Where do you buy your car parts?.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried to buy parts locally. I have a NAPA 2 blocks from my house, but they never have anything I need. They give me the "we can order it for you" line every time. Heck, I can order parts myself and have them delivered to my house tax and shipping free. Even the three other chain places nearby, never seem to have what I consider common parts on hand. Anyone else order online just to save time?.,,

First i always try AAP and order online with their promo codes, No other auto parts chain comes close tho their prices, if AAP doesnt have it i usually follow this order.
Autozone.
Oreily.
Napa.

It depends for me. If it's electrical (sensors, ECUs, the like) I go strictly OEM. I prefer factory brake pads for a few reasons. Other than that, I'll go to the big three chains. I've found a few online places that are dealers and sell stuff cheap. If it's not exhorbinant, I'll go that route.

1st - Rockauto.com
2nd - Amazon.com
3rd - majestic honda.com
4th - GMpartsdirect.com
5th- Advanced auto.com with discount code, pick up in store

I don't know so much about saving time but the local parts store was $90 per the same identical part as Rockauto had for $30. Ball joint. Local store is usually next day but saving $120 was worth waiting 2 days. Amazon prime has been good both price(often open box or scratch n dent)and 2 day shipping

Mostly dealer parts, too many bad aftermarket junk parts out there especially from the chain stores. Rock sometimes has nice parts for less money so they are on the list if I have time to wait.
I also use internet sellers for specialty parts or I know exactly what brand I am looking for eg EBC rotors and pads, engine parts, intercoolers, big brakes, etc.

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
1st - Rockauto.com
2nd - Amazon.com
3rd - majestic honda.com
4th - GMpartsdirect.com
5th- Advanced auto.com with discount code, pick up in store

For me it's Rockauto, amazon, ebay, Advanced.

O'Reillys bought out VIP locally and they went from cheap to pricey with no change in convenience or anything else.

For OEM parts I buy them at the dealer if I need them now or Amazon if I'm not in a rush. Since the invention of the online catalog and in store inventory systems I can easily price and compare parts from NAPA or OReilly and have them ready to pickup. My last option is a mom-and-pop operated CarQuest and I just drive down there vs calling in since the counter guys are cool.

Last edited:
Honda dealer. My dad gets 20% off so a lot of times the OEM parts aren't that much more than the junky aftermarket parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I've tried to buy parts locally. I have a NAPA 2 blocks from my house, but they never have anything I need. They give me the "we can order it for you" line every time. Heck, I can order parts myself and have them delivered to my house tax and shipping free. Even the three other chain places nearby, never seem to have what I consider common parts on hand. Anyone else order online just to save time?.,,

B.S. NAPA can get parts SAME DAY, if you order early in the morning, and it is stocked at local warehouse. ...and it's free. I want to know where you getting this "next day" free shipping?

I don't order online, and I use NAPA/Autozone and the Dealer.

I think I would rather walk across glass barefoot than go to O'Reillys. That said,I think Advance Auto Parts is okay to deal with and Napa is fairly good as long as you can hit their sales. Never understood why AAP bought CarQuest either.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

B.S. NAPA can get parts SAME DAY, if you order early in the morning, and it is stocked at local warehouse. ...and it's free. I want to know where you getting this "next day" free shipping?

I don't order online, and I use NAPA/Autozone and the Dealer.

Depending where you live some NAPA stores do a "will-call" to the nearest NAPA warehouse so you can pickup the parts at the warehouse faster than the delivery parts runners drop off time.

Last edited:
I order most of mine from the UK. If there is something from the US it is Rock Auto, amazon, or some dealer, depending on the part.

I usually buy from eBay. Good deals with free shipping for Subaru OEM and aftermarket parts. I recently purchased both a Wix air and cabin filter from 2 different ebay sellers. Both had free shipping. The cost on Amazon and Jet was higher and l couldn't get free shipping on Amazon unless l spent $49.
I didn't want to go through the hassle to locate them locally only to be told they are not in stock.
I hardly use Amazon since they raised free shipping to $49 purchases. I almost always find parts cheaper on eBay.

Rock Auto.

My mobile mechanic has sources to the actual factories for some of the more common parts (like Caravan bearings). It was literally the same price to come get him to fight those old rusty ones in the back and install his bearings, than it was for me to order white box bearings from Rock Auto.

I love Amazon.

I load up all the parts I need for scheduled stuff, Add to Cart, then move them to Save for Later.

Then I get to monitor the prices, sometimes there is a steep drop.

A while back I saw Hitachi coil packs for my Fit (Beck Arnley reboxed OEM ones) go down to $59.99.

I wanted to jump on 4, but figured that was too OCD for me.

Just got Bendix D1394 pads for $35, Free Shipping, by far cheapest price for me, even cheaper than Rock Auto as you have to pay CAN exchange rate, and shipping.

So that's a great trick, saves a lot of cash and all the prices are tracked for you, you don't have to keep keying in part numbers and checking. Even tells you if the price increases or decreases, love how easy it is.

Depends on what it is, when I need it, what brands I like for a particular part. I'm very particular. I've figured out which applications are great in various budget brands and which aren't.

Here's my basic breakdown:

AAP with coupon for in store pickup:
Batteries
Gear oil (discount won't work on most fluids but they work on gear oil!)
Techron
Shop Towels
Rotors
Calipers
Motorcraft/NGK Plugs
Car Quest Red oil filters
Kleenview wiper blades

Napa:
3M brake cleaner (Super powerful jet, great straw/trigger, doesn't lose pressure quick, lower smell)
Sil Glyde
Zerex 'Asian' Coolant
Zerex G-05 Coolant
Diesel fuel filters

Amazon:
EP Auto cabin air filters
Pentius Air Filters
Pentius Fuel Filters
Mann air filters
Tools
Some parts and supplies if they're on prime

Harbor Freight:
PPE
Cleaning gear
Misc supplies like o-ring assortments
Gloves
Specialty tools I'll only need a few times in my life

Rockauto:
My main go to for specific brand and/or OEM supplier parts.
With Amazon I often get grey market or open box returns for parts. Sketchy.

Tasca Auto Group:
Ford/Lincoln/Merc/Mazda OE parts

O'Reilly:
Wix air/oil filters
Lubeguard Red
Valvoline Ford/Lincoln/Mercury chassis grease (Moly + Polyethylene)

Ebay:
Used parts
Misc [censored] I don't need fast like crimp connectors, crush washers, fuses, mini bulbs for dashes, etc.
GMB parts. (Sometimes amazon or rockauto won't offer a GMB pump or bearing)
UAC parts. (Also hard to find on rockauto/amazon sometimes)

Autozone:
Penzoil Syncromesh

Walmart:
Fram TG and Ultra filters
Value batteries for certain apps
All my oil.
Supertech oil filters.
Michelin and Supertech wiper blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back