MASSIVE negative camber - seriously comical amount

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I'll start of by apologizing for not having a picture of this gem.

Leaving work I saw a Scion FR-S that was slammed and had what looked like -30+ degrees of camber in the rear. It actually looked like the wheel was at a 45* angle, but I'll conservatively say -30*. Based on the non-existent ground clearance and presumably ultra high spring rates, what in the ever loving [censored] is the point? His contact patch has to be so freaking compromised that even if he cornered at maximum G's he wouldn't gain more contact than if he started with only a few degrees of negative camber.

The only thing I can think of, is he's obviously a Tokyo drifter.

Thoughts?

He didn't get enough attention as a child.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You noticed him.

Mission accomplished.

I've never seen something so ridiculous. I've only seen this aggressive of camber in memes and cartoons. I've seen plenty of slammed, hellaflush, and stances setups, but never anything like this. It was pretty amazing...ly bad.

I guess you never heard of #stance #hellaflush #hatersgonnahate ? Yep it's another dumb trend in car mods where they unsafely hackjob the rear suspension to get these aggressive rear angles for looks than function. A real drift car wouldn't have that type of suspension setup.

I bought I'd seen it all, but never anything this crazy! Like every kid in my area, growing up in the 90's, I loved low-riders with big chrome wheels and a flush look.

Maybe I've been in CT for too long, and -40-45* is the new -5*. Is this really so common?

My Forester needs a couple degrees of negative on all four corners. Subaru spec is neutral/0 degrees but she plows ever so slightly sometimes if I'm a little spirited in a curve. But I'm only talking one or two deg should help mine. That guy you saw sounds like an idiot.

Yup, it is the idiotic "stance" crowd. I just love seeing an M3/M5/M6 that some mentally deficient has done the same treatment to. Stretched tires, ridiculous camber, yup, you just took a car that handled incredibly well and turned it to trash, bravo! You sir, are a clown! I wish the MTO would crack down on them, as they are a danger on the road to everybody around them. Ridiculous tire wear, unpredictable handling, reduced braking performance, you name the handicap and they've nailed it.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Leaving work I saw a Scion FR-S that was slammed and had what looked like -30+ degrees of camber in the rear. It actually looked like the wheel was at a 45* angle, but I'll conservatively say -30*. Based on the non-existent ground clearance and presumably ultra high spring rates, what in the ever loving [censored] is the point? His contact patch has to be so freaking compromised that even if he cornered at maximum G's he wouldn't gain more contact than if he started with only a few degrees of negative camber.

Thoughts?

"Yo, I have this idea. I'm going to buy a car that is about literally nothing other than handling, and then ruin the handling. I know -- genius, right??"
- That guy, probably

On a more serious note: it's a look. I can't stand it, it has no functional purpose, and it'll wear the suspension and wheel bearings in basically no time at all. But it's a look, and some people like it. That's the beginning, middle, and end.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Yup, it is the idiotic "stance" crowd. I just love seeing an M3/M5/M6 that some mentally deficient has done the same treatment to. Stretched tires, ridiculous camber, yup, you just took a car that handled incredibly well and turned it to trash, bravo! You sir, are a clown! I wish the MTO would crack down on them, as they are a danger on the road to everybody around them. Ridiculous tire wear, unpredictable handling, reduced braking performance, you name the handicap and they've nailed it.

Every once in a while, I hear about cops cracking down on this stuff. Those are some of the crackdowns I appreciate. :]

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Thoughts?

His tires will last 4000 miles before the tread on one edge is 1/32"

I see idiots like this in SoCal. They drive up and down the main boulevards like Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, blasting their stereo, trying to look cool, seeking attention. They literally drive up the road, U-turn, come back, and repeat over and over.

Near where I live a 16 year old received a new BMW M5 a few years ago on his birthday along with his driver's license. He immediately had the car slammed and that resulted in an obscene amount of negative camber on the real wheels. The car actually bounced up and down over the slightest bump in the road and often scraped especially going in an out of driveways. The kid claimed the car handled much better now but I don't think anyone believed him. He also said that as soon as he received his next allowance he was going to install hydraulics and the estimate from the same guy that slammed the car was only $25K. He said it would be a bit more than the sound system but it was worth it because it would make his car "cool".

He went to a BMW driver's experience day where an instructor rides around a parking lot course to teach you how to drive your BMW in a more spirited fashion and experience the build in qualities of a BMW. The instructors declined the offer to ride with him and they encouraged him to find a car club that better suited his style.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The kid's BMW looked just like that.

It's amazing that the factory did not know that this would make their cars handle better.

Yes, it is amazing that decades of experience around the 'Ring with some of the best engineers and drivers available in the world and all of their expertise can be trumped by a 17 year old with daddy's bank account cruising around the block.

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back