oil recommendation for 2000 lexus es300

Status
Not open for further replies.
This engine is known to be prone to sludge with lengthy oil changes. I change the oil around 5000 miles. Vehicle is almost 100% short tripped. 1-20 mile drives. It's always started and either accelerated immediately or having an occasional long idle after start. It's starting to get cold here in Ny and I probably wont change the oil until it gets warm again. So basically I am looking for an oil good for cold starts and immediate moderate acceleration to 4000rpm. I have been using mobil1 5w30 high mileage. I recently replaced the valve cover gaskets and there is no sludge under there. Also the car does not use any oil that I can tell. The level on the dip stick stays full throughout the 5000 miles. Car has about 160,000 on it. Thanks. Ps: I'm not the driver. Someone with no knowledge of automobile function is. I just maintain it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: joegreen
This engine is known to be prone to sludge with lengthy oil changes. I change the oil around 5000 miles.

That tells me you want sludge.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: joegreen
This engine is known to be prone to sludge with lengthy oil changes. I change the oil around 5000 miles.

That tells me you want sludge.
confused2.gif

5000 is not lengthy with Mobil 1. I put 15-20K on mobil 1 EP in several toyotas and the blackstone reports come back telling me to go longer.

When that 2000 ES300 engine was made, the oil was, IIRC, SJ/GF-2.
Today, we are in SN/GF-5 and this oils(even dino oil) are excellent. Since ~2004 & SL/GF-3(IMHO), the oils have been on their way to outstanding and now, we're there.

For 14 years since new, I had a 2001 RX300 with the same 1MZFE engine(SIL now has the RX) and this engine ran mostly on 5W30 Dino or blend with 5000 mile OCIs. Back then, Toyota/Lexus was recommending ~7000 mile OCI and since ~2001-02, have printed an addendum to that recommendation and changed the OCI to 5000 miles.

IMHO, the owner of this ES300 can use any 5W20(now compatible) or 5W30 dino or synthetic in that 2000 ES300 without worry. And there are many 1MZFE owners using 0W20 in the colder weather.

If you see no slugde under the valve covers then your motor is in good shape. I had a 98 Sienna with the same motor. In the winter I ran full synthetic either Mobil 1 5w-30 or Pennzoil platinum.

I tried 5w-20 once or twice and there was no noticeable difference, I would stick with 5w-30 or go down to a 0w-30.

Last edited:
Picked up some m1 5w30 hm and a FRAM ultra at WalMart for about $30. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back