Wheel size question---a problem here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new Mazda CX-9 has 20x8.5 wheels, 5x114.3 lug circle, +45 mm offset, 67.1 mm center bore. 255/50-20 tires.

I'm planning for snow tires. I have a set of Sorento wheels, 17x7, 48 mm offset, other dimensions the same. The wheels bolt on front & rear without interferences. The Sorento is about 100# lighter than the CX-9; I feel OK about the weight capacity. 255/65-17 tires are the same O.D. as the original tires, and 7" is the minimum allowable rim width for 255 tires.

I don't think there will be a problem with the 255/65-17 tires on these 17x7 wheels. Can anyone see a problem with this combination?

I'm planning on buying Michelin Latitude x-ice xi-2 snow tires. My second choice would be Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV snows. I considered Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2, but they're heavy, and there are reports of them being squirmy on dry pavement.

By the way, we really like this 2016 Mazda CX-9. Comfortable, good handling, good power, good gas mileage (27+ on the highway), a bit bigger than we'd like, but it's fine. Really liking the driving assist aids like auto braking, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, head-up display.

Sounds good to me. The OD is the same and the rim width is sufficient for the tire. As long as nothing rubs the rim you should be good. The weight difference is nothing.

Last edited:
You should be good. Note that many 255/65R17 tires come with a 108 load index. If the tire placard on your vehicle specifies 109 load index tires (many 255/50R20 wheels have that load index in an XL spec), you may get some noise about mounting tires with a lower load index. Some 255/65R17s have a 110 load index, so you do have options if that presents itself.

You could probably also do a 235/70/17 but I only see a blizzak in that size, and pricey.

Skinny bites through the snow better. 255... sheesh!

you are right to be shopping for snows!

The Tire Rack is a good source and has a wide variety of packages to choose from in sizes from 17-20 inches
smile.gif

Out of the tires you're considering, I'd easily go for the Nokian Hakka R2. Probably the best winter tire period. Load index is 114 since it's also XL

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Tire Rack is a good source ....

I'd second that comment. If you look around on their site you can find a comparison of many of the snow tires that will work for your vehicle. You can then optimize your purchase depending on whether snow or ice is your main concern, or even quiet or good tread wear. I've bought tires from them a couple of times but I always use their on-line resources.

The best choice is often obvious. I've been very happy with purchases based on their information.

Quote:
Skinny bites through the snow better. 255... sheesh!

That has been debunked. The contact patch is about the same for the same weight and inflation pressure. wider and shorter vs. narrower and longer. The wider tire has more sipe edges grabbing the snow. The narrow tires may have lower rolling resistance in deep snow. The wider tires may ride higher in snow deeper than the car's ground clearance. Here's what Continental says: http://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/wide-tires

Tirerack is good. They tend to push Bridgestone Blizzaks, great grip, but heavy and squirmy. They offer the Michelins I'm considering, and they don't offer the Nokians (offered by Discount Tire and Tire Factory).

Last edited:
The Blizzak DM-V1s I had on my RAV4 were true winter warriors, but only acceptable for dry highway driving...floaty at normal highway speeds.
But, the DM-V2 might be a totally different tire...FWIW.

A 7" wheel needs more like a 215 or 225 tire IMO. Good luck finding one with an aspect ratio that meets that OD requirement though!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: freetors
A 7" wheel needs more like a 215 or 225 tire IMO.

It really depends on sidewall height/profile.
205 60 15s work very well on my 15x7 Borbets. It's as low as I would go given the roads around here.

downsizing is just smart for snow tyres + as noted narrower is better, as will be the price. many OE setups just stink IMO as i dislike big wheels + the usual rubber band tyres used with them. using a smaller cheaper setup can pay for itself in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back