Mercedes M276 oil spec 229.5....or PUP, M1EP etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know MB specs 229.5 and 229.51 Oils of various grades 0W30, 0W40, 5W30, 5W40 etc...

What if one was to use a highly regarded oil like PUP or M1EP?
If warranty coverage is no longer an issue, would the above suffice for the annual 20,000kms change interval?

Or could I just run these oils in my GLK350 (M276 engine) with half the interval?

I'm not meaning to cheap out as I have no problems buying the 229.5 stuff... just being curious

Cheers

Last edited:
Not sure about Canada but here in the States the proper oil is about the same cost if not the same cost..

But to answer your question, I doubt the engine would blow up.

Last edited:
I wouldnt do it.

Pretty sure the engine and rotating assembly wouldn't mind, but that isn't the problem,

Why put the ultra expensive EGR and DPF at any greater risk of contamination plugging up?

229.51 and its additives are designed to have low sulphur, phosphorus, ash as well as insure deposit control.
229.52 the follow on spec has lower oxidation designed to help with the long OCI's

Im sticking with spec'd oil in my 2 benzes.

UD

IF YOU RAN A 40 IT WOULD LIKELY NOT BE SYNTHETIC REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE LABEL STATES.

I WOULDNT RUN A 3.1 HTHS FUEL ECONOMY PRODUCT. IN FACT I DONT LIKE RUUNING IOT IN CURRENT ILSAC SPEC VEHICLES

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
I wouldnt do it.
Pretty sure the engine and rotating assembly wouldn't mind, but that isn't the problem,

Why put the ultra expensive EGR and DPF at any greater risk of contamination plugging up?

229.51 and its additives are designed to have low sulphur, phosphorus, ash as well as insure deposit control.
229.52 the follow on spec has lower oxidation designed to help with the long OCI's

UD

Thanks!

In my GLK350 (m276) I am running Belgium Castrol 0W40, previously German Castrol 0W30.... next fill will be M1 Euro 0W40.

What about the reverse scenario? I have the new Skyactiv-Turbo. This engine does not spec MB229.5/VW502/BMWLL ....so instead of running a PUP or M1EP, any disadvantage to using a Euro spec oil in this application?

opinions always appreciated!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
IF YOU RAN A 40 IT WOULD LIKELY NOT BE SYNTHETIC REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE LABEL STATES.

I WOULDNT RUN A 3.1 HTHS FUEL ECONOMY PRODUCT. IN FACT I DONT LIKE RUUNING IOT IN CURRENT ILSAC SPEC VEHICLES

So Belgium Castrol 0W40 is not a synthetic?

Originally Posted By: Thugzy

Of course it is synthetic, and it is what it is called "True synthetic."
However, I seriously do not understand what you want to achieve with your question?

We all know MB specs 229.5 and 229.51 Oils of various grades 0W30, 0W40, 5W30, 5W40 etc...

What if one was to use a highly regarded oil like PUP or M1EP?
If warranty coverage is no longer an issue, would the above suffice for the annual 20,000kms change interval?

Or could I just run these oils in my GLK350 (M276 engine) with half the interval?

For whatever reason, MB thinks that the oil needs to have HT/HS viscosity of at least 3.5 cP (among other things), regardless if you run it for 1 mile or for 50,000 miles. AFAIK, no grade of M1EP or PUP meets this requirement.

Will it make your engine explode? I doubt it. But what exactly are you trying to achieve?

I suspect you are trying to inventory one oil and only be on the look-out for that product to be on sale, or have rebates. Makes sense to me. One oil for the fleet ...
smile.gif

If that's the case, then I'd run the MB spec oil in everything. Euro Castrol 0W040 would be fine with me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I suspect you are trying to inventory one oil and only be on the look-out for that product to be on sale, or have rebates. Makes sense to me. One oil for the fleet ...
smile.gif

If that's the case, then I'd run the MB spec oil in everything. Euro Castrol 0W040 would be fine with me
smile.gif

bingo

What about the reverse scenario? I have the new Skyactiv-Turbo. This engine does not spec MB229.5/VW502/BMWLL ....so instead of running a PUP or M1EP, any disadvantage to using a Euro spec oil in this application?

Is that new Skyactiv engine under warranty? What oil grade does it call for?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Is that new Skyactiv engine under warranty? What oil grade does it call for?

The 2016 CX-9 Owners manual states any SAE 5W30.... then says Castrol is an approved motor oil by Mazda.

Nothing mentioned about Synthetic of any other specs...

They're not going to check as long as it has a quality filter when it's up on the rack, they'll assume it has good oil
smile.gif

Just right in the oil change date in the back of the owners manual and cruise on ...

I wouldn't do it. Not even at half the interval. HT/HS needs to be met along with the other criteria the MB approval brings to the table.

How did you make that logc leap.

I assumed you are talking about using an ILSAC oil and you stated PUP or M1EP

I have not seen a EM1EP product in a 40 grade. I have seen 10w40HM.

I wouldnt do it.

UD

Thanks!

In my GLK350 (m276) I am running Belgium Castrol 0W40, previously German Castrol 0W30.... next fill will be M1 Euro 0W40.

opinions always appreciated!

Only downside I can see to using this spec as a universal fill for your fleet is that the 229.52 oil can be very hard to find locally in some areas and tends to be more expensive than what your skyactive rig calls for.

If you need to grab some in a pinch because you waited to tomorrow to start procrastinating you may end up SOL.

Id probably break down and keep two oils on the shelf - a 229.52 and m1 or PUP just because its so available and cheap.

I don't know about your MB dealer but mine wants to see actual receipts in case of a problem, another reason to simply stick with whats called for.

UD

I wouldnt do it.

UD

++1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back