NOS Frantz Bypass Filters Arrived:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well curiosity got the best of me, so I went looking for deals on Ebay for nos Frantz bypass filters. I found a good deal on these two filters units for $110.00 USD and free shipping, so I bought them with the intentions of installing one unit on my wife's 2007 Jeep Diesel and the other one in series behind my Amsoil Dual Gard bypass filter. At the price of $ 55.00 USD each, I couldn't pass up the deal:) I already have all the hoses and fittings which are left overs from my Amsoil Dual Gard and Puradyn filter. The units are missing the steel sleeves for the new 1.6" and 1.7" paper rolls, as apparently they don't make 1.5" paper rolls any more:( This sends me on a search for parts, which of course no longer exist, being the unit was made in the 60's and 70's. I was able to get new decals and base gaskets, but no steel sleeves. Well if you can't by it you might as well make it:) So 6 hours later I now have 2 1.6" and 2 1.7" sleeves:) made from 304 stainless pipe cut and turned on my trusty lathe. Here's some pictures:)

I'm now just waiting for the base gaskets and Frantz Stickers that will be arriving in a week or so, then I'll pack them in my suitcase and bring them back to Canada for my 2 weeks off and install them on my wife's Jeep and my Ford F350.:) To be continued.... dammit not sure if TP even works on oil:)

Well done! The coolest thing about the Frantz filters to me is the price of replacement filters!!!

Let us know how the installation goes. Are you doing UOA with particle counts?

FWIW, I got a used "new" oil pan and I'll be drilling holes and welding fittings this weekend. Likewise, I promise pictures of installation when completed.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Well done! The coolest thing about the Frantz filters to me is the price of replacement filters!!!

Let us know how the installation goes. Are you doing UOA with particle counts?

FWIW, I got a used "new" oil pan and I'll be drilling holes and welding fittings this weekend. Likewise, I promise pictures of installation when completed.

I sure will, and yes I will be getting particle counts before and after the first TP roll is changed at around the 5000 mile mark. I'll be back in Canada mid October, so will install then with pictures to follow:) Looking forward to seeing your new system:)

My dad used a Frantz for years - swore by it - I don't have one but do carry their spare filter in my truck
wink.gif

Last edited:
Nice!
What make is this lathe? I collect them too- I have 11.
It started as a backup for my every day lathe and then the backup needed a backup and on and on
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Nice!
What make is this lathe? I collect them too- I have 11.
It started as a backup for my every day lathe and then the backup needed a backup and on and on
smile.gif

The name escapes me at the moment, (I'll go and look tomorrow) but it's a lathe I bought in Qingdao China and had shipped to Hong Kong. I bought this one sample to test and maybe buy more and ship to Canada and the USA to sell, but not sure if I'm going to do that in the future or not. Really nice unit, I've owned it round 4 years now and has been very good. I'll be shipping this unit back to Canada as well as all of my shop equipment by the end of November. I hope I don't start collecting Lathes as well as my motorcycles, engines and trucks:) Dammit I need a bigger shop:)

Originally Posted By: 4WD
My dad used a Frantz for years - swore by it - I don't have one but do carry their spare filter in my truck
wink.gif

I have heard so much about this filter I had to try it:) More to come:)

Finally got back to Canada and installed my Frantz on my 09 Powerstroke. Oil runs through the Amsoil Dual Gard first then into the Frantz. Took an oil sample before install and added 1 ltr after install. I'll take another sample in 5000 Kms before I change out the tp roll (using Kirkland brand). The job took about an hour to install and no leaks:) Here's a video after being installed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6jMuVNx64A

Picture after my road trip:

Nobody ever said that cartridge filter is not worth a s-----
wink.gif

smile.gif
Doing a pre-Frantz particle count and a post particle after 5000 Kms and see if there is any difference.

Be interesting - my dad had one for a good 10 years on a small block Ford V8 ...

Be interesting - my dad had one for a good 10 years on a small block Ford V8 ...

True, oil flow out the return is a lot less since I added the Frantz, but the filters are still hot, so they're working. No leaks from the Frantz, so I'm happy so far. I was very concerned with the clamp style they used, as many users complained about them leaking. Hopefully the lab results confirm that paper cellulose is the better filter:)
eek.gif
Only time will tell.

Originally Posted By: zanzabar
Can you make one of those sleeves for me?
smile.gif
Lemme know how much I'll send Paypal immediately!

I sure can, but have to wait until my container arrives from Hong Kong. Should be here by the end of the month, I can take the units I made for my other Frantz filter and send to you. Not using that unit at the moment, so I have the 1.5" and 1.6" sleeves I could ship. Once I get my new shop set up, I think I might make some of these sleeves out of 6061 aluminum and sell some on ebay. I really love the stainless, but much faster to make them from aluminum.

Changed the first roll of toilet paper at 3200kms. Took a sample before the change and will send it off to blackstone this week. I still haven't received the results from the first sample I sent off close to 2 weeks ago. Was a quick process and not messy at all, took about 10-15 minutes. Here's a couple pictures of the used roll and a video of the process.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtI96w71BYQ&feature=youtu.be

I have two Franz filter going now. I have to ask, why the sleeves? Has TP changed the cardboard diameter as of late? I have a half case of original Franz TP on hand and a few gaskets too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back