What oils do WRC Cars run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think no need to be a 0wXx or 5wXx, since they start the race already hot... I'd say 15w50 is a good guess...

Last edited:
Depends on sponsor and engine builder ... Redline. Motul, Mobil1, Ravenol, etc.

If running dry sump (likely) and remote oil tank, they may just pre-heat 50 and fill the tank. Straight grades have no VII's and they change after every event, so not much need for detergents and the like. Prolly very similar to VR-1 Black Bottle or Redline race oil ...

I'd imagine they would run something like Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 , keep in mind there are some prett cold stages in the WRC calendar, Sweden is in the middle of winter isn't it?

If you google a bit, you'll read from Castrol that they've been working on lower viscosity oils in the cars for a number of years.

"About five years ago, we really pushed to reduce the viscosity,” explains Arnfield. “The lower the viscosity, the less drag in the engine, which means we have more usable power. Together we found significant gains in testing, evolutions of which we now use in the Fiesta RS WRC.”

Of course, who knows what viscosity is "lower".

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope
If you google a bit, you'll read from Castrol that they've been working on lower viscosity oils in the cars for a number of years.

"About five years ago, we really pushed to reduce the viscosity,” explains Arnfield. “The lower the viscosity, the less drag in the engine, which means we have more usable power.

That's true to a point. But like everything else, it has limitations. I saw an interview with Ray Evernham once. This was back in his glory days with Jeff Gordon. He said at the Super Speedway, 500 mile races at Daytona and Talladega, they used a thin oil for qualifying, but ALWAYS ran a much thicker weight race oil during the race itself. He said if they didn't there was no way the engines would live for 500 miles at those RPM's and temperatures. Now, what he meant by "thinner and thicker" you be the judge.

almost a decade ago

Subaru_Impreza_WRC_07_blue_e01-1024.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
So what oil was actually in the tin?

It is not unknown for teams to fill whatever oil they want to use into whatever sponsor's can they have. I'm not saying that this is the case for any given team, but a couple of jpegs off of the internet tell you nothing more than what you can see. Maybe they did use that oil - it seems like a good choice - but it is not proof.

Originally Posted By: yannis
almost a decade ago

Interesting photos...I notice that one of the vehicles shown has a large front mounted intercooler and the other has what looks more like a stock one. I wonder if these cars are in different classes or this just reflects the driver's or builder's preference?
I also noticed that the guy in the top photo has MOTUL on his jacket or suit, so I guess he had to at least use a Motul can! Maybe he filled it with PYB 5W30 before the photo was taken...

Not sure about the WRC but the US Subaru Rally team used to use Motul like the former WRC team. A few years ago when I was in Vermont, I stopped by Vermont Sportscar and they gave my wite and I a full tour of their facility. Only two people were in the shop because everyone was away at a rally. One room had shelves fully lined with Motul 300V 15W50 and Motul 10W40 Break-in oil. Now they're sponsored by Royal Purple, but I've still seen a few random Motul bottles in Vermont Sportscar shop pics.

Ohle - That's definitely an open class Subaru rally car in the top pic above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back