ramps I bought on Amazon...Rhinos are a lot more common. Also have chocks for the rears.
I could change my oil without the ramps, but it's a lot more comfortable with them.

I have Rhino ramps. I can just barely change the oil on my Camry with it on the ground and a flex-head ratchet to reach the drain plug.

When I work on the transfer case on my Rav4, I use the ramps and throw a jack stand under for extra peace of mind.

I have some old metal ramps I used on my vehicles. Then one day I bought my Versa Note. Hmmm, I had problems getting the car up on those ramps. The front bumper kept hitting the ramp before the wheels where on the ramp. Now I could jack it up and put the jack stands under there but I like the ability to just drive up ramps. So I bought some 2x8 lumber at Lowes. Cut, glued and screwed them together in such a way that I had a ramp that my front bumper on the Versa Note would not hit on the ramp as it began the upward crawl onto each step of the ramp. The ramp was cut and assembled to go up on four steps. I might add a fifth to get it up just a tad higher. I also put a small block at the end of the ramp to act as a stop so I don't drive off the other end of it. This has worked out very well as a ramp.

use my friends lift
smile.gif

I can slide under the Rubicon w/o ramps or a jack. I use Rhino ramps for the Liberty, and a jack and stands for the E-150.

I use the slope on my driveway to get the cars closer to level when they are on the ramps. With the parking brake engaged and the drive wheels stopped its no more dangerous than on the level IMO, two systems have to fail to get the car to move. I always do a hard shake test to see if I can move the car before going under.

Jack and jackstands. I have driven up onto some bricks and/or 2x6's. If I needed a set of ramps I'd probably just make some out of 2xsomethings.

Originally Posted By: MRtv
I have some old metal ramps I used on my vehicles. Then one day I bought my Versa Note. Hmmm, I had problems getting the car up on those ramps. The front bumper kept hitting the ramp before the wheels where on the ramp. Now I could jack it up and put the jack stands under there but I like the ability to just drive up ramps. So I bought some 2x8 lumber at Lowes. Cut, glued and screwed them together in such a way that I had a ramp that my front bumper on the Versa Note would not hit on the ramp as it began the upward crawl onto each step of the ramp. The ramp was cut and assembled to go up on four steps. I might add a fifth to get it up just a tad higher. I also put a small block at the end of the ramp to act as a stop so I don't drive off the other end of it. This has worked out very well as a ramp.

782385d1430861466-wood-car-ramps-img_3808.jpg

With the air suspension, I select the highest off-road mode, then crawl under.
grin.gif

But in everything else, yea rhino ramps.

The Focus will get jacked up then set on jack stands, and then boards and wheels underneath it. I try hard to knock it off. The focus just doesn't have the gearing to climb ramps without punishing the clutch.

The Jeep I just crawl under.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back