Evinrude 140 Bubble Back ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the other day my bud and I went to look at, and buy, a used Evinrude 140HP cross flow V4 "bubble back" circa 1978. It turned by hand (stiff), the bottom end was not beat to death. Prop looked good. Minor rust here and there. Leaking seal on the power trim/tilt ram ... Oil stain on leading edge of prop, so lower end will need seals too ... Came of a burned boat ... $300
smile.gif

Got it back to his yard and got the back-hoe to move it to an out of the way corner. Now I'm down a Pop's doing elder care. While here, I'm building an engine stand out of scrap from the remodel for the care givers apartment ...

Now I'll get to try all my old tricks to get it running
laugh.gif

Big hot of Tri-Flow in each cylinder through the plug holes. MMO down the carb throats while spinning it with the starter - still plugs out. That ought to loosen it all up. Been sitting for years. Then we'll hit with some 24:1 and see if it'll light
laugh.gif

Thoughts ...

These were some of the biggest OMC motors of the time, weren't they?

Yup, then they went to the looper 60* V series (4 & 6's).

I'm pretty sure they used this same 90* V layout and some parts on the early V-8's
laugh.gif

Nope - the V8's were 60* V's as far as I can tell. Just looked ...

Last edited:
Well I just got a correct year/model original owners/operators manual off ebay. Nice to have
smile.gif

I already have the Seloc books and the OEM Parts List ...

Fuel lines - doubt that vintage dealt with corn juice - The local Yamaha shop even uses "Rude" hoses ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back