Why mixing PAO oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: Shannow
But what about the visual representations of PAO being neat little spheres of constant size versus the golf/bowling ball/occasional cube representation ?

Marketing!
grin2.gif

When you consider that motor oils contain many different components including multiple base oils and additives, they have a very wide range of molecular sizes. So who cares if one of the base oils is uniform?

Tom NJ

Exactly.
thumbsup2.gif

When Amsoil changed from a majority diester oil to a majority PAO in the eighties, this was their major marketing point - molecular size and distribution of PAO - as if it were a major, new breakthrough in organic chemistry and lubricants.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Whenever I buy a new container of oil, I always separate the PAO molecules by size.

Now we know what happened. You took the big molecules and kept them, and threw the small ones back in the bottle and put it back out for sale for some unsuspecting soul, like in this thread.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Whenever I buy a new container of oil, I always separate the PAO molecules by size.

Now we know what happened. You took the big molecules and kept them, and threw the small ones back in the bottle and put it back out for sale for some unsuspecting soul, like in this thread.

crackmeup2.gif

A centrifuge could do it. When you're done using it, sell it to Iran or N. Korea....

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: Shannow
But what about the visual representations of PAO being neat little spheres of constant size versus the golf/bowling ball/occasional cube representation ?

Marketing!
grin2.gif

When you consider that motor oils contain many different components including multiple base oils and additives, they have a very wide range of molecular sizes. So who cares if one of the base oils is uniform?

Tom NJ

Exactly.
thumbsup2.gif

When Amsoil changed from a majority diester oil to a majority PAO in the eighties, this was their major marketing point - molecular size and distribution of PAO - as if it were a major, new breakthrough in organic chemistry and lubricants.
I am probably wrong but the Diester base oil seemed so much better. PAO is so conventional oil like.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

A centrifuge could do it. When you're done using it, sell it to Iran or N. Korea....

Or just run it through some panty hose?

so Amsoil was "marketing" lieing in other words! i was going to ask about the molecules in group III base oils being similar like PAO!!! few oil sellers say what they use + amsoil is now quite tight lipped, since its not blowing the PAO horn.

I don't think so benjy.

MY understanding is Amsoil used the Hatco diester formula until it became too expensive to use as a majority base oil.

Their literature at the time of the changover to PAO as a major base oil clearly showed their use of and advantages of PAO.

Like Tom said:

Quote:
Marketing!

Tom NJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back