No Smoke Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

When I wander trade shows I always look for new oils. At Automechanika Frankfurt this year I find this stuff. After talking to them in the booth, watching their video on their website, looking at their Facebook page, I stll cannot tell you why this product exists. The pictures of "smoke" in the video sure look like condensation vapor to me. Better yet, on ebay.uk it sells for about $78 USD for 4L of oil and 5L of "flushing oil" whatever the heck that is.

www.nosmokeoil.com

Last edited:
this defies the laws of physics,

if the engine is worn oil will get past the rings or valve stem seals and end up in the combustion chamber

unless the oil has a fire point of excess of 600 degrees Celsius (the temp at a diesel engine at tdc) there is no way it will not ignite to some extent

sounds like snake oil to me

I can tell you. Some people will buy it to try and pass emission tests in an old beater. If it works one time, and they pass, it is far cheaper than a rebuilt or replacement engine or having to scrap a car.

Somebody will buy it Who knows who they are but they will buy it. However I bet the company and the product will be gone sometime soon

Just my thoughts

I failed an MOT inspection on "visible smoke" with a relatively new Renault 5. Seemed OK to me, but you can't argue with these people.

I gave it an oil change (though IIRC there were low miles on the oil, which IIRC was a supermarket own-brand 10W40) with Castrol GTX 20/50, cleaned out the crankcase breather, and, just before putting it in for a re-test, added a can of Wynn's Viscosity Improver, which came out of the can like Golden Syrup.

It passed, but I had also changed the MOT inspector, which may have been the most important part of the fix.

This stuff could be high viscosity, and/or it could have some bore/ring sealing property, perhaps baking-on. Or it might be low detergent, and/or nothing special at all.

You could also buy some magic goo that you put down the plug hole but I never tried it.

Last edited:
This stuff has been around for a while. I used it to get my Sonett through inspection. It works. Really, really, really thick stuff. Use it before it gets too cold and you should be fine. It really does not smoke!!!

Runs at the thick end of viscosity? Maybe it is 60 weight cut with gasoline; whatever leaks into the combustion chamber just burns off "more cleanly".

Originally Posted By: supton
Runs at the thick end of viscosity? Maybe it is 60 weight cut with gasoline; whatever leaks into the combustion chamber just burns off "more cleanly".

I did think about trying a high end 2-stroke as a test-passer, and might have gone for that on a second attempt, if the treacle hadn't done the trick.

Oddly, the HC emmissions were OK. Don't quite see how that is possible, unless smoke particulates aren't detected by the gas analyser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back