Continental Pure Contact Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have experience with them? Tire Rack rates them well as does Consumer Reports. Just thought I'd try to get some 1st hand input. Thanks.

I have 4 of these on my 2004 Passat Wagon, the youngest son drives that car the most...jack rabbit starts and too fast corners etc and these seem to be wearing pretty good. Nice choice, not very expensive.

About 20,000 miles on them on my V70. Very pleased. 235/45R17 on that car.

Good wear, excellent grip (for an all season) good wet performance, and reasonable snow performance (again, for an all season). I would absolutely recommend them!

Last edited:
I've heard 3rd-hand, and personally experienced one case of great driving characteristics but can have weaker sidewalls leading to unexpected flats.

My wife has a set on her 2011 Camry hybrid. They're quiet,have excellent traction and are a good looking tire.

I'd have to look to be sure but I'd guess they closing in on 20k miles. Wearing nicely.

Originally Posted By: meep
I've heard 3rd-hand, and personally experienced one case of great driving characteristics but can have weaker sidewalls leading to unexpected flats.

I have also heard of the weak sidewall issues.

Bought these tires yesterday. Now concerned about the weak sidewall claims here.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: 2civics
Is there anything I can do to prevent problems with weak sidewalls?

Most people with weak sidewall issues run a couple more pounds of air to combat it. Was a real issue with the first gen Continental DWS back in like 2009. People ran like 5-8psi more and that seemed to help quite a bit.

Okay thanks. So what problems should I expect to have? I'm not finding much on soft sidewalls as of yet. Thanks

My car's pressure recommendation is 32psi. If I run them at, say, 35psi...what might be a long term effect? Will the tires wear the same and will the chances of something going wrong (sidewall cracks, etc) increase? Or do tires have that ability to be inflated higher with no issue? Haven't had to concern myself with this before so this is all new. Thanks.

My car's pressure recommendation is 32psi. If I run them at, say, 35psi...what might be a long term effect? Will the tires wear the same and will the chances of something going wrong (sidewall cracks, etc) increase? Or do tires have that ability to be inflated higher with no issue? Haven't had to concern myself with this before so this is all new. Thanks.

I'd run them at like 37 or so personally. You won't see any ill effects in terms of wear. You need to go up quite a bit in air pressure to see anything like center of the tread wear or anything like that. I ran my old DWS 8psi above recommended and never had any wear issues.

If at normal pressure, you go into a corner at decent speed and feel the front of the car list to the outside a tad before gripping and rounding the bend, that is a symptom of a softer sidewall. Whats happening is the sidewall is folding under the wheel and causing a later shift of weight of the car. Another issue with softer sidewalls is that they bubble easier when hitting potholes.

The 'soft sidewall' issue with these tires is not anything like what it is with some KNOWN issue tires. I wouldn't worry at all. Run 4-5psi high and forget about it.

I appreciate your time. I've been very fortunate not to have had a tire bubble in my 30 years of driving. I'm glad I have purchased the hazard warranty to prorate cover the tires in case of a bubble failure.

I appreciate your time. I've been very fortunate not to have had a tire bubble in my 30 years of driving. I'm glad I have purchased the hazard warranty to prorate cover the tires in case of a bubble failure.

Ive also never had a bubble, and I've nailed some potholes with some low profile (like 35 and 40 series) tires. I guess we are lucky ones!

Forget about the soft sidewall stuff. That was a problem with the original DWS not the Pure Contact.
I have over 30,000 miles on mine 235/45-18 and never had any trouble. Good in rain ,ok in snow and
quiet. Also very little flat spotting after sitting for a week.

As far as running a little higher pressure I never had any problem doing that.
My spec. is 38 psi. I've run 42 for better steering, any higher they rode too rough and didn't make the steering any better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back