Favorite tool to re-learn TPMS on GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
TPMS is kinda new to me. What is the preferred tool to reset TPMS on a 2016 Suburban after a tire rotation. I will be doing this work myself even though it comes with 2 free rotations.

Is a reset tool needed at all? Can't I just rotate and not reset. I know the position will be incorrect, but who cares. If I get a low pressure warning, I will visually inspect all tires and also use a tire pressure gauge to find the problem.

Thinking about ordering this:
https://gmtoolsandequipment.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?itemVID=104013

Put your key in the ignition and turn to the on position. Then hold the lock and unlock down for 10 seconds on your key fob This will start the learning process.

The horn will honk. Start at drivers front and let air out of the tire until you hear a honk. Go to passenger front and repeat. Passenger rear and repeat, and drivers rear and repeat. After it learns you should get 2 Honks and you are done.

No need to buy a special tool AFAIK

Last edited:
Check your owners manual. Might tell you. I believe you had to start the learning process on the dash then get out and lower the air in the tire corresponding to the blinker that was illuminate. The horn should chirp letting you know the computer learned the spot of that new tire. Then repeat at the next illuminated light. Something like that.

Do what Djonny said BUT we use this TPMS tool on ALL GM vehicles at my workplace. Never failed yet

https://jet.com/product/detail/31c3117db36543b6ae0c4d4187ca2610?jcmp=pla:ggl:b_nj_dur_gen_vehicles_parts_a1_b1:vehicles_parts_vehicle_parts_accessories_motor_vehicle_parts_a1_other:na:pLA_629426388_31399750282_pla-161597116140:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&gclid=CNmiwKCunM8CFUWbNwodeJ0POg&gclsrc=ds

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
TPMS is kinda new to me. What is the preferred tool to reset TPMS on a 2016 Suburban after a tire rotation. I will be doing this work myself even though it comes with 2 free rotations.

Is a reset tool needed at all? Can't I just rotate and not reset. I know the position will be incorrect, but who cares. If I get a low pressure warning, I will visually inspect all tires and also use a tire pressure gauge to find the problem.

Thinking about ordering this:
https://gmtoolsandequipment.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?itemVID=104013

The Kent-Moore tool you have in your hotlink is what I've used on my last three GM vehicles. The air out method mentioned no longer works on newer model GM vehicles. I had an 11 Silverado where the air out method did work, but sometime (I think) in the 2012 model year GM did away with the ability to reset the TPMS with letting out air.

The tool mentioned in your hotlink works great though. If you will do a search you may be able to beat the price given in the link. I think I gave a little less, but it was a couple of years back.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your '16 is going to require the tool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sopususer
The air out method mentioned no longer works on newer model GM vehicles. I had an 11 Silverado where the air out method did work, but sometime (I think) in the 2012 model year GM did away with the ability to reset the TPMS with letting out air.

Spot on. GM dropped the function in 2012 models.

The EL-50448 is simple, reliable, and robust.

Do you need the tool? No. After a rotate, the sensors will still report tire pressures and the vehicle will receive them just fine, they just won't be in the proper corrosponding location.

I never have reset the TPMS, if the light comes on pull over and check your tires. I check my tire PSI every two weeks when I also look at them for anything sticking in/out/cracks etc. Too many people depend on the TPMS and never check air pressure or condition of the tire. Just me.

You can do it without a tool. Look it up in your owners manual. The "key" to this all is you have to wait 15 minutes or so before starting the procedure. I could never get them to relearn until I found this little fact out. Its written nowhere in your owners manual. The sensors have to remain still for a bit before it allows the relearn process to happen.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
You can do it without a tool. Look it up in your owners manual. The "key" to this all is you have to wait 15 minutes or so before starting the procedure. I could never get them to relearn until I found this little fact out. Its written nowhere in your owners manual. The sensors have to remain still for a bit before it allows the relearn process to happen.

No, if you read the posts above your's you would see that was stopped and not a feature any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back