Washer: Would you repair or replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I'm surprised by all the HE bashing.

Our HE vastly out performs a top loader. It gets my dirty garage clothes clean. It's gentle on all my wife's stuff. It uses a lot less water, and a lot less detergent, than a top loader.

I suspect that the folks who are unhappy with them are using too much soap, or stuffing them too full.

But top loader to HE front loader comparisons are like 1960's carburetor to modern, electronic controlled FI...you may love, and feel comfortable with, the top loader, but it's nowhere near as efficient, nowhere near as effective, as a good front loader HE.

+1. Other than some imbalance on high speed spin (which gets the clothes REALLY dry), I've got zero complaints. Our Bosch set has gone through a lot... We use cloth diapers, so we do a lot of wash..

We did cloth diapers too; our Kenmore is 11 years old and still going. Come to think of it, both the washer and dryer are still going after 11 years, no issues (other than the drawer magnet falling out of the washer--minor fix). Not too shabby. Between the well and the septic, I suspect whatever shorter lifespan the washer may have is made up on the lighter well/septic load.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Repair it. Newer ones are all government mandated so they don't fill the basket all the way with water. New tech washers are garbage.

No matter how many times you keep regurgitating that, it is still wrong.

The salesperson at the appliance store told about the gov't mandate when I was looking at washers. Clueless as I was I had to Google it up and there were some articles on it. Didn't test the credibility of the articles but it seems all the new washers are "high efficiency" where they all use a turntable and use low water wash tech.

I was looking at Speed Queen washers when she told me that. Apparently they are the last of the non-HE washers so the water fills all the way to the top. I just returned a top-loading HE washer because it does not wash jeans well and imposed too many limitations.

Front loaders are better.

+1 ...
When I'm overseas - have to use the front loaders in company apartments - good thing I'm just doing gym clothes and weekend clothes - that twisted "ball" is a mess - and the stagnant water traps in the front and stinks. (Have service for office attire).

Two years ago we got high end Maytags with the commercial grade power train. Top load - glass lids - but many low water settings and 2 deep water settings for when it makes sense. (Bedding ?) ... We both like them - made in USA ...

15yrs with Maytag front loader and it works great... if you spin the drum you can hear a little water (must be below), but never issues with mold or smell. Washes clothes better, but it takes longer than our top loader (old KA).

Originally Posted By: Delta
Repair the older unit. If you decide to replace, avoid HE machines at all cost. We've had a front loader and now currently have a top loader HE. It does not get clothes clean unless you put it on deep water wash mode. Kinda negates the efficiency part IMO. The electronics are terrible on our model (Maytag "Commercial Technology") and will often spaz out and need a reset. I'm waiting for someone to get rid of their 70's or 80's machine so I can throw away this $600 brick...

+1

Originally Posted By: double vanos
At all costs avoid any high efficiency machine!!!! All of them are total JUNK! Now having said that, as mentioned above, Speed Queen is the only way to go. As I type this I'm waiting for my LG Wave Force attempt to clean clothes. It predicted it would take 1 hour and 30 minutes to produce way less than stellar results, not even mediocre actually. In order to get any semblance of clean I have to use heavy duty cycle which fills the tub fully. Because there's no agitator, it takes more water to fill that big space and with no agitator the clothes just sit there. All that water requires way more soap than is imaginable just to get lousy results. I have lowered my standards on whites as they all come out dingy. And believe me, my wife uses lots and lots of name brand detergents etc. Anybody who has an HE machine will see my kitchen towels and know that I still have my LG. And that's sad.
Speed Queens don't have the largest capacity but that may be why they do so well. As far as doing large things like comforters, quilts etc. one may have to do them one at a time @ 35 minutes a load OR you could do several items in your large capacity HE washer and wait 2 days for it all to get done - plus millions of gallons of water and too much detergent!
I'm exaggerating of course but you get my drift. I'm selling a few unused items around here to fund a Speed Queen account as they are upwards of a grand...

+111

I have a $1800 LG front load w/dryer that doesn't wash our clothes. It massages them. I just got them both paid off at Best Buy and can't wait for them to die. "Water saving" is code for "not cleaning." I had to live and learn. $1800 wasted, wasted. Oh, but I betcha I save $25 a year in water but I give a couple $100 of stained clothes to charities.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
At all costs avoid any high efficiency machine!!!! All of them are total JUNK! Now having said that, as mentioned above, Speed Queen is the only way to go. As I type this I'm waiting for my LG Wave Force attempt to clean clothes. It predicted it would take 1 hour and 30 minutes to produce way less than stellar results, not even mediocre actually. In order to get any semblance of clean I have to use heavy duty cycle which fills the tub fully. Because there's no agitator, it takes more water to fill that big space and with no agitator the clothes just sit there. All that water requires way more soap than is imaginable just to get lousy results. I have lowered my standards on whites as they all come out dingy. And believe me, my wife uses lots and lots of name brand detergents etc. Anybody who has an HE machine will see my kitchen towels and know that I still have my LG. And that's sad.
Speed Queens don't have the largest capacity but that may be why they do so well. As far as doing large things like comforters, quilts etc. one may have to do them one at a time @ 35 minutes a load OR you could do several items in your large capacity HE washer and wait 2 days for it all to get done - plus millions of gallons of water and too much detergent!
I'm exaggerating of course but you get my drift. I'm selling a few unused items around here to fund a Speed Queen account as they are upwards of a grand...

+111

I have a $1800 LG front load w/dryer that doesn't wash our clothes. It massages them. I just got them both paid off at Best Buy and can't wait for them to die. "Water saving" is code for "not cleaning." I had to live and learn. $1800 wasted, wasted. Oh, but I betcha I save $25 a year in water but I give a couple $100 of stained clothes to charities.

100% operator error.

+111

100% operator error.

No, not really. There's a reason commercial washing machines have virtually no electronics.

+111

100% operator error.

I must say, 100% doesn't leave any wiggle room. Maybe 50% would have been a better response. I wish I was a smart as you
grin.gif

Oh, wait, I just need to keep rereading them until I get it. Yep, I wish I was a smart as you.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back