Fluid Film DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who has done it? How much do you use per car? How much of a pain is it? What PPE is needed? How long does it take per car? Any other advice?

I did last year and plan to do this year. On my Chevy Trailblazer, I probably used 1/2-3/4 of gallon. On my 2015 Accord, I sprayed very little as there was not whole of exposed mental on the undercarriage to spray. I also sprayed a little on my utility trailer. Of the gallon I bought, I probably have 20% left.

I'm spraying with a 6 or 8 gallon compressor and it was constantly running and I was frequently waiting for the tank to refill. So a minimum of 6 gallon compressor is needed I think, but much better with a 20 gallon or greater compressor. I'm using the fluid film oem or recommended sprayer.

It probably took 20-30 minutes spraying the Trailblazer and it was a little messy. I used rubber gloves and protective eyewear. They say the stuff if environmentally friendly. I wish I had the vehicle on a lift when I did the spraying, rather I had it on jack stands which sucks moving around.

The stuff will drip on you when you spray it. I found the Traiblazer was occassionally dripping for the next week or two. Also, there was the fluid film smell for maybe a month when the vehicle was warmed up.

Using fluidfilm is a good thing come winter, but it is a little messy and smelling for sometime after you spray.

I've gone between a quart and a half gallon, depending upon how heavy I go. But I often will do touchups year round.

I bought a simple paper jump suit, meant for painters. Surprisingly, I've used it at least 5 times, and it still hasn't torn. Sweat like a devil in it, under any amount of sun; but works well to keep dirt and FF off me. I'll wear gloves also, eye PPE is a good idea.

I bought the FF sprayer. I have both of the "wand" attachments, and used them a couple of times, to get deep into areas; but touchups I'll just use the sprayer. Crevices which don't get lots of splash will tend to hold FF longer.

Half hour is about the time required. Give or take. Longer the first time, successive times one tends to get more complacent.
wink.gif
A great time is when doing tire rotation: I like to put the rear up onto jackstands, pop rear wheels off, roll up front. Take apart rear brakes and lube sliding surfaces. Pull out sprayer, go to town. Jack front up, do tire rotations. If one can, put front onto jackstands and spray up front too (although access may be sufficient with just rear up). Do oil change at same time too, if necessary. Do all this work at once, it'll kill a Saturday morning.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How far to Syracuse? Go there and get CarWell done.

That would get my vote too, just way less fuss.
I get my car done annually at KROWN (same as Carwell)

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

That would get my vote too, just way less fuss.
I get my car done annually at KROWN (same as Carwell)

335miles+ however far in ohio he has to drive.... one way.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
People may mistake you for a sheep farmer for quite some time. Provided you live in a country side, most city people have no clue how sheep smell.

They smell baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad
laugh.gif

Both my cars had been done professionally before I got them, so they were all drilled already. I had the Focus "professionally" redone the first year I got it and they did half the job, not spraying behind the rear bumper cover and the fenders under the hood, and its $100!
The spray cans of rust check come up on sale so I thought I'd try those. Turns out 5 of those pretty much does the car as well or better than the pro guys, and the worst part is taking out and replacing the plugs in the doors and body...

Originally Posted By: whip
Who has done it? How much do you use per car? How much of a pain is it? What PPE is needed? How long does it take per car? Any other advice?

I've done it. Bought the gun online and fluid film fr Napa. 1 gallon can was less than $40. Order online and ship to store and save another 10%.

I'll add some links

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ans#Post3860529

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthr...p-Caravan/page3

Fluid film smell lasts about 2 weeks. If you just mix it really well it doesn't drip when you spray it on underbody. I have a 27 gallon compressor. It did cycle on a lot, but that was ok.

Last edited:
About an hour per car, going slowly. More if there are lots of underbody panels to remove.

My 30 gallon compressor cycled quite a bit spraying the FF. I wear grungy clothing, eye protection, earplugs (for the compressor), and a facemask. Of all that, the facemask is the thing I like the most since it filters out most of the smell.

A long way away. I have a local mechanic that offers oil spray. I'm not sure of the brand. They have a machine that heats the oil before it's applied and it cools to a durable waxy coating. The problem is the mechanic is only open M-F so I'd have to use a vacation day, and it takes about 1.5 hours round trip per car. I have three cars, so that's an all day project and it would cost about $180. I'm debating if it's worth it to do it myself.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
About an hour per car, going slowly. More if there are lots of underbody panels to remove.

My 30 gallon compressor cycled quite a bit spraying the FF. I wear grungy clothing, eye protection, earplugs (for the compressor), and a facemask. Of all that, the facemask is the thing I like the most since it filters out most of the smell.

I have a 15 gallon compressor and I have an engine cleaning sprayer. What kind of facemask do you use? If I do three cars, I'd assume the cleanup would be a big job.

I have a 15 gallon compressor and I have an engine cleaning sprayer. What kind of facemask do you use? If I do three cars, I'd assume the cleanup would be a big job.

Get a good respirator, that guys who paint cars use. 3M makes some very good ones, well worth the money. Overkill, yes, but it's your lungs you're protecting.

Or spray on a windy day, and stay upwind.
wink.gif

I actually never thought to do a respirator while doing this... hmm, something else to pick up.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

There was no major cleanup of the garage floor needed in my case. Only cleanup was cleaning the plastic bottles and spray gun with water and then wiping them off.

A long way away. I have a local mechanic that offers oil spray. I'm not sure of the brand. They have a machine that heats the oil before it's applied and it cools to a durable waxy coating. The problem is the mechanic is only open M-F so I'd have to use a vacation day, and it takes about 1.5 hours round trip per car. I have three cars, so that's an all day project and it would cost about $180. I'm debating if it's worth it to do it myself.

IMO it woukd be worth it after the one time cost of the gun kit and compressor if you don't have one. Then you can buy two gallons of FF from Napa for under $80 USD (order online and pick up in store to save 10%). Two cans should be able to do three vehicles.

I will check the door panels this fall and see if they need reapplication. I know my civic needs some areas touched up, but I really sprayed it on thick inside the doors last year.

I only bought a one gallon can last year and didn't have enough to do the total undercarriage of my Caravan, but this year it will be well coated.

With my experience from getting my other vehicles krowned or rust checked there was no way that they used a gallon on each car at a time, meanwhile they charged over $120 with taxes for a small car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Or spray on a windy day, and stay upwind.
wink.gif

I actually never thought to do a respirator while doing this... hmm, something else to pick up.

LOL you can also put a fan to your back when you're spraying it and make your own windy day.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back